• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question i7-880

gicecora

Oct 14, 2020
Greetings!

I'm waiting for AMD to release the new Zen architecture next week before I build an entirely new PC. Presently, I run a system from the Jurassic era - a Gigabyte P55a-UD3 with an i5-750, 12 GB RAM, an SSD, and Win10 Pro. I just can't bear this thing any longer, and you could say that I deserve a new system!

I believe the i7-880 supports hyperthreading, which the i5-750 does not. My question is, would an i7-880 provide any appreciable performance improvement that might "buy" me another month or two, so I can buy on Black Friday or Cyber-Monday? [Removed]

After I build my new system, this one will be relegated to running security software, most likely on Linux, so a minor "upgrade" is not completely senseless.

Thanks in advance!

We don't allow selling or trading outside of the FS/FT forum (and you have to have a least 25 posts before you can access that sub-forum).

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
You shouldn't be wasting your time "upgrading" that system. The hyperthreading will make minimal difference. The smallish boost in frequency will help slightly but honestly that's like putting lipstick on a dead hooker at this point. Nothing is making that more attractive.

Reactions: damian101

NTMBK

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2011
Why use such an old power-hungry system to run security software? If it's running 24/7 it's just going to run up your electricity bills, while being hot and noisy.

ASK THE COMMUNITY