Question i7 12700k no temp in MSI MAG Z690, using less than 11% capacity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

truevine77

Nov 1, 2022
Windows 11
MSI MAG Z690 DDR4
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32gig 3200 Ram
2 Inland Performance 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe sticks
Fuma 2 Rev B cooler
Master Cooler GX 750W PSU - using two 4 pins to fill 1 of the eight pins on motherboard

Ordered but not yet received: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC LHR 8GB GDDR6

Scores 1723 on cinebench r23. On CPU-Z it scores 10% compared to a Ryzen 9 5950x. It does not get above 11% capacity on Task Manager. It does not show temps on my MSI MAG Z690 motherboard. I've updated the bio, reset the bio to default. I'm not sure if this is a CPU, motherboard, or windows 11 issue (I had the same issue on Windows 10 - then upgraded). How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Cinebench R23 score B.png
    Cinebench R23 score B.png
    45 KB · Views: 12
  • CPU Z of 12700K.PNG
    CPU Z of 12700K.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Intel CPU diag of i7 12700K.png
    Intel CPU diag of i7 12700K.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 10

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Amazing that the cpu is only running at 400 mhz and still passes intel's diagnostic test.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1420704-12700kf-stuck-at-400mhz/

I suggest you read the thread above and either use Throttlestop to display Limit Reasons or look for a similar section in the HWINFO Sensor Status window, it looks like this:
1667360855457.png
IIRC during a limit event the corresponding section is displayed in red, so you should be able to spot it easily. If the the HWINFO display isn't helping, give Throttlestop a chance, you won't have to configure anything there as you won't be using the software, just hit that "Limits" button and read whatever is listed in the pop-up window.

limits-button.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ZGR

truevine77

Nov 1, 2022
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1420704-12700kf-stuck-at-400mhz/

I suggest you read the thread above and either use Throttlestop to display Limit Reasons or look for a similar section in the HWINFO Sensor Status window, it looks like this:
IIRC during a limit event the corresponding section is displayed in red, so you should be able to spot it easily. If the the HWINFO display isn't helping, give Throttlestop a chance, you won't have to configure anything there as you won't be using the software, just hit that "Limits" button and read whatever is listed in the pop-up window.

View attachment 70229
This post from the Linustechtips forum is very revealing.

Normally I would say to clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen and your computer will instantly start running at full speed.

The problem with 12th Gen motherboards is many of them are locking this feature. ThrottleStop shows that the BD PROCHOT setting is grayed out so you cannot disable BD PROCHOT.

If MSI does not fix this with a BIOS update then you will need to replace the motherboard.

This has been a common MSI issue for 10 years now. Frustrating that you can no longer use ThrottleStop to fix this issue.

Check your board for a LN2 switch. This used to be the source of these problems. If you find this switch, toggle it back and forth 101 times to clean it and make sure it is in the correct position.

A sensor somewhere on your motherboard has failed. This is what is sending false throttling messages to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
This post from the Linustechtips forum is very revealing.
I would not take that for granted, rather use HWINFO or Throttlestop to identify the reported cause for throttling on your system. If you're getting a similar BD PROCHOT warning then you can definitely consider what the user unclewebb wrote (he is the author of the software, so he knows a lot on the subject).

Reactions: ZGR

unclewebb

May 28, 2012
Amazing that the cpu is only running at 400 mhz and still passes intel's diagnostic test.
Not that amazing. Intel's diagnostic software is too dumb to report BD PROCHOT throttling issues. A CPU stuck at 400 MHz is definitely not OK.

Have you run ThrottleStop yet? It takes 2 seconds to click on the Limits button to open up the Limit Reasons window to diagnose this problem. If BD PROCHOT is glowing red, you can use ThrottleStop to clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen. This tells the CPU to ignore these throttling signals. If BD PROCHOT on the main screen is grayed out and not available, you need to send your motherboard in for replacement.

I would ask for a full refund and I would shop elsewhere. As mentioned, these BD PROCHOT throttling problems have been around for over 10 years and have plagued a wide variety of MSI motherboards. Even if MSI can send you a motherboard that fixes this problem today, it might happen again a day, a week or a year from now after the warranty expires.

It was a terrible idea for manufacturers to start locking out the BD PROCHOT setting on their 12th Gen motherboards. That leaves users with no easy way to fix this problem without motherboard replacement. One smart user was able to mod his BIOS so the BD PROCHOT setting was left unlocked. Tricks like that are beyond my knowledge level.

truevine77

Nov 1, 2022
Unfortunately BD PROCHOT is greyed out. Would changing the PSU make a difference? Seems like I need another PSU and another motherboard.

Thanks so much for your help and patience.

Attachments

• Throttlestop.png
    Throttlestop.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 3

unclewebb

May 28, 2012
@truevine77

I have never seen a BD PROCHOT issue caused by the power supply. On desktop computers, it is usually a motherboard issue where a sensor shorts out or something on the motherboard shorts out. This triggers an external throttling signal to be sent to the CPU using the BD PROCHOT signal path.

BD stands for bi-directional. It was designed by Intel to allow sensors external to the CPU to throttle the CPU just as if the CPU was too hot and thermal throttling. It uses the exact same method. I believe Intel XTU continues to incorrectly report this as thermal throttling even though the CPU is not hot at all. At only 400 MHz, the CPU is having trouble reaching 30°C.

Intel does not publicly document BD PROCHOT and most of the tech gurus working at Geek Squad, etc. have never heard about this issue.

Why do you need another power supply? Replace your defective motherboard first before replacing anything else.

Edit - On many MSI motherboards, it used to be the LN2 switch that would short out over time. Check your motherboard manual to see if you have a LN2 switch. There might be a jumper that was installed incorrectly on the motherboard.

Reactions: Tlh97 and coercitiv

truevine77

Nov 1, 2022
@truevine77

I have never seen a BD PROCHOT issue caused by the power supply. On desktop computers, it is usually a motherboard issue where a sensor shorts out or something on the motherboard shorts out. This triggers an external throttling signal to be sent to the CPU using the BD PROCHOT signal path.

BD stands for bi-directional. It was designed by Intel to allow sensors external to the CPU to throttle the CPU just as if the CPU was too hot and thermal throttling. It uses the exact same method. I believe Intel XTU continues to incorrectly report this as thermal throttling even though the CPU is not hot at all. At only 400 MHz, the CPU is having trouble reaching 30°C.

Intel does not publicly document BD PROCHOT and most of the tech gurus working at Geek Squad, etc. have never heard about this issue.

Why do you need another power supply? Replace your defective motherboard first before replacing anything else.

Edit - On many MSI motherboards, it used to be the LN2 switch that would short out over time. Check your motherboard manual to see if you have a LN2 switch. There might be a jumper that was installed incorrectly on the motherboard.

Thank you. I already ordered a new PSU. The Techs here was also warning me about building a new computer with an old PSU. I'll donate it along with my old build.

I'm trying to return the motherboard. Thinking of a Asus Tuf Gaming Z690-PLUS WiFi D4. This has been frustrating because I brought this upgrade parts to Belize to work on a project or I would have returned the motherboard earlier. Was trying to salvage it. I looked at the manual and did a search. I see no mention of a LN2 switch.

On the brighter side of things. No damage from Hurricane Lisa last night.