i7 3820, 3930k, or 4770k

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
I am rigless now, and not sure what to do...

I had a 3770k but sold it to a friend. I would like more cores, but not sure how haswell will perform vs. 3930k or 3820.... I would also like to know if ib-e will be much of a performance upgrade over sb-e?

E.g. 3930k vs. 4930k

Thanks

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
If you're waiting this long, why not wait a little longer? But, only if the 4930k is 8 cores/16 threads. I'm in the same waiting line. If it turns out to be another hex core, I may cry and take out my grief on an unsuspecting Haswell quad.

Aug 11, 2008
If you're waiting this long, why not wait a little longer? But, only if the 4930k is 8 cores/16 threads. I'm in the same waiting line. If it turns out to be another hex core, I may cry and take out my grief on an unsuspecting Haswell quad.

Do you have any good indications that Haswell-e will be 8 core? There were a lot of rumours/hopes that Ivy-e would have 8 cores, but that didnt happen, and I doubt Haswell will either. Just my guess though, and a feeling based on how Intel seems to be really resistant to increasing cores or even clockspeed.

Nov 26, 2005
In a recent thread, someone said they would be getting a 4770K from a insider friend from Intel.. this friend also said Haswell will be an overclockers dream chip.. don't quote me though

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
I wanted 8 cores but seems unlikely... I don't oc and I code, game, multitask, in summary power user freak....

I am just guessing that ib-e will be more about power usage reduction vs. Speed increase. So if that is the case I dont see any reason to wait then.

Avx2 I am guessing will not be until hw-e?

What about sata express expansion slots on mbs? Any guess if x99 would have it?

That brings me to, likelihood of x99 by years end?

Problem I see with intel releasing x99 as a 2011pin, is 2011 is dead after ib-e right? So why make a new chipset for one rev? Why not use it for hw-e. Would make more sense....

So 3820 or 3930 both support of pci-e 3.0 ?

Any news on that asus p9x79-ws e new mb coming? Wondering how much it will cost? As the new marvell controller supports sata 3.0, so I am guessing my problem with only 2 sata 3 ports from intel could be fixed as 3rd party controllers suck vs. Intels for ssd drives at a fullspeed.....

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Its hard to say really. Haswell won't be out until late july from what I read, so you will be waiting a while unless you go 3930k now.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly? Haswell may be a better bet. It has the on-die graphics and video encode/decode hardware- and with the latest drivers, Intel has enabled OpenCL and QuickSync even when you have a discrete GPU plugged in. That extra bit of coprocessor power should come in handy. That, combined with Haswell's slight clock bumps, slight IPC increases, and very useful new instruction sets (making it more future proof) would make it my choice.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
Honestly? Haswell may be a better bet. It has the on-die graphics and video encode/decode hardware- and with the latest drivers, Intel has enabled OpenCL and QuickSync even when you have a discrete GPU plugged in. That extra bit of coprocessor power should come in handy. That, combined with Haswell's slight clock bumps, slight IPC increases, and very useful new instruction sets (making it more future proof) would make it my choice.

That has crossed my mind also... but what I would like to know is Broadwell going to be 1150 pin also? and will it work in a Z87 MB?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That has crossed my mind also... but what I would like to know is Broadwell going to be 1150 pin also? and will it work in a Z87 MB?

Hah, that's a slightly loaded topic... the rumours are that Broadwell will be BGA only (the soldered laptop sockets), not the desktop LGA1150 socket. But it's all rumours so far.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
If you were buying right now, I'd say get your 3770k back and pick up overclocking. If you can wait, 4770k.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Do you have any good indications that Haswell-e will be 8 core? There were a lot of rumours/hopes that Ivy-e would have 8 cores, but that didnt happen, and I doubt Haswell will either. Just my guess though, and a feeling based on how Intel seems to be really resistant to increasing cores or even clockspeed.

Guys Haswell will be mainstream first. A Ivy Bridge E 6 core and Xeons up to 15 cores.

Heres the thing. If you buy a 3820 socket 2011 it will be compatible with the new Ivy E chips.

Haswell doesnt bring much to the table until 2014 when they will begin shipping enthusiast Haswell chips. 6 to 8 core . and up to 15 cores on Xeon

2013 is the year of Ivy Bridge E and it will be faster then Haswell. 2014 Haswell catches up and makes for enthusiasts in 2014. Dont expect anything more then 8 core,, it will be 6 and 8 core.. like that.. gl

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
I would not even consider the 3820 because its a locked quad only. If you are leaning x79 get the 3930X or wait for ivbE.

3rd party controllers suck vs. Intels for ssd drives at a fullspeed
Agreed.

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
In a recent thread, someone said they would be getting a 4770K from a insider friend from Intel.. this friend also said Haswell will be an overclockers dream chip.. don't quote me though
Oops.

That is the only way I would even consider upgrading from Ivy Bridge...otherwise I will be waiting for Broadwell and beyond.

TY-1

Mar 27, 2013
I'm looking at the i7-4770K for my new build this summer as my old desktop is glitching way too much and isn't worth the time, effort, and money to try and upgrade and my laptop is just getting me by right now between my work applications and my gaming.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Ivy E chips and 15 core xeons will squash any haswell thrown at it in 2013. In 2014 haswell will make a push with 6 core for desktops etc.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
Wasn't that you?

No. I remember quoting the entire post but putting the members words about overclocking in BOLD letters. I think all I replied was "nice" Apparently this member's friend is an insider at Intel yada yada ...

It'll be very temping if it's true. But I hear the C2 revision won't be out till August. Argh.

Pheesh

May 31, 2012
FYI the c2 rev is for the chipset, not the CPU. The CPU doesn't need to change. If you leave open applications from a small subset of superspeed USB3.0 devices and your computer enters sleep mode, then upon wake for a few of those devices you would need to re-open the PDF or video that was playing at the time of sleep.

That may be a dealbreaker for some people (mobile) but I imagine it's not for many desktop users.

Also, I'm sure there are going to be motherboards with their own USB3 chipsets in the desktop market, so should you happen to run across that problem with a USB3 device you could restrict the affected device to the 3rd party chipset ports. The issue would be invisible to most desktop users, IMO.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
FYI the c2 rev is for the chipset, not the CPU. The CPU doesn't need to change. If you leave open applications from a small subset of superspeed USB3.0 devices and your computer enters sleep mode, then upon wake for a few of those devices you would need to re-open the PDF or video that was playing at the time of sleep.

That may be a dealbreaker for some people (mobile) but I imagine it's not for many desktop users.

Also, I'm sure there are going to be motherboards with their own USB3 chipsets in the desktop market, so should you happen to run across that problem with a USB3 device you could restrict the affected device to the 3rd party chipset ports. The issue would be invisible to most desktop users, IMO.

I am curious to know, if say Gigabyte, Asus ect... will just bypass the intel usb3.0 controller and just use 100% 3rd party? and avoid it altogether... As I am guessing they have already made plenty of Z87 MB's and are ready to ship so my guess is no on this.... unless they rework them...

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I can't wait to get past my 4.4ghz limitation with Haswell. NZXT sent me new fans for my Havik 140 and it's ready to go.

Nov 26, 2005
Hmm, I just did some reading up on USB 3 an it seems like a win win. Looks like I'll be holding off till it's fixed. By then maybe the inflation/bloating on the prices will subside a little

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Hmm, I just did some reading up on USB 3 an it seems like a win win. Looks like I'll be holding off till it's fixed. By then maybe the inflation/bloating on the prices will subside a little

I bet the motherboards will be priced to sell. So I might get a bugged version.