i7-5775C Locked multiplier?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Just got my i7-5775C up and running. I am coming from an i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz.

Asus Z97 PRO Wifi AC
16 GB DDR3 2133
Noctua DH15

First thing I did was set the multiplier from x37 (stock) to x40 with increased voltages. I wanted to spend the day tuning to see what the highest stable clockspeed I could get.

When booting into Windows, I noticed I was only hitting 3.7 GHz even when running a benchmark. I opened CPU-Z and saw that the multiplier was set at 37, but the range was to 42!

I am on High Performance settings with the 100% CPU limit. I made sure Turbo and speedstep are on. I see that my voltage settings are saved and works fine in Windows. Just my clocks are locked at x37...

Any ideas? I have tried the newest BIOS on my motherboard first and then tried an older one that supports Broadwell. I know this CPU is supported, and it does boot into Windows just fine. If I set the multiplier below x37, it changes...

I am using my R9 290 for video.

I am trying to OC like I did with my 4690k; just change the multiplier and core voltage. What could be causing this? :'(

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
@ dave_the_nerd

From where did you get that 5775C is not an unlocked model? AT did their review and OC this SKU with multiplier change.

Hi-Fi Man

Oct 19, 2013
I'm going to post this PM here,

Disable any throttle features in the motherboard. Stuff like VRM/CPU safety features and increase current and load limits for CPU and VRM. I had to do this to prevent throttling. Also make sure turbo boost is on and you have the multiplier control set manually. If all else fails it could be the motherboard.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the help Hi-Fi Man. I did send you a message.

I disabled all throttling safety measures and power saving stuff. No change. I decided to try something desperate: Auto OC.

The BIOS claims it was going to increase CPU performance by 36% :\
What actually happened was the BCLK went from 100 -> 102. That did actually increase clockspeeds. But I am definitely not interested in a BCLK OC.

I called Asus support. They claim the i7-5775C is NOT overclockable. I actually asked the woman I was on the phone to double check that information. I was told all Asus higher ups are busy and they will contact me another day via email. Lovely. I am assuming Asus is completely incompetent and have not added support for Broadwell OC?!?

I can't believe my luck.... There must be something that is causing this lock. I cannot admit defeat. I will force Asus to release a BIOS patch enabling OC or something.

I really could use some out-of-the-box ideas right now. Thanks so much for the replies so far. This forum is a lot more helpful than anyone at Asus (although that is not saying much :D).

From October 2015:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78016-Gryphon-Z97-can-t-overclock-i7-5775C
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81065-Impact-vii-i7-5775c-compatibility

"Asus needs to wake up"

I really don't wanna go through the hassle of changing motherboards just to gain an OC. WTF ASUS.

Both users of the links above dumped their Asus Motherboards.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Looks like they didn't see a "K" suffix, and so they left it locked in the BIOS, when it should be unlocked.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Looks like they didn't see a "K" suffix, and so they left it locked in the BIOS, when it should be unlocked.

Letters can be hard... Might as well say this thread is "Solved" as Asus is incompetent. What do you guys think I should do?

I am so pissed at Asus. I actually really like this motherboard as well. I would hate to take my build apart. I will be contacting Asus again tomorrow or the next day. I plan on forcing them to acknowledge the issue but I am not confident in them doing anything.

edit: MSI owner with same problem: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18662393&page=11

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Letters can be hard... Might as well say this thread is "Solved" as Asus is incompetent. What do you guys think I should do?

I am so pissed at Asus. I actually really like this motherboard as well. I would hate to take my build apart. I will be contacting Asus again tomorrow or the next day. I plan on forcing them to acknowledge the issue but I am not confident in them doing anything.

edit: MSI owner with same problem: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18662393&page=11

ASRock owner also same problem?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/61932-cant-overclock-i7-5775c.html

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah I thought the 5775c was cool but then I read up on all the issues with Motherboards and decided against it.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
I really could use some out-of-the-box ideas right now.

I need to test some register dump software, if you want to give it a go I'll take a look at the results and see what can be done.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I didn't give up. First thing I did was remove my GPU and reset CMOS because I couldn't get my IGPU to work. I then put my 4690k back into the motherboard. Afterwards, I was able to get the Flash to work.

Now my iGPU is functioning. Unfortunately my RAM causes the Motherboard to not boot if in Dual Channel configuration. Cool! So currently I am running in single channel mode. Didn't have that problem with the 4690k...

What makes it all worth it is I now have my i7-5775C fully unlocked!!!! Victory is mine. I now have to hope that when I put my R9 290 back in, I will still be able to overclock (what a stupid thing to worry about).

I got the day off to OC this 5775C yesterday. I spent the whole day getting this POS working. What a waste of a day.

So I need to verify:

OC will remain with dGPU.
Getting dual-channel working again. I think I'm gonna have to start a different thread about that unless I decide to buy different memory.

I was able to OC the 5775C via Intel XTU as well. I think I'm gonna play around with this beast iGPU for a couple days before going back to the dGPU. Thanks again for the help. **** you Asus.

edit: I believe the culprit was the way I updated the bios initially; via the tool in the Bios. Flashing it with the physical button on the motherboard seems to have updated the BIOS correctly.

edit 2:

I have the chip OC'd @ 4.2 GHz 1.38v. The Cache is @ 3.8 GHz. Very happy with performance. About the same as an i7-4790k. It runs significantly cooler than my 4690k at load which is a big plus!

Only issue I have is the broken RAM configuration. I made a thread here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2474105

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bravo OP on your tenacity. Good work finding the bent pin too (reference to other thread). You would not have enjoyed life with single-channel memory.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Bravo OP on your tenacity. Good work finding the bent pin too (reference to other thread). You would not have enjoyed life with single-channel memory.

Thanks! Nothing like a PITA hardware adventure. Life certainly does suck with single channel memory! Lovely feeling when everything works again. Asus did a good job overall. Their tech support on the other hand.... They never even contacted me back. I am glad I don't have to depend on them.