i5 OC: are my voltages too high?

twobases

Oct 14, 2006
I'm at 3.68Ghz and I think I'm running too hot under load (80+ C)

These are my voltages:

Vcore: 1.238
VTT: 1.225
PLL: 1.820
DRAM: 1.620
PCH: 1.170

Thanks in advance.

[Edit]
I was able to lower VTT to 1.21 while raising the clock to 3.76Ghz. Core temp rose up to 83°C while stability testing with IntelBurnTest. Load temperatures do not generally rise so high. Only in IntelBurnTest.

Last edited:

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
Your voltages are fine, but that is hot. I don't know anything off the top of my head about that cooler, but I would think it would perform better than that.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Either your ambient temp is crazy high, you have horrible case airflow, or your heatsink isn't seated properly.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
My only comment really is on your VTT - I'd use the 21x multi so you don't need as much on the BLCK for that frequency. You could probably get away with a VTT below 1.2 even. Also, what kind of improvements have been made with that heatsink? Last time I used an AC heatsink was for my Opteron, way back in the day. I mean if it's essentially the same, with newer mounting, than maybe that's the best it can manage.

twobases

Oct 14, 2006
Unfortunately I think my multiplier is locked at 20x (MSI P55-GD80). I may have used too much thermal paste when I set-up the heatsink. I'm not sure. My idling temperatures have been around 40°C.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Your PCH voltage is much too high - it's for the "south bridge," just leave it at stock. Try reseating your heatsink and see if it helps.

twobases

Oct 14, 2006
Ok, I have re-overclocked my system at 3.80Ghz. It got up to 82°C after 5 iterations on IntelBurnTest. Here are the voltages (updated 12/15):

Vcore: 1.219
VTT: 1.195
PLL: 1.820
DRAM: 1.620
PCH: 1.065

I don't know if my PCH is still too high. Feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
I'm running on auto-vcore with a hyper 212+ and I'm getting 32 C idle and 45 on load so it seems like you need better cooling.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I'm running on auto-vcore with a hyper 212+ and I'm getting 32 C idle and 45 on load so it seems like you need better cooling.
You're no where near his frequency though. I agree though, the next thing is to beef up the cooling. neutralizer, try running it with your case open and see how different the temperatures are. To be honest, no application is ever going to make your CPU as hot as Intel burn test. If you're barely cracking 80C there, you should be fine in normal applications.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My freezer pro can barely keep a E6400@3.2 cool. Its too small a cooler for what you are doing. A TRUE or megahalem is what you need.

twobases

Oct 14, 2006
I think I need to re-specify something. I originally said I was running 80°C or more under "load". I ran into those temperatures running IntelBurnTest, which from my understanding runs much hotter than regular load temperatures. Running Core Temp for long periods, it records highs between 50-60°C. I only go above with IntelBurnTest.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
You're no where near his frequency though. I agree though, the next thing is to beef up the cooling. neutralizer, try running it with your case open and see how different the temperatures are. To be honest, no application is ever going to make your CPU as hot as Intel burn test. If you're barely cracking 80C there, you should be fine in normal applications.

True, but I can't see me hitting 80 C at 3.8 either. I was running OCCT for load test. How's that compare to the Intel burn test? Actually, my temps are only like 2 C lower with case open.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I think I need to re-specify something. I originally said I was running 80°C or more under "load". I ran into those temperatures running IntelBurnTest, which from my understanding runs much hotter than regular load temperatures. Running Core Temp for long periods, it records highs between 50-60°C. I only go above with IntelBurnTest.
That's my point. Unless you plan on running Intel Burn Test 24/7, you're fine. Could your cooling be better? Sure. Does it matter? Not really.
True, but I can't see me hitting 80 C at 3.8 either. I was running OCCT for load test. How's that compare to the Intel burn test? Actually, my temps are only like 2 C lower with case open.
Whoops, that was a typo, that suggestion was for twobases, not you, sorry. Remember that power consumption basically scales linearly with frequency and quadratically with voltage, so you have a much higher heatload to deal with (although the Hyper 212+ is a much bigger and better heatsink). Intel Burn Test does get the CPU hotter than any other program I've used. It's completely unrealistic, but if you really want to push the limits of your cooling, it's the way to go. I usually use Prime95 in my testing.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
That's my point. Unless you plan on running Intel Burn Test 24/7, you're fine. Could your cooling be better? Sure. Does it matter? Not really.
Whoops, that was a typo, that suggestion was for twobases, not you, sorry. Remember that power consumption basically scales linearly with frequency and quadratically with voltage, so you have a much higher heatload to deal with (although the Hyper 212+ is a much bigger and better heatsink). Intel Burn Test does get the CPU hotter than any other program I've used. It's completely unrealistic, but if you really want to push the limits of your cooling, it's the way to go. I usually use Prime95 in my testing.

I'll try 3.8 from the eleet windows tool. Anyone know if the auto-vcore will handle 3.8 GHz fine?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I'll try 3.8 from the eleet windows tool. Anyone know if the auto-vcore will handle 3.8 GHz fine?
That's the problem with auto Vcore - when you really start pushing hardware, you many times have to do your homework and set it up correctly to be stable. Offhand, I'd say you'll need 1.25V+ anyway

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
That's the problem with auto Vcore - when you really start pushing hardware, you many times have to do your homework and set it up correctly to be stable. Offhand, I'd say you'll need 1.25V+ anyway

There's a set up for auto v-core? I thought it just throttles up and down. So if I don't set it as auto, it can't dip as low as 0.8 V on idle, right?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
There's a set up for auto v-core? I thought it just throttles up and down. So if I don't set it as auto, it can't dip as low as 0.8 V on idle, right?
You're assuming the motherboard can correctly regulate the Vcore with the load. It's easier to ensure stability with a fixed setting. I haven't had time to fool with auto Vcore much so I can't really comment on the prudence or variability of the setting.