i5-6200U + 8GBDDR4 vs. i5-6300HQ + 4GBDDR3L

Masterpiece

Dec 25, 2016
i5-6200U + 8GBDDR4 vs. i5-6300HQ + 4GBDDR3L

Can somebody tell if these two options are any different? Does the lower RAM cancel out any extra performance from the HQ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The "HQ" model CPU is a true quad-core, the other is a dual-core. I would go with the "HQ" option, myself, it should be significantly more powerful in the CPU dept. Is the RAM on that laptop upgradable? If so, then just upgrade the RAM after you get it. I think 8GB is a "sweet spot" for desktop usage, though you could probably make do with 4GB, if you're spartan in your program usage.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
From what I remember they don't usually offer that option much for HP laptops.

That would honestly surprise me. I would like to think that RAM is possibly one of the most commonly upgradable features of a laptop, other than in ultra-thin / ultrabooks and netbooks.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Yeah, usually RAM & the HDD or SSD are changeable on laptops. Though, I've seen a few wonky ones where you have to remove the keyboard to get at the RAM. Not particularly hard, though.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Thank you for your advice. I'm not sure if it's upgradable. Will look into that. From what I remember they don't usually offer that option much for HP laptops. This is the model https://notebookspec.com/notebook/7279-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ak041TX.html
A few pieces of useful info in case you decide to go with that HP Pavilion:

1. Notebookcheck reviewed the model with a higher configuration (with i7, more RAM and an additional SSD) - While some components are different from what you are considering, the review is very useful in giving you info about the overall quality of the product - from screen quality to cooling behavior etc. By seeing what different components can be used in the same unit, one can also learn more about possible upgrades (RAM, SSD), but more on that bellow.

2. HP usually makes available manuals for their units, both user guides and service manuals. The page for this specific laptop is here. If you open the service manual at page 10 you will find info about supported memory configurations (up to 16GB of DDR3L 1600 RAM, the unit has 2 memory slots) and at page 45 detailed info on how to remove bottom cover and replace a number of components - including adding a M2 SSD.

3. To complete the picture, here's a laptopmedia.com guide showing you detailed pictures of the open unit.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Thank you for your advice. I'm not sure if it's upgradable. Will look into that. From what I remember they don't usually offer that option much for HP laptops. This is the model https://notebookspec.com/notebook/7279-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ak041TX.html

- Intel Core i5-6300HQ Processor
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (4GB GDDR3)
- 4 GB DDR3L
- 1 TB 5400 RPM
- 15.6 inch (1920x1080) Full HD
- DOS Operating System

I didn't know laptops were still coming with DOS installed ;)

Masterpiece

Dec 25, 2016
Great tips here. Thanks for the info. Lol..Free DOS. I'm not actually buying from this shop, just an example of the Model/specs, so not sure why they only have DOS??? Maybe it means you get to choose what version of Windows your want to buy/install. In Asia alot of Laptops have an option to install Windows yourself or buy it with the laptop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, Microsoft publically claims that PCs sold without OSes are intended to pir8 Windows. So I guess they provide FreeDOS, as a way around that.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Well, Microsoft publically claims that PCs sold without OSes are intended to pir8 Windows. So I guess they provide FreeDOS, as a way around that.
Do you have a source for that? I doubt MS could afford to publicly claim this, sounds like grounds for a lawsuit. If it were a MS induced problem, they could ship them with Linux on board, which would be far more toxic to MS than pirating :)

I actually prefer laptops without OEM Windwos, I'd rather just buy a separate license. In fact, my home laptop was just that: it came with FreeDOS and it's been running a Win 8 early sale license ever since (updated to 8.1 then 10 as they launched). If and when this unit bites the dust, I can still use the license.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Google "Microsoft Naked PCs Piracy". I couldn't find MS's official written page that I saw that on originally, they may have taken it down. Their anti-piracy page seems to be mainly videos now.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-dont-sell-pcs-without-operating-systems/

In February, Microsoft launched an initiative called Keep IT Real, in which "feet on the street" investigators would visit technology vendors suspected of installing counterfeit software on PCs before selling them.

In the article, Alexander appeared to reveal that these investigators will also have a role in clamping down on the sale of base systems.

"Microsoft is recruiting two 'feet on the street' personnel whose role will be to provide proactive assistance during customer visits, and help you get the value proposition for pre-installed software and related services. Give us a call and let's get those feet walking," Alexander wrote.

The FSF Europe is alarmed by the prospect that customers who request a base systems would risk a visit from Microsoft's investigators.

http://www.darkreading.com/risk-man...us-jobs-economy-microsoft-says/d/d-id/1101401

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/52796-microsoft-to-cut-off-dualboot-windows-option

Microsoft repeatedly has cited software piracy as the reason it believes OEMs should not be permitted to ship “naked” PCs upon which users could load their operating systems of choice.

www.linfo.org/naked_pc.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/microsoft-emergingmarkets-idUSL4N0QE5BF20140810

Microsoft began lobbying Lenovo in 2004 to stop shipping naked PCs, but the Chinese firm countered that its margins were too low, a person familiar with the negotiations said. Two years later - just days before then-President Hu Jintao visited Gates' U.S. home - China announced a new law requiring PCs to be shipped with operating systems. That merely dented piracy rates, which fell to 79 percent in 2009 from 92 percent in 2004, according to the BSA.

Lenovo said it reached an agreement with Microsoft in June of this year to ensure that Lenovo PCs sold in China would come pre-installed with a genuine Windows operating system.

Last edited:

Masterpiece

Dec 25, 2016
Interesting! I'd venture to say 1/2 of the computers in Asia run on a pirated version of Windows. Big losses there.