i5 2500K stock temps

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi all, new build and only have stock cooler at present, was hoping to use my ACF7Pro, however the bolt thru plate touches some extra plate on the asrock board preventing me from using the bolt thru ACF7..
Anyway, after putting the push pin stock cooler on, I was shocked to see the BIOS report temp at 85c, turned it off, and cleaned cpu and hsf and put some AS5 on, BIOS still reporting 65 and climbs up to 77c!..

Is this right?, i though stock cooler was good for OC and all.....

Okay, have install the ASRock OC software and the CPU has stepped down to 16x100 w\ temp of 40c...that sounds better...could the BIOS be reading different diode?

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Something is wrong...

What does HW Monitor say ?

Okay, temps look better now.....BIOS did say 90c!, Im sure I read that right...
2500k.JPG

DrBoss

Feb 23, 2011
u just got through an idle temp scare w/ my i2600k.
while my temps were reported to be in the 40's by the bios, later test shows the idle temp to be in the 30's.

That said, you temps appear twice what mine were. Thermal Paste MAY be the issue, but doubtful... i wouldn't expect the stock cooler to have any difficulty providing reasonable temps. Perhaps there is a faulty sensor on the mobo... get into your OS environment and check the idle & load temps using CoreTemp.

EDIT: glad the issue resolved itself. I read somewhere that while accessing the BIOS the CPU is actually being loaded more significantly than you would think (approx 50%), can anyone confirm or deny this?

Last edited:

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ BIOS does not count as idle, and does not properly utilise low-power states available in a supported OS. Don't know what the load% is (no real way to tell), but even if is only 1-2% without low-power states you can see the voltage & resulting temperatures.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Dont think its resolved yet, the delta in temp from idle to load to too great for me to be comfortable...32>92 under Prime isnt right, yet this is the 2nd effort....I dont like these damn push pins, however im going to have to wait until I can afford better cooler....

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Lets hope the readings on your fans are wrong too. If they are correct readings, then you may need to do some adjusting. I don't think they are but you might want to make sure your hardware is in check.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Lets hope the readings on your fans are wrong too. If they are correct readings, then you may need to do some adjusting. I don't think they are but you might want to make sure your hardware is in check.

Only fans at present are the GPU fans and the fan on the CPU, and an exhaust fan on PSU..

Im waiting for some 3 pin fans to use for the wind tunnel which will be chassis 1 & 2, have another 2 headers, i for the middle chamber, but as I said, need to get the fan yet!