i7 and command rate 1T aka 1N

Nov 26, 2005
What I am curious about is how much of an effect does running command rate 1T or 1N with an i7 system return as compared to an AMD system being now they both have on die memory controllers.

Thanks

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
On AMD boxes the difference was very very slight and only really showed a difference in benchmarks. In real world use, it got you another 2-5fps in games maybe. Not much more than that and not worth the trouble if it required lots of tweaking and adjustments to get stable.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
:confused:

BTRY, videogames was writing in support of what you said.

Anyway, I think it's a good question you're asking. I'd also like to know, in addition to knowing how higher memory speed and bandwidth affects overall performance on i7. I also would guess it should be more akin to amd64 than core.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
The difference between 2T and 1T wasn't large or noticeable. There was a point in time of the Athlon 64's life that there was a ton of hype over it, but people realized it was placebo, just like memory timings. It is likely the same case with the Core i7.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: dguy6789
The difference between 2T and 1T wasn't large or noticeable. There was a point in time of the Athlon 64's life that there was a ton of hype over it, but people realized it was placebo, just like memory timings. It is likely the same case with the Core i7.

Correct.

Dig up some old tests and benchmarks. in Sandra, the synthetic benchmarks are jaw dropping. In reality, the difference is so slight, it's not even noticable. I recall a very comprehensive test in games and encoding jobs that demonstrated that the difference was about 1-5 fps in games, IF that.

My advice? Worry more about finding quality memory than 1T.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: nerp
Originally posted by: dguy6789

Correct.

Dig up some old tests and benchmarks. in Sandra, the synthetic benchmarks are jaw dropping. In reality, the difference is so slight, it's not even noticable. I recall a very comprehensive test in games and encoding jobs that demonstrated that the difference was about 1-5 fps in games, IF that.

My advice? Worry more about finding quality memory than 1T.

I can't speak directly to 1T or 2T Command Rate timings on the AMD64 platform. But I can speak directly to the importance of memory speed and bandwidth. Going from ddr2-533 to ddr2-800 made a relatively huge difference in overall system performance, not just in synthetics. This is as opposed to the Core platform, where memory bandwidth makes little difference.