i7 920 or 940?

Lothar1974

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2003
I have read alot of reviews and it seems that most would go for the 920. I recall seeing that the 940 is about 10% faster than the 920. Since I don't over clock is there any real advantage to getting the 940? I do alot of video editing and picture editing as well as some gaming. Thanks!

Jason

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
Dont waist you money on a 940 when the 920 is the same thing as the other 2 cpus 940 and 965 just with 1 lower multi??
You dont even really have to overclock at all just set bios to turbo this has nothing really to do with overclocking but will basicly trick your cpu into unlocking a extra multi and run your system at the same specs as the 965 Extreme all without overclocking..
You dont have to touch fsb,multi's,or voltages bios will auto set to the new highest unlocked multi and wammo your $300 cpu is really a $1200 cpu..
I would do it this way if you dont want to overclock or go into buying a new heatsink as running this way will still keep your cpu cool but give you that extra little bit of umph your wanting..

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: RaptureMe
Dont waist you money on a 940 when the 920 is the same thing as the other 2 cpus 940 and 965 just with 1 lower multi??
You dont even really have to overclock at all just set bios to turbo this has nothing really to do with overclocking but will basicly trick your cpu into unlocking a extra multi and run your system at the same specs as the 965 Extreme all without overclocking..
You dont have to touch fsb,multi's,or voltages bios will auto set to the new highest unlocked multi and wammo your $300 cpu is really a $1200 cpu..
I would do it this way if you dont want to overclock or go into buying a new heatsink as running this way will still keep your cpu cool but give you that extra little bit of umph your wanting..

Turbo mode only bumps the multiplier up a step when
1) Your processor is running under TDP
2) You are probably using less than four cores (single and dual threaded applications)

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
Turbo mode only bumps the multiplier up a step when
1) Your processor is running under TDP
2) You are probably using less than four cores (single and dual threaded applications)

What I dont understand the question??
I am just telling him how to get more for his money without overclocking..
My specs are in my sig but I am not running anything at TDP...
I have turbo on and 20Multi x 200Blck with Eist off Cpuz shows a multi of 21 though and fluxuates between 4.2GHz-4.225Ghz.
I have used multi thread prog's maxed out all 8 cores for compression and video editing..
Still never lost that extra multi..
The point is though I am using a $300 cpu that matches a $1200 with out over clocking just by putting the turbo option on...