i5-6600k mouse lagging and slowdowns problem

Cassin

Sep 6, 2016
Hello, I have bought my PC around 6 months ago. Recently I have spotted that my mouse is lagging while CPU has high utilization. During the stress test it is quite laggy, has slowdowns for a couple of second periods. I dont really know what is happening because this problem appeared just some time ago. I reinstalled my windows but its still an issue especially in some games it wasn't the same way before. Maybe its caused by update of Windows 10, I am not sure about that tho. Do you have some ideas what it might be? Currently it's overclocked to 4,5 GHz with 1,36 V but this problem persist also while cpu is on default clock 3,5 GHz. Temperatures below 65 celcius.

Here is my config:

Display: LG 24" 24GM77-B 144Hz
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X
RAM: HyperX Fury Black, DDR4, 16GB(2x8GB), 2400MHz, CL15
SSD: HyperX FURY 240GB SATA3
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK
PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W

Here u can see the stuttering on 60 fps when window is "jumping" instead of following mouse smoothly. Same happens in games while aiming sometimes :)

igje5w.png

Last edited:

Cassin

Sep 6, 2016
You get it wrong. I just wanted to show an issue. While I'm playing games it happens sometimes. Even when i open Word file with a couple of pages and drag it somewhere. Sometimes during websites loading and when i have a couple of pages opened.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Might be a process somewhere that is using a lot of CPU without you knowing about it. Quad cores without HT can get bogged down fairly quickly during intensive processes like gaming, but you shouldn't be experiencing that kind of thing for normal desktop operations.

Might want to use process explorer to see if you can track down what's causing the problem. Or maybe task manager might tell you something.

Cassin

Sep 6, 2016
The only clue is that problems has started after I upgraded Win 10 but im not sure. Yesterday I reinstalled Windows and got updated straight away so cannot rly compare the performance. Well, I don't think microsoft could do this to me :(

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'd try eliminating the GPU (or its drivers) as the source of problems by uninstalling the Nvidia drivers, removing the card, and run off integrated. If it still happens, I'd try rolling back to Windows 10 Anniversary and set it as a metered connection without ethernet connected before connecting it back, which should allow you to control updates.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say it's probably the SSD. You might want to check for firmware updates or see if it's a known issue.

EDIT: this is assuming the behavior happens even when CPU usage isn't at 100%. If something is heavily taxing the CPU, you should figure out what process(es) are causing that usage, first. If you have an antivirus/antimalware/security program, uninstall it (Windows Defender is sufficient, anyway).

Last edited:

Cassin

Sep 6, 2016
Yes, I was considering SSD as a potential problem, have to examine it closer. As I already said this problem shows up only when something is being loaded like websites, applications etc. when I'm using a couple of them. Thanks for all your ideas now it's time for me to test everything right and hope we will see some results.

Cassin

Sep 6, 2016
I think I sorted out this problem but still need your opinion guys. I overclocked my CPU in override (fixed) mode to 4,5 GHz and I haven't been experiencing any issues with games and stuff.... until I changed it to Dynamic mode with offset. Then everything started, mouse is lagging. Despite I put limit of 1,38V to give it some reserve of power it is slowing down from time to time. Clock is dropping down, before I changed it, they were fixed.