i5-3570k voltage at 4.7GHz

Protomize

Jul 19, 2012
Okay, after running various tests in IBT and Prime95, I can safely say that at 1.24v my i5-3570k is stable at 4.7GHz. Is the amount of voltage that I am applying the normal range for this clock speed, too high or fortunately very low?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That is right in the ballpark for 4.7GHz if delidded. If you are not delidded then that is a dang good OC for the voltage. (my 3770k took 1.295V for 4.7GHz without delidding)

Protomize

Jul 19, 2012
That is right in the ballpark for 4.7GHz if delidded. If you are not delidded then that is a dang good OC for the voltage. (my 3770k took 1.295V for 4.7GHz without delidding)
It isn't delidded and came straight out of the box. :awe:

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002

Can recall your volts at 4.7 when you were delidded.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can recall your volts at 4.7 when you were delidded.

No problem, you are interested in Test #3 which is the optimized voltage for 4.7GHz operation:

47GHzcomparison3770kbeforeandafterDelidding.png

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Okay, after running various tests in IBT and Prime95, I can safely say that at 1.24v my i5-3570k is stable at 4.7GHz. Is the amount of voltage that I am applying the normal range for this clock speed, too high or fortunately very low?

Looks like you got yourself a very nice chip. With some great cooling 5.0Ghz should be very attainable with a decent voltage.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Thanks for the chart idc.
The 0.037 difference is a good reason to delid.

The next time I remove my mb I need to lenghten mb plate cutout for the cpu so I can mount 4 studs and springs on to the rear wb bracket instead of the quick removable shoulder screws which are on it now.

If my wife didnt have a half dozen loose house cats stealing my pwn fan wires etc I would have delidded it and gone caseless from the start.

Protomize

Jul 19, 2012
Wow, and I just lowered the voltage to 1.23v and it remained stable. I tried 1.22v, and errors and symptoms of instability were occurring. I guess I got lucky with this chip! Thanks guys. :biggrin:

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Are you running that OC 24/7 or is it doing the turbo / idle thing? If it's the latter, mind sharing what settings you changed (ie LLC, C3/C6, and so on)?

I get mine stable at 4.5 in that voltage range too, likely even lower, but it's not a big fan of rebooting. Before I make a thread on it I figured I'd just keep an eye out for what others are doing, maybe I missed something.

(Don't mean to hijack, just wondering what settings you used).

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Are you running that OC 24/7 or is it doing the turbo / idle thing? If it's the latter, mind sharing what settings you changed (ie LLC, C3/C6, and so on)?

I get mine stable at 4.5 in that voltage range too, likely even lower, but it's not a big fan of rebooting. Before I make a thread on it I figured I'd just keep an eye out for what others are doing, maybe I missed something.

(Don't mean to hijack, just wondering what settings you used).

What do you mean not a big fan of rebooting?

dqniel

Mar 13, 2004
That seems very good for a 3570k. I've seen a bunch of 3770k's hit that speed at that voltage or lower, but very rarely a 3570k. Mine is stable at 4.7Ghz around that voltage, but only after delidding and lapping the IHS and HSF base.

I see that you said yours is straight out of the box. Very impressive.

What does the voltage show under Prime Small FFT load in CPU-z? Also, would you mind sharing the temps during as well. Lastly, would you let us know the batch of the CPU? Thanks!

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Seconded. If it's not stable during boot at those voltages, then it's not stable.

I can't boot above 4.8GHz, but I also don't pretend >4.8 is stable, at the moment I can only test if 4.8GHz is stable by opening the windows... in the summer 4.6 would be my max.
What does the voltage show under Prime Small FFT load in CPU-z? Also ... temps ... Lastly ...batch of the CPU? Thanks!
Second that as well, FWIW: 3224B649

Last edited:

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Why does everyone use IBT with avx to see if your cpu and system is stable.
I remember when sp1 and AVX came out it raised your scores by 30-40% in ibt.
I also read that noting uses AVX instructions except a few stress tests at present.
Wouldnt it make more sense to use the earlier ibt without AVX.
All avx is doing is heating up your cpu more.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why does everyone use IBT with avx to see if your cpu and system is stable.
I remember when sp1 and AVX came out it raised your scores by 30-40% in ibt.
I also read that noting uses AVX instructions except a few stress tests at present.
Wouldnt it make more sense to use the earlier ibt without AVX.
All avx is doing is heating up your cpu more.

Ask yourself these two questions - what is it that you think you are accomplishing when running a so-called "stress tester" and how is it that the "stress tester" is accompling such?

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Ask yourself these two questions - what is it that you think you are accomplishing when running a so-called "stress tester" and how is it that the "stress tester" is accompling such?

To my thinking the so called stress tests only heats up the cpu wih instuctions to see if it will fail a test.
I think I stress test is accomplishing a fast starting point for what ever I need to use the pc for.

My test
First I run hyper_pi 32m till stable.
Next 15 min. of ibt few times.
Then I open 30 web tabs with a few youtube.
Last I open a good game and play it non stop while going back to web.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001

Well, I didn't and still don't want to derail the thread and make it my own so I really just want to know what settings through the BIOS Protomize is running.

[But to answer the question, I put in a combination of settings that end up running a Vcore something like 1.35, and when I can boot into 4.5 I can run AIDA64 for what seems like all day long. But I can't always boot into it, sometimes it BSOD's before I hit the desktop, sometimes it just fails to boot to begin with. But if I can get past it it seems like it's fine afterwards. That's what I meant, sorry it wasn't clear.]

Again I didn't want to put my own problems up for solution here, I'll eventually make a thread if I don't figure it out from the other threads and FAQ's around. I haven't spent a lot of time at it yet. Just wanted to see what was being run here.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
John8350 has a good point imho, IBT and Prime alone don't give a good indication of stability with these chips. Better to use some artificially heavy multitasking like playing a game and have lots of other stuff running in the background, video's, music, torrents etc. If it can handle all that without crashing it's time to check Windows Event Viewer for WHEA errors. If it's still stable you have a pretty good chip.

Protomize

Jul 19, 2012
John8350 has a good point imho, IBT and Prime alone don't give a good indication of stability with these chips. Better to use some artificially heavy multitasking like playing a game and have lots of other stuff running in the background, video's, music, torrents etc. If it can handle all that without crashing it's time to check Windows Event Viewer for WHEA errors. If it's still stable you have a pretty good chip.
Okay, I will try to render a 1080p video and play Battlefield 3 simultaneously.

Zevvo

Oct 27, 2012
What cooler do you have? How long did you stress test?

But, seems like a very good chip. I need 1.206v for 4.5GHz.

upperbound

Feb 1, 2013
This thread makes me super sad. My 3570k needs 1.285v for 4.4, even though it only gets to 82c on a 10 max ibt test