I will be moving to South Korea soon ...need info from soneone there

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999

I will be moving to South Korea soon to be with my family and I am curious if there are any jobs there for a person like me..

1- 35 years old - male
2. can only speak english ... very little korean
3. no degree
4. 12 years of management experience in wholesale bakery

I know the prospects are low , but I was wondering if there is a chance of doing anything besides teaching conversational english.

My wife has a good job and I will learn Korean, but it will take I guess 3-5 years to become fluent.

I just hate to think that my choices of available jobs are limited to just teaching english.

LOL Just noticed that I misspelled someone -- I wish there was a way to correct it before anyone here noticed it :)

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Annyong ha shimnikka

First of all, you're probably going to be teaching english if you want a job, or at least untill you learn Korean. Sorry :(

Also Korean is very different from english so it's definatly going to take some time. 3-5 years will do it, it just depends on how much and how often you speak it. If you simply give up English (at least for the most part), don't even speak it at home, you could get it done in under 2.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Korean is an easy language to learn... you'll probably be fluent in 6 months or less.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Korean is an easy language to learn... you'll probably be fluent in 6 months or less.

I think you must be confused. Korean is one of the most difficult languages for a westerner to learn. On a positive note, you can learn to read the characters in less than a day

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Torghn

I think you must be confused. Korean is one of the most difficult languages for a westerner to learn. On a positive note, you can learn to read the characters in less than a day

No, i'm not. The Korean language is only about 400 years old, and is very scientific base. You can learn the basics within a day, and master it within a few months with diligent practice. It certainly is the most 'scientific' based language in the world

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I have been in korea on different visits for a total of about 8 months now.

I do not find korean to be an easy lanquage. Their alphabet may be easy but that's about it. I find it extremely difficult to understand even elementary korean when it is spoken at their normal speed.

and my combination of southern drawl (Florence, SC here) with the little korean language that I know, makes for a funny sounding american :)

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999

I would definetely try it..

the last time there I ate some baby octopus legs that were squirming on the plate. I had toforce them from the plate for those little suckers held on for dear life. ....it was actually pretty tasty.

I do not have a problem trying dog meat, it is just another animal.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic Korean is an easy language to learn... you'll probably be fluent in 6 months or less.
No, i'm not. The Korean language is only about 400 years old, and is very scientific base. You can learn the basics within a day, and master it within a few months with diligent practice. It certainly is the most 'scientific' based language in the world

I take it you don't know how to speak Korean, as any native English speaker who learns it would never call it easy.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999

Perhaps I could start some kind of online business there. I am not sure what is there that would sell well on ebay but I will definetely look into it.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
You must learn the language (at least the basics) in order to really improve your opportunities.

It's just like in America. If you expect to get a decent job, you're going to have to know how to speak the language.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002

Uh, yeah, you can learn the characters quickly and you can pronounce anything that's written. A year later you still won't have a clue what you're saying. Besides a whole new alphabet, Korean has a different sentence structure (subject-object-verb) which is difficult for Westerners to follow. Korean not only has different sounds from English, it has fewer sounds, so a lot of words sound the same. It is considered one of the more difficult languages to learn.

It is also very hard to legally get a decent job in Korea if you are a foreigner.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Don't they have a dislike for Americans? I remember reading about South Korean companies refusing to give Americans business or something.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
have you looked at civilian service?? the Base at Yong San in korea employees a lot of english only speaking people.

are you ethnic korean??

rutchtkim

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001

what the heck are you smoking?? I am korean, born in america though and taking some Korean courses in College. You know what? It is the most difficult class I am taking, considering I am a CompSci major.

And for Keego's remark. SARS aint in Korea, stop spreading bad rumors.