I wonder if this guy will get to keep his job

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.examiner.com/article/salvation-army-gay-parents-deserve-to-be-put-to-death

The Salvation Army has been outspoken in the past, but Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, might have taken things a step too far. Appearing on radio show hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, Craibe expressed the company's views on the LGBT community and gay parents and when asked whether gays should be put to death, his response was shocking.

"Ryan: According to the Salvation Army gay parents deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?

Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.

Ryan: So they should die.

Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.

Ryan: You’re proposing in your doctrine that because these parents are gay, that they must die.

Craibe: Well...well...because that is part of our Christian doctrine

Ryan: But how is that Christian? Shouldn't it be about love?

Craibe: Well, the love that we would show is about that: consideration for all human beings to come to know salvation…

Ryan Or die?

Craibe: Well, yes.”

Then comes the safe statement from the Salvation Army. What do you think? Will this Craibe guy get to keep his job?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
To the back of the unemployment line you go.

I wont support a company that endorses hate and ill-will towards others as part of their company culture.

I am even more put off by the fact that Salvation Army released an official statement attempting to clarify what was said. What was said was crystal clear.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The Salvation Army is not a company.

The Salvation Army is a CHURCH. It is an organized christian denomination that splintered from the Methodist Church.

Do people get riled up at every pastor that damns gays to hell? Most christian denominations are against homosexuality. The Salavation Army is no different.

As an atheist, I don't give the Salvation Army a dime because they are a church first and a charitable organization(with religious strings attached) second.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The Salvation Army is not a company.

The Salvation Army is a CHURCH. It is an organized christian denomination that splintered from the Methodist Church.

Do people get riled up at every pastor that damns gays to hell? Most christian denominations are against homosexuality. The Salavation Army is no different.

As an atheist, I don't give the Salvation Army a dime because they are a church first and a charitable organization(with religious strings attached) second.

Whatever? My statement remains true. Just swap out company for "Charity", "Church", whatever.

No, I don't get riled up at every pastor that damns gays to hell...but when a well known charity flat out endorses comments (and they did a really shitty job of "clarifying" what was said) that gays should die because its against your beliefs...that affects me, because I give things to the Salvation Army every year when I move out of my college apartments. I also give money to people outside the store with the bells. And I DON'T subscribe to any religion or thought process that says anybody deserves to die because of who they are.

That won't be happening again (donating my things and giving money). Next time I see one of those people, I'll let them know that I am not giving money to an organization, church, whatever that endorses hate and ill-wishes against people they don't like.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Whatever? My statement remains true. Just swap out company for "Charity", "Church", whatever.

No, I don't get riled up at every pastor that damns gays to hell...but when a well known charity flat out endorses comments (and they did a really shitty job of "clarifying" what was said) that gays should die because its against your beliefs...that affects me, because I give things to the Salvation Army every year when I move out of my college apartments. I also give money to people outside the store with the bells. And I DON'T subscribe to any religion or thought process that says anybody deserves to die because of who they are.

That won't be happening again (donating my things and giving money). Next time I see one of those people, I'll let them know that I am not giving money to an organization, church, whatever that endorses hate and ill-wishes against people they don't like.

What difference does it matter if they say it or not, if its what they are thinking/believe.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Christians never manage to disappoint, do they?

While we're at it, everyone who thinks mint chocolate chip ice cream is bad should die.

Oh, and curry. I like curry, if you don't...DIE.

:rolleyes: (actually. No. Insert my avatar photo here.)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What difference does it matter if they say it or not, if its what they are thinking/believe.
It matters quite a lot. What people are thinking or believe is completely their own business, but when it is expressed, we have an obligation to evaluate the statement and act accordingly. I love the Salvation Army and think they do a world of good, but there are other organizations who also do good and aren't wishing people dead, at least out loud. It isn't THAT difficult to find a good charity.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Those crazy Australian christians.

On Saturday, two days after the interview, Salvation Army Australia issued a statement seeking to clarify its stance on gays and lesbians.

“This is a misunderstanding of the text referred to. The Scripture in question, viewed in its broader context, is not referring to physical death, nor is it specifically targeted at homosexual behavior. The author is arguing that no human being is without sin, all sin leads to spiritual death (separation from God), and all people therefore need a Saviour,” the statement said.

“The Salvation Army acknowledges that the response in the interview has led to a serious misunderstanding of our teaching and that clarification should have been given during the interview.”

The statement added: “The Salvation Army sincerely apologises to all members of the GLBT community and to all our clients, employees, volunteers and those who are part of our faith communities for the offence caused by this miscommunication.”

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ologizes-for-officials-anti-gay-comments?lite

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I'll clue you in: I think religion is a bad joke. Every last one of them. I think people who believe in a god (or gods) are either very insecure, gullible or both.

That would include 85% of the world's population. Atheist and non-believers are never insecure, gullible or both.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
That would include 85% of the world's population. Atheist and non-believers are never insecure, gullible or both.

You're putting words in my mouth on the second point. On the first point, yes. Most people in this world should grow up and get beyond this idea that some higher being created us.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
You're putting words in my mouth on the second point. On the first point, yes. Most people in this world should grow up and get beyond this idea that some higher being created us.

Do you personally know any religious people - family, friends, co-workers? Is that what you think about all of them?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Do you personally know any religious people - family, friends, co-workers? Is that what you think about all of them?

My mother gets a pass because she's my mother, but I wish she'd get beyond the religious nonsense nonetheless.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Yes. Without fail, as soon as I see someone bow their head before a meal or reference their faith, my opinion of their intellect plummets. I just think it's ridiculous to be religious in modern times, knowing what we know about the world and having witnessed the creation of religions.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
That man should convert to Islam, atleast his views would be perfectly fine for his religion in that case.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Will this Craibe guy get to keep his job?

Why should he lose his job?

What makes your opinion on gay rights more important than his stance against gays?

Gays want equal rights, but are not willing to give equal respect.

I wont support a company that endorses hate and ill-will towards others as part of their company culture.

In other words, you will not support an organization that does not support an immoral lifestyle?