i5 vs i7

jgigz

Jul 14, 2006
As per the article, i5 has the on-die PCIe controller; Where as the i7 doesn't. Are there any significant performance issues or changes that would make one processor a better fit for someone or vice versa?

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
For a single GPU, there is basically no difference in performance.

For Multi-GPU, there is a bigger difference when using very high-end cards but this difference, from my estimation, is not large. At most I'd say 10%, but this is just a guess. I'm still waiting to see a review on the i5s x8/x8 configuration compared to i7-X58's x16/x16 configuration when using high end cards.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: jgigz
As per the article, i5 has the on-die PCIe controller; Where as the i7 doesn't. Are there any significant performance issues or changes that would make one processor a better fit for someone or vice versa?

We should add a Proviso because LGA 1156, supports Ci7(Hyper-threading) and Ci5 (Non Hyper-threading) 8xx series CPU's w/integrated PCI-E controller

LGA 1366 Supports Ci7 (Hyper-Threading) 9xx series CPU's... w/o integrated PCI-E controller

Just to keep FUD to absolute minimum

For the Average Joe the LGA 1156 On-Die PCI-E Controller is a plus...at stock speeds

For a hardware enthusiast the LGA 1366 is truly the way to go.

jgigz

Jul 14, 2006
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln
For a single GPU, there is basically no difference in performance.

For Multi-GPU, there is a bigger difference when using very high-end cards but this difference, from my estimation, is not large. At most I'd say 10%, but this is just a guess. I'm still waiting to see a review on the i5s x8/x8 configuration compared to i7-X58's x16/x16 configuration when using high end cards.

Which is better for Multi-GPU? You never say whether the difference comes from the on-die controller or if it is better or worse. Form what I gathered from the anandtech article, the higher bandwidth the i7 boasts from not PCIe on-die controller would serve better for a multi-gpu setup.

Would the on-die controller give quicker access times over the higher bandwidth of the i7 though? Would higher bandwidth or faster access speeds (if thats what the PCIe controller actually does) would make a more realistic performance change?

BlackBabyJesus

Sep 21, 2009
Which is better for Multi-GPU? You never say whether the difference comes from the on-die controller or if it is better or worse. Form what I gathered from the anandtech article, the higher bandwidth the i7 boasts from not PCIe on-die controller would serve better for a multi-gpu setup.

Would the on-die controller give quicker access times over the higher bandwidth of the i7 though? Would higher bandwidth or faster access speeds (if thats what the PCIe controller actually does) would make a more realistic performance change?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=9

ekoostik

Sep 10, 2009

So for 2xGPU - with the limited results we have so far, LGA 1366 is marginally better. But really we need more performance numbers here. It could be that LGA1366 blows LGA 1156 out of the water on 2xGPU. Or not. We just don't know without more testing. But when considering the 4xGPU setup, even with the few measurements we have it seems a safe better your performance will be much greater with LGA 1366.

Of course, at anything less than the highest settings and max resolutions, the two may very well tie. I'm looking forward to seeing more performance results, and soon I hope.

jgigz

Jul 14, 2006
Originally posted by: BlackBabyJesus

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=9

I somehow skipped that page when first reading the article, thanks.

ekoostik:

I agree. I would like to see more performance results as well. Though with the Hydra release only 30 days away I may have to wait another month or 2 though.

Nov 26, 2005
As per the article, i5 & i7 8xx have the on-die PCIe controller; Where as the i7 9xx series don't. Are there any significant performance issues or changes that would make one processor a better fit for someone or vice versa?

FIXED