i7 920 stock.. over heating?? =S

Chronictee

Aug 12, 2010
Hello, I am new to overclocking, and I was thinking about overclocking my I7920. I ran Prime95 stress with coretemp just to check out my cooling. The temperature of my processor began at 38c and kept raising to almost 90 then i stopped the stress test. I have an antec 1200 case with stock 7 fans. is there something going wrong with my fans? Because i think 87c for a stock processor is high isnt? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

_tyler

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Simple answer is the I7 consumes next to nothing idle, while being a power hungry beast under load. Yes that is really hot for a stock processor, but I haven't heard anything about an I7 other than it runs hot. Your going to need an aftermarket cooler if you plan to overclock it, as you can see at stock with the stock heat sink it already runs really hot.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The low idle temperature is partially a product of EIST/Speedstep. Disable that, and your idle temps should be much higher (not that you should want that).

Your CPU's stock HSF may be mounted improperly, or it may be that the HSF itself is barely adequate for the task of cooling the 920 as LoneNinja suggests.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if its the stock cooler thats the problem. They suck, really bad as you found out depending on ambient temps they sometimes overheat even at stock speeds. Spend $40-60 on a good cooler and then shoot for 4Ghz.

Chronictee

Aug 12, 2010
I was checking out the box it came in, and it said the fans were the "best gaming" heres a link to the case i got http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njkz I was wondering is there an option somewhere I could change the speed of the two fans at the rear of the case, the three fans at the front have dials. when I play games on my pc the temp goes to 60c. is that too high for stock? and what are some good aftermarket fans i could switch in?

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Lol, how bad can airflow be in an antec 1200 and 7 fans.
It could be *horrible* if the fan directions (and/or speeds) are incorrect.

e.g. Try facing all seven fans inward facing at full speed. :twisted:

That said, however, he said "I have an antec 1200 case with stock 7 fans," which I'll assume means in their stock position, which should be directed to maintain proper case air pressure.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Aside from fan configuration, it also depends on how good the cable management inside the case is, and Antec cases aren't exactly known for providing great cable management features. Not sure about the 1200 model, but if it's anything like the 300 or 902, it's pretty bare with cable management, and one can easily screw up airflow especially with non-modular PSUs, lots of harddisks (meaning more sata cables), etc.

That said, I don't think it's really air flow that's the problem here. i7's run hot, and stress-testing it with the stock fan will reveal as much. In normal operation it probably would never run that hot (gaming, etc), so in a sense the stock fan is adequate, but for overclocking, YMMV, but it probably isn't reasonable to expect a decent OC amount, especially if ambient temps aren't on your side.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
The stock fans are crap. Once I finally got rid of mine I noticed it had only been making contact with about half of the CPU. Do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket cooler. 90C at full load at stock speed is really high. My overclocked i7-930 only gets to 78C at full load when overclocked to 4.0GHz.

An new HSF really will make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The stock one is crap, pure and simple. I just built my i7 system on friday and took one look at the stock heatsink and was like holy shit no wonder there are so many i7 overheating threads.

Also as a sidenote my i7 was not very flat at all, i lapped it and it took forever as there was a fairly large depression in the center of the chip, took me a hour to flatten it out with some 1200 grit then 2000 grit paper. I have lapped well over 100 CPU's and this was defiantly the worst one ive ever seen. Buy hey it OC's like a champ so im not complaining.

Chronictee

Aug 12, 2010
So is there any way i can set the fan settings? if there is no setting.. should i replace all the fans in my case? or just the front ones? or what would be the best choice.. and i want some fairly easy fans to install, this is my first time doing overclock and tweeting my computer o_O

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Im doubting it is the case fans unless your case is a POS or you live in an oven.

My vote is improper mounting of the stock HSF.

Take it off, remove the stock paste with rubbing alcohol, and put on some good AS5 or equivalent.