I will NEVER see anything cool.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
weren't you in the navy and toured the world once?

also, now in this stage of your life, move near a vibrant city, otherwise yes, you will be hella bored if anything besides staring at trees, hiking, camping, and staring at a computer interest you.

Reactions: Muse

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
weren't you in the navy and toured the world once?

also, now in this stage of your life, move near a vibrant city, otherwise yes, you will be hella bored if anything besides staring at trees, hiking, camping, and staring at a computer interest you.
Yeah when I was busy doing stuff I did not have the free time to appreciate any of it.
Now that I have free time I do not have the money to go out and see interesting things.
Capitalism is a big fuckin scam. It only works for a handful of people. The rest of us are just grinding along, either working and desperate, or not working and desperate.

Reactions: KMFJD

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I mean... my dancing is kinda subpar, but I'm willing to take my shirt off and do a country dance to get your heart racing a little....

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah when I was busy doing stuff I did not have the free time to appreciate any of it.
Now that I have free time I do not have the money to go out and see interesting things.
Capitalism is a big fuckin scam. It only works for a handful of people. The rest of us are just grinding along, either working and desperate, or not working and desperate.

It's a giant rat race that's good for the few, not for the many.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I’ve been to Nice and the isles of Greece
While I sipped champagne on a yacht
I’ve moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo
And showed them what I got.

I’ve been undressed by kings and I’ve seen some things
That a woman ain’t supposed to see
I’ve been to paradise
But I’ve never been to me.

Don’t worry, in a few weeks, the song won’t be in your head anymore.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Come on man, you falling for the concept that you gotta be constantly spending money to not be bored? You should reevaluate your thinking. Haven't you heard "the best things in life are free?" If you can't see there's something to that you have snookered yourself.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Here' a couple songs for ya..

Ella and Louis: I Got Plenty of Nuttin'

Porter and Dolly: Satisfied Mind

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Churn through credit cards to get free flights and hotel stays with the points and then you can travel on the cheap.

I've been flying "for free" for over a decade now and it's fantastic. I started flying with just the wife and I but now we have 2 kids and all 4 of us fly "for free" most of the time. It saves thousands and thousands of dollars every year.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Churn through credit cards to get free flights and hotel stays with the points and then you can travel on the cheap.

I've been flying "for free" for over a decade now and it's fantastic. I started flying with just the wife and I but now we have 2 kids and all 4 of us fly "for free" most of the time. It saves thousands and thousands of dollars every year.
I've never done that but my situation is different. Don't know if it would work for me. Now, I'm not married, have no kids, haven't traveled since just before the pandemic. I have maybe 1/2 dozen credit cards including Costco Visa (3% cash back on qualifying travel, restaurants too), Citi Double Cash Mastercard (which I use unless there's a better deal with another card, Discover (5% cash back on rotating quarterly basis), Chase (5% cash back on rotating quarterly basis). I've not paid attention to the travel points thing, seems complicated and I figured maybe I haven't been traveling enough for it to work for me. There may be better credit card(s) I can get, I think there's maybe a thread here on it that I lost sight of...

Is there an internet place that spells out the ins and outs of travel points?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am sure he has seen many cool things.

Back in 2003/4 I saw the Northern Lights for the first time and that was without going anywhere. It was seriously cool.

I lived through 4 record breaking snowstorms and they were cool!

I have been with my GF for 25 years and that is cool.

cool is where you find it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've never done that but my situation is different. Don't know if it would work for me. Now, I'm not married, have no kids, haven't traveled since just before the pandemic. I have maybe 1/2 dozen credit cards including Costco Visa (3% cash back on qualifying travel, restaurants too), Citi Double Cash Mastercard (which I use unless there's a better deal with another card, Discover (5% cash back on rotating quarterly basis), Chase (5% cash back on rotating quarterly basis). I've not paid attention to the travel points thing, seems complicated and I figured maybe I haven't been traveling enough for it to work for me. There may be better credit card(s) I can get, I think there's maybe a thread here on it that I lost sight of...

I think nerdwallet has some resources.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

It would be even better in your situation since you don't have 4 tickets you need when traveling and rather need just 1. The only downside is that chase has a 5/24 rule which means you can only get 5 new cards every 24 months. So my wife andI basically alternate years where one year I'll get 5 cards, one year she'll get 5 cards, and then that covers the 24 months.

There is a lot of info in this thread about the different cards and stuff. It really is not that complicated at all, especially since it sounds like you kind of play the credit card game.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I mean... my dancing is kinda subpar, but I'm willing to take my shirt off and do a country dance to get your heart racing a little....
There are many many ways to get your heart racing.