I will say what many Americans are thinking. I am sick of hearing about radical Islam

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
So why is this film ok, but the Muhamad video not

If it was done to actually criticize or study a religion why not?

But it's a religious pissing match between the two.

I think both sides are ignorant and petty, besides the whole utter hypocricy in thinking they know what their gods think.

How amazingly arrogant and narrow of the human ego.

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
If it was done to actually criticize or study a religion why not?

But it's a religious pissing match between the two.

I think both sides are ignorant and petty, besides the whole utter hypocricy in thinking they know what their gods think.

How amazingly arrogant and narrow of the human ego.

How do you feel about atheists that are upset about the threats against this country and the killing of our ambassador, as well as the ongoing global Jihad?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Britain essentially caused a ton of the problems by creating afghanistan and causing Pakistan...then when you throw in Britain and the US' creation of Israel and the constant propping up of dictators due to our obsession with oil and you could understand why the ME is the place that it is today.

Poor religious people under dictators will not be happy. This is not a shocker.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
How do you feel about atheists that are upset about the threats against this country and the killing of our ambassador, as well as the ongoing global Jihad?

Atheists understand the history and causes of the sentiment in the ME and realize that we had a huge part in creating their conditions... instead of making it one religion vs the other.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

I grew up in the 80s with this threat on America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2H1E02iMHg

After 45 minutes, bend over and kiss the human race bye bye.

Considering the scope no, I don't fear a bunch of goat herders.

America has always been threatened, haters will hate.

The point of terrorism (propaganda of the deed) is meant to do exactly this.

Why play their game like little scared bitches?

Liberal Democracy has taken on far worse.

Last edited:

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The people that can reign in the radical faction of Islam are the non-radical Islamists. They seem unwilling to do so. Is it laziness, a lack of interest, the knowledge that it is a futile gesture or a form of hopeful acquiescence on their part? I don't know.
The only way the non-radical islamists could reign in the radical islamists is by violent force. Speaking out against or public censure will not have any effect on the radicals. They do not respect opinions from those who do not agree with themselves. The non-radicals just aren't radical enough to take up arms and do this. This is why small factions of radicals are capable of taking over countries - they are will to kill and die and others are not.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Something I've always wondered, does every mom and pop store in the middle east carry American flags for convenient burning by the protestors? Who knows, maybe one of the flag companies was behind the movie.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I used to wear two highly offensive to Christian shirts when I was younger. Even wore one to school once, you can find it from tshirthell.com as the Jesus did it for the chicks shirt. Never got into a single physical altercation over the shirt(s). Though I did have quite a few people come up and express, verbally, that they disapprove of my shirt and that it offends their beliefs.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I used to wear two highly offensive to Christian shirts when I was younger. Even wore one to school once, you can find it from tshirthell.com as the Jesus did it for the chicks shirt. Never got into a single physical altercation over the shirt(s). Though I did have quite a few people come up and express, verbally, that they disapprove of my shirt and that it offends their beliefs.

Go walk around Dearborn, Michigan with a t-shirt insulting Mohammed.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Let me repeat. When our embassy is overrun we should retaliate with the biggest bomb on earth and just blow them all to hell.

Jun 26, 2007
This, except I don't particularly blame Obama. I'd say when we pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq, hopefully soon, we pull out of all Middle Eastern and African Muslim nations and adopt a policy of strict separation. No travel from, or to, any Middle Eastern and African Muslim nation, or any nation under any version of Sharia. No immigration. No direct trade; where it's necessary to buy Middle Eastern oil, we'll buy through foreign brokers. No embassies, no consuls, no American-based corporate offices. No foreign aid. Want American money? Liberalize, bitches.

I'd say we expand it to include all western nations.

However, nations like Russia, China and some South American nations would love it.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Let me repeat. When our embassy is overrun we should retaliate with the biggest bomb on earth and just blow them all to hell.

You sound like....a Muslim extremist. Great job showing those terrorists who the boss is huh?

Fool. You are permitting yourself to be their pawn is all you do.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Why is it vile? The crucifix was originally a pagan symbol of fertility (a big pen0r) anyhow. Makes sense.

Maybe you are just clueless about your own religion.

Or you may be, sir.

Yes the cross was used widely as a symbol.

The crucifix (figure of Jesus affixed to a cross) is exclusively Christian.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Or you may be, sir.

Yes the cross was used widely as a symbol.

The crucifix (figure of Jesus affixed to a cross) is exclusively Christian.

You are correct, although it the added suffix is but splitting hairs. It is the same symbol, the 'fix is a mainly catholic thing.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I'd say we expand it to include all western nations.

However, nations like Russia, China and some South American nations would love it.

I dream of what Afghanistan would be like occupied by the PLA. They'd laugh as they bulldozed every mosque. They'd make the Soviet occupation look like a humanitarian aid mission. With their only interest being the profitable exploitation of Afghanistan's natural resources, I would delight to see these savages try to complain to them that they needed irrigation, schools, weapons, etc., only to be laughed at and swatted aside from a millions strong army.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
You sound like....a Muslim extremist. Great job showing those terrorists who the boss is huh?

Fool. You are permitting yourself to be their pawn is all you do.

That is a serious breach of diplomacy when it is the host country responsibility to provide protection to foreign embassies and their personnel, just like how China is protecting Japanese embassies from the current anti-Japanese rioters even though both have much, much more ACTUAL bad blood between them in the 20th century than any Arab/muslim vs US squabbles. Speaking of China their progress since WW2 makes the entire ME region minus Israel look like a biggest international joke on the planet.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I heard something that really struck me on this past Friday. It was a show on NPR in which they had a reporter in Syria talking with rebels who are fighting the Syrian government for freedom.

These rebels, Muslims, talked about how they found it so dismaying that the whole Muslim world is up in arms about (in their words) a stupid film (the one depicting the Prophet in totally unacceptable way), while fellow Muslims are being slaughtered in the streets, woman are being raped and killed, and children are being wiped out by government death squads!

The Syrian rebel team that try's and keep the war in the minds of the world have decided to actually make a film showing the wholesale slaughter to see if they can get a reaction of some kind from their fellow Muslims. (In vain hope to actually get support from fellow Muslims for a cause that actually matters.) They say that yes the film is disrespectful at the least but all this attention and anger for a "stupid" film and hardly any reaction or anger at all, in regards to the mass slaughter of fellow Muslims is unacceptable. What those rebels said says all there is to know about the mind set in the middle east.

The link is not to the NPR interview but to a report that indicates the Syrian rebels position on this.

Read: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/18/rebels-despair-that-anti-american-protests-overshadow-syrian-struggle.html

Truly that makes a point that is so clear no one has to point it out.

Last edited: