i7 920 overclocked to 3,33... makes no difference...?!?

J van E

Jan 16, 2009
I must be doing something wrong here... I have a i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with 6 Gb of Ram (1333, 9-9-9-24). I am using the stock cooler but wanted to see what happened if I overclocked my system. At stock (running Vista 64 bit) my 3DMark Vantage score was 12919. I ran Prime95 on all cores and temps reached 60 (already). I decided to give it a try anyway.

So in the BIOS I disabled Turbo (already disabled EIST and C1E), set blck to 166 so the CPU runs at 166x20 = 3,33. I set the mem multiplier to 8 so the ram runs at 1333. That's all I did. No voltage adjustments and I also let QPI (or whatever) at default. I only changed those 3 things mentioned before. All is cool so far. Rebooted and the post screen showed me the CPU was running at 3,33. Nice!

I ran Vantage again... The score was 12727...? I ran Prime... temps still reached 60...?

It seems the OC doesn't do anything at ALL...??? I mean, with the CPU at 3,3 instead of 2,66 I should notice a difference SOMEWHERE, right...?

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Using an actual cpu benchmark not a gpu one would be the first step.

Generally temps go up a lot more with voltage increase. Also use linpack for testing stability it will stress the cpu much more that what prime will.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Dark Cupcake
Using an actual cpu benchmark not a gpu one would be the first step.

Yup.

Originally posted by: Dark Cupcake
Generally temps go up a lot more with voltage increase. Also use linpack for testing stability it will stress the cpu much more that what prime will.

Not necessarily. Try OC'ing a CPU on stock voltage and checking temps, and then raising the voltage but reduce the CPU frequency to stock. You'll find that the temps will be higher with the first scenario. The harder the CPU works, the more heat.

OP, it's possible that the dramatic OC on your chip has introduced enough instability that it is negatively effected your Vantage score. Try a more modest OC - like 10% - and see what happens. Perhaps your CPU is throttling. Also, verify your overclock from within Windows.