I went to a Chinese Restaurant for lunch today...

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
It was kind of funny. One of the appetizers was called the Pu-Pu Platter (I kid you not). ;) I just had to find out what it was. So my coworkers and I asked. I figured it must be good if they can name it that. It was a combination tray of the appetizers. So we both decided to order one. The waitress goes, "Pu-pu for two" to the chef in the back. I looked up at my coworker and she was snickering right with me. They really need to change the name.

BTW. The appetizers were really pretty good. It even came out with a mini little grill to grill the appetizer meats. Yummers.

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DaShen
It was kind of funny. One of the appetizers was called the Pu-Pu Platter (I kid you not). ;) I just had to find out what it was. So my coworkers and I asked. I figured it must be good if they can name it that. It was a combination tray of the appetizers. So we both decided to order one. The waitress goes, "Pu-pu for two" to the chef in the back. I looked up at my coworker and she was snickering right with me. They really need to change the name.

BTW. The appetizers were really pretty good. It even came out with a mini little grill to grill the appetizer meats. Yummers.

youve never heard of a pu-pu-platter?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Isn't pu pu platter one of the moves for the Mascot costume in FFX-2?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think every Chinese restaurant I've ever been in offers the Pu-pu platter as an appetizer.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Did you get it with extra pu?

Whatever it was, it was good. ;)

**EDIT**
uhohs, I am Chinese, too. And yeah, I go out to a whole bunch of Chinese restaurants. I have never heard of the Pu-Pu Platter. Hilarious. ;)

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
i'm chinese and i have no idea what a pu-pu platter is, never seen it at any of the restaurants i've been to.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Anyone who owned "One fierce beer coaster" by the Bloodhound Gang should have heard of it ;)

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
sigh... Not as funny as the Korean grocery in Marietta, GA... Dong Bang.

//waits for Wayne's World joke about Sum-Young-Guy

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
OMG, making fun of foreigners! The originality and execution gets 9.5 poitns from me!

vtohthree

Apr 18, 2005
YOU haven't heard of PU-PU platter, not even on tv? I'm not even a big fan of the show, but they made cracks on it on Home Improvement, Al was like, "now I can make pu-pu at home!".

Anyways, I haven't had it myself, but I welcome it, just because the name is not common to us Westerners doesn't make it a bad name, lol.

I'm sure plenty English words cross the Chinese language, I'm all for it.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: vtohthree
YOU haven't heard of PU-PU platter, not even on tv? I'm not even a big fan of the show, but they made cracks on it on Home Improvement, Al was like, "now I can make pu-pu at home!".

Anyways, I haven't had it myself, but I welcome it, just because the name is not common to us Westerners doesn't make it a bad name, lol.

I'm sure plenty English words cross the Chinese language, I'm all for it.

Considering I am asian and will eat almost anything set in fron tof me. ;) :p

I still think the name is funny. I mean, if I go to Korea and open up a restaurant, I am not you to name one of my appetizers the Jia Ji Sausage, now am I. And I go anywhere that speaks Mandarin, I am not going to have the Ji Ji Sausage, or Cantonese the Du Le Kabob. ;) Of course, that would get snickers over there. It just funny, that is all. It was really good though. The Fried Shrimp ball was quite good.