I went to a Chinese Restaurant for lunch today...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
i have no idea what a pu pu platter is and ive been eating at chinese restaurants all my life.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
No wonder Chinese people have never heard of it. It's another one of those american coined term

"Despite its Chinese name, the pu pu platter likely originated in California during the craze for "Polynesian-style" food of the 1940s and 1950s"

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bennylong
I"m chinese and have never heard of Pu Pu. What is it?

same here. i am chinese-- i eat at chinese restaurants: both fancy and normal ones regularly and i have never heard of pupu platter. must be one of those american "chinese" dishes.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
Originally posted by: andylawcc
Originally posted by: DaShen
Cantonese the Du Le Kabob. ;)

hahahHAHAAHAHAHhaahah....

Any chinese speakers care to explain this one, or the jiji sausage?

Jia Ji in Korean is the same as Ji Ji in Mandarin <Chinese> (p3n15).
Du Le in Cantonese <South Chinese> is a 4 letter word. It is pronounced the same as the Vietnamese noodle + ck... So you get a !@#! kabob.

Not trying to be overly crass, I was just making a point to say that, if you are in a different country, you wouldn't name stuff you sell to eat weird vulgar words in the native tongue either. ;)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
When I was little my parents would take my sister and I to a polynesian restaurant once in a while specially for the pu pu platter. It was the neatest thing in the world because it came with a bowl of sterno in the middle of the plate. The food was cooked and warm, but you could heat it up more and get it crispy over the sterno. It was like cooking over a campfire. Between that and the free pots of green tea it was a hell of a meal.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: DaShen
It was kind of funny. One of the appetizers was called the Pu-Pu Platter (I kid you not). ;) I just had to find out what it was. So my coworkers and I asked. I figured it must be good if they can name it that. It was a combination tray of the appetizers. So we both decided to order one. The waitress goes, "Pu-pu for two" to the chef in the back. I looked up at my coworker and she was snickering right with me. They really need to change the name.

BTW. The appetizers were really pretty good. It even came out with a mini little grill to grill the appetizer meats. Yummers.

so... how many years were you kept prisoner in the basement dungeon ?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
From wikipedia:
A pu pu platter (also pu-pu platter, pupu platter; traditional Chinese: ???; simplified Chinese: ???; pinyin: bao3 bao3 pan2

Yeah... most menu items when translated phonetically from Chinese to English usually end up very strange sounding. I'm a victim myself since my Chinese name was crappily translated and it's on all my official documents.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
pu pu platter around here usually is something like:
chicken and shrimp goldfingers
chicken wings
teriyaki
eggrolls