i5 3570k degridation whats going on is this possible????

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
My current setup i5 3570K on asus P8Z77 V Pro.
Had it humming @4.5 1.2v
Temps on idle was 28-29C, load on P95 about 3 hrs was hovering between 70 and 75C.
My cooling setup is water with a swiftech 220 rad and a XSPC 120 rad for CPU and GPU using typhoon 1500 rpm fans.

Anyway like i said everything was awesome, system was chugging along with all cylinders firing so to speak, but NOOOOO could not leave well enough alone :'(
Now its at a point where 4.5 is pushing 1.472v:mad: with load temps in the mid to upper 70s with 1-2 cores hitting about 80-81 max.

I had to settle for 4.3 @1.3v which I'm not too happy about to say the least.
I can't help to think that a CPU less than 2 months running in a complete build is already dieing a slow death.

Is this possible....:eek:

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
Something is definitely wrong there. Only jumping from 75 C to 81 C while going from 1.2v to 1.472v doesn't sound right on any level.

1.2v seems awfully low for any degradation, as well. Ivy Bridge runs around 1.1v at stock.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
Not sure how you went from everything was awesome to 1.472v. There seems to be some information missing here.

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
Something is definitely wrong there. Only jumping from 75 C to 81 C while going from 1.2v to 1.472v doesn't sound right on any level.

1.2v seems awfully low for any degradation, as well. Ivy Bridge runs around 1.1v at stock.

I might be a bit off on the temps @ 4.5 1.472v, I can say for sure it never went pass 91C

Any suggestion what I might be doing wrong, I have watch 2 youtube video with, Um... think is name is JJ or something, the asus rep over @ newegg with Paul and that other one with pcper just to get a baseline idea but it just won't OC at a lower voltage.

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure how you went from everything was awesome to 1.472v. There seems to be some information missing here.

Well to be honest I'm not sure what happened that's why I'm here trying to get some answers. I have to go back and check my notes. I also took some pictures at one point with P95 running, it was OC to 4.6 @1.241 or 1.231v
( have to check the pics) and the temps never went pass 90 it was around the mid 80s.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
TJCS said:
^^^^
aqualad said:
but NOOOOO could not leave well enough alone
what does that mean, anyway?
aqualad said:
at one point with P95 running, it was OC to 4.6 @1.241 or 1.231v
just how far did you keep pushing past 4.5GHz@1.2V?

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
In the OP, you mentioned that it was humming @ 4.5 1.2v and I think the key information here is the reason that lead you all the way up to 1.472v. I can overclock my memory with that voltage LOL

Did you start to get BSODs at 1.2? WHEA errors? or...

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
^^^^

what does that mean, anyway?

just how far did you keep pushing past 4.5GHz@1.2V?

It means I got greedy and want more I could not leave well enough alone @ 4.5

I pushed it to 4.6 @1.2v

Last edited:

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
In the OP, you mentioned that it was humming @ 4.5 1.2v and I think the key information here is the reason that lead you all the way up to 1.472v. I can overclock my memory with that voltage LOL

Did you start to get BSODs at 1.2? WHEA errors? or...

No BSOD at all, while @4.5 1.2v

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
My current setup i5 3570K on asus P8Z77 V Pro.
Had it humming @4.5 1.2v
Temps on idle was 28-29C, load on P95 about 3 hrs was hovering between 70 and 75C.
My cooling setup is water with a swiftech 220 rad and a XSPC 120 rad for CPU and GPU using typhoon 1500 rpm fans.

Anyway like i said everything was awesome, system was chugging along with all cylinders firing so to speak, but NOOOOO could not leave well enough alone :'(
Now its at a point where 4.5 is pushing 1.472v:mad: with load temps in the mid to upper 70s with 1-2 cores hitting about 80-81 max.

I had to settle for 4.3 @1.3v which I'm not too happy about to say the least.
I can't help to think that a CPU less than 2 months running in a complete build is already dieing a slow death.

Is this possible....:eek:

dude .. idle temps at 1.472 (still at 4.5?)?

idle and load temps at 4.3@1.2v ?

from those three you can plot a graph; wattage / T(kelvin).

If temperature starts rising without you putting more volts and amps into the thing, your cooling situation is changing. Ambient temp gone up much?

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
dude .. idle temps at 1.472 (still at 4.5?)?

from those three you can plot a graph; wattage / T(kelvin).

If temperature starts rising without you putting more volts and amps into the thing, your cooling situation is changing. Ambient temp gone up much?

idle temps at 1.472 (still at 4.5?)?
Not sure what you are asking....as those numbers you ref is during load as stated and I did list the temp idle temps at 1.472 (still at 4.5?)?o_O

29c & 62-65

My AC unit in the room was on and off so that definitely played a part in the ambient temp change.

The temps i was getting in all scenarios was within normal range according to what I read on these here forums and other webz site.

The thing that's getting to me is the amount of voltage going into the CPU

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
Running an Ivy Bridge at 1.472v...is that even possible? Are you sure you're reading the right sensor?

Maximum VID on Sandy Bridge is 1.52v, and I would assume IB has a lower VID spectrum. You can't use offset VID if you manually set it to 1.4v or so.

That, and 1.472v would should fry an IB pretty quickly on an H100. 91 C with stock TIM under the lid is far too low for that kind of voltage. I'd expect throttling or shutting down very quickly.

aqualad

Jun 3, 2012
Running an Ivy Bridge at 1.472v...is that even possible? Are you sure you're reading the right sensor?

Maximum VID on Sandy Bridge is 1.52v, and I would assume IB has a lower VID spectrum. You can't use offset VID if you manually set it to 1.4v or so.

That, and 1.472v would should fry an IB pretty quickly on an H100. 91 C with stock TIM under the lid is far too low for that kind of voltage. I'd expect throttling or shutting down very quickly.

Well I suppose it is. cause as far as CPUZ and CPUID thats what it shows..

Its set to throttle up under load and throttle down when idle.

Um..i dont have a H100...

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I don't remember the last time I saw this much "wtf" in a thread... The speeds you're running, the voltages your running, the order of how things happened, everything is just all over the place. It's like taking pieces of two different puzzles, throwing them on the table and attempting to put it together without knowing what the end result is suppose to look like.

You need to help us help you. We need to know your settings, your real ones, not ones you think they were at, are at or are reporting to be at by CPU-Z. We need to know how you started and how you ended, in chronological order. We have 4.5 @ 1.2v, 4.6 @ 1.2v, 4.3 @ 1.3 and 4.5 @ 1.472 (huge wtf right there, I mean why would you even go there?) we need a timeline and how there numbers fit in there and the series of events that took place that lead you to go from 1.2v to 1.472

And to top it all of, you don't even know if thats what you set your voltage at, you're just assuming based off CPUz. So even more wtf there.

and btw, you and pants are not talking about the same throttling. He is referring to thermal throttle, you're referring to speedstep and/or turbo.

Last edited:

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
Sorry, thought I read H100 somewhere.

My point is that your CPU temperatures should be much higher at that kind of voltage unless you're using some kind of sub-ambient cooling.

Also, apparently Ivy Bridge has the same VID range as Sandy Bridge. Regardless, there's no way you should be able to run that kind of voltage without absurd temperatures.

What are your BIOS settings? Are you using Dynamic VID or Static VID? Depending on your answer, what is your offset/what is your static value set to? Read from the BIOS, not from CPU-Z.

r3pshow

May 3, 2012
Clear Bois/Cmos go back to stock clocks....then Overclock try to hit 4.5Ghz take a Multimeter and measure your CPU Voltage if your mobo has a voltage measurement point !