I will NEVER send the GF to go do oil change again.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SSSnail
I have no idea how she went for an oil change, wash the car and came back with a $70+. Oh, that's right, the air filter was dirty.... :roll:

I swear these freaking grease monkeys... one of these days.

$70? That was probably after giving the grease monkey a special treat to get the discount.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: deerslayer
That's what you get for paying someone else to do a simple mundane task you should be doing yourself.
Because everyone owns a house and has a driveway where they can jack the car up and change their oil. :roll:

For a lot of people, there's simply no space at their apartment complex to work on their cars like that. I haven't done my own oil change in 3 years since I moved away from home and have been living in an apartment complex.

I swear, the "you're an idiot if you don't change your own oil" crowd is as bad as or worse than the "you're an idiot if you don't drive a manual" crowd. Give it a rest people.

ZV

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
That's what you get for paying someone else to do a simple mundane task you should be doing yourself.

I make enough money I do not have to do mundane tasks like change the oil I can pay someone else to burn thier fingers with my oil. Plus I dont want to get oil in my garage. I just know not to pay $70 for an oil/filter change!

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: Minerva
I change my own but I'd love to see one of these guys try pulling that "blinker fluid" sh!t on me. I'd have to play along for a while then slap them with some serious ownage. Perhaps the genius brother of mine can loan me one his cameras so I can sew it in the brim of a baseball cap. :D

You'd just be embarrassed when they convince you that you need to change the winter air in your tires to summer air.

There's one I haven't heard. :laugh:

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
F8ck all of you people who generalise mechanics. Not every mechanic tries to steal from female customers. We've all had bad experiences with tradespeople of many types, so let's cut out the damn stereotyping, hm?

I used to go to a Firestone near Drexel U/Upenn and I loved sitting in there waiting for my car to be fixed and hearing the mechanics talk to the Asian women. I think half of these ladies were doctors and just wanted to get the car fixed while they were at work. The mechanics would talk loud and slow, and the doctors would respond with English that these guys didn't learn when they left the school system in 7th grade (Firestone doesn't hold a dear spot in my heart.)

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Because everyone owns a house and has a driveway where they can jack the car up and change their oil. :roll:

For a lot of people, there's simply no space at their apartment complex to work on their cars like that. I haven't done my own oil change in 3 years since I moved away from home and have been living in an apartment complex.

I swear, the "you're an idiot if you don't change your own oil" crowd is as bad as or worse than the "you're an idiot if you don't drive a manual" crowd. Give it a rest people.

ZV

not to mention that by the time you've purchased all the crap you need to do it, it will take you a long time to save your money back. at most you can save like $5-$10 each time by doing it yourself. and there is the hassle of recycling.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
not to mention that by the time you've purchased all the crap you need to do it, it will take you a long time to save your money back. at most you can save like $5-$10 each time by doing it yourself. and there is the hassle of recycling.

I don't think people care about the price... they like knowing what exactly is going in and on their car more than worrying about losing an extra $10.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
They top off all your fluids? Like what? The only one I could think of would be windershield wiper fluid and possibly coolant if you car is low but that's rare.... Sounds like you are paying for the convienence of surfing the web on site and getting free drinks.

Originally posted by: DarkKnight69
I have no idea how she went for an oil change, wash the car and came back with a $70+. Oh, that's right, the air filter was dirty.... :roll:

I swear these freaking grease monkeys... one of these days.

Haha, I pay $40CND for the dealership to do it, they top up all fluids, clean the windshield, fill the air in the tires, re-oil my K&N and check the codes for anything wrong. And while I wait, I get cable internet, sat tv, all I can drink beverages, and free arcade games. Let not forget that I also get free baked snacks!

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Saying "You should change your own oil" is akin to saying to a non-computer person to swap out their RAM ... some people just don't want to do it, aren't remotely interested in it, or would be happy to pay someone to do it.

Have I changed my own oil? Yes. Do I want to always do it? No. Am I willing to pay someone else to do it? Yes. Does this make me a wuss? No.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

ZV

I know plenty of people that live in apartment complexes and change their oil in the parking lot.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
That could happen if she got synthetic oil. The "$20 air filter" is a stereotype- most of the chain places charge a $4 premium over what you could get it for at Pep Boys or Autozone.

Add tax, disposal, etc, and $70 isn't out of the question, though it is pricey.

I get synthetic blend Mobil-1 (out of the bottles) for $29.95 at my place. For that price, you can't go wrong.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
You know why my wife and I both work at really demanding high paying jobs? Well, many reasons actually, but one of them is so that we can have enough money to pay other people to do all the crappy jobs. God bless a service economy!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV
I know plenty of people that live in apartment complexes and change their oil in the parking lot.
It's explicity listed as against my lease. And is so listed for most apartment complexes, the non-ghetto ones anyway. Besides, there's no space to do it. I'd get my legs run over with them sticking out into the parking space next to my car.

ZV

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I'm more than capable of changing the oil myself, but why? My time is worth more than the amount that I have to pay someone to do it. And just because I can pay someone else to do it, doesn't mean that they can charge whatever they want. This place I go to regularly to change the oil on all my cars, and they will never pull this crap with me.

For the kiddies that are making the smart@ss comments, have some freaking respect. I know this is an anonymous board and all, but you're still human, have some standards for yourself.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I'm more than capable of changing the oil myself, but why? My time is worth more than the amount that I have to pay someone to do it. And just because I can pay someone else to do it, doesn't mean that they can charge whatever they want. This place I go to regularly to change the oil on all my cars, and they will never pull this crap with me.

For the kiddies that are making the smart@ss comments, have some freaking respect. I know this is an anonymous board and all, but you're still human, have some standards for yourself.

lol, this coming from you? lmao!

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Are there anyways I can ignore someone's posts on this board?

Very top right hand of your internet browser there is an "X" click it.