I was riding the San Francisco Subway (Muni) when I overheard...

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Every so often I sit down and listen to the world around me. Today, on Muni I heard conspiring. Well, I wouldn't call it conspiring, I would call it... well I don't know what to call it. A middle aged white guy and a middle aged Asian woman were carrying on like teenagers fresh in love. You know, the "googly" talk. It perplexed me, what had this couple so giddy?

I listened closer only to hear more giddying, giggling, hugging and touching. "When are we going to go to a ball game" she mused thoughtfully as the train whipped by Pac Bell Park. "Before the end of season of course" he replied assertively, wrapping his arms around her as he pulled her closer to him. I listened intently, desperately trying to grasp each word tossed between the middle aged "lover birds."

What kind of married couple speaks like this. Sounding like they are half their age... the tone, the meter, the giggles... the hell is going on. No couple speaks like this at there age. The conversation continues as I listen, even more intrigued.

"What if we see your wife while were out" she inquired as I nearly fell out of my seat. Infidelity... I couldn't believe it, on the muni train, all mushy, googly... right in public, the way they depict in the movies. Shocked, I continued to eavesdrop.

"Don't worry?" he assured

"Pe-ee-tee-rr!" she whined

"Maybe I can take you home and let her meet you" he joked. At this point, I swung around and looked at the "

couple" at the side of my eyes... in shock, but not wanting to appear to be spying, I looked out the window at the Bay Bridge... still listening as engaged as ever...

"good, you need to tell that bitch anyway, I don't like her..."

"I don't like her either, but I don't want to think about that woman, we are having fun aren't we, why did you have to bring her up" he agreed. Unfortunately by the time this revelation tumbled out, I'd reached my destination. The whole situation seemed scripted, like the movies...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It worked. They were playing a joke on the people around them. Quite amusing, actually.

You tell a good story, BTW.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Uh....is this real or are you practicing your writing skills? :D

If you're just practicing, I would say it's a decent effort but needs work.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Encryptic
Uh....is this real or are you practicing your writing skills? :D

If you're just practicing, I would say it's a decent effort but needs work.

No, it really happened :-O

But thanks for the compliments!

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
It worked. They were playing a joke on the people around them. Quite amusing, actually.

I really don't think it was a joke... things like this could happen? right?

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by: rh71

Thats what I was thinking unlike most threads this made very good sense. Its sad how ppl can treat the ones they are susposed to love like sh!t like that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
You have a good writing technique. :) Do you write recreationally?

Frisco huh? You sure it wasn't a guy and a tranvestite ?

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I praise you for actually having a firm grasp on the English language. Not a single slang word or gangster writing. Reading your littlle story was refreshing.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I praise you for actually having a firm grasp on the English language. Not a single slang word or gangster writing. Reading your littlle story was refreshing.

you're on the wrong forum if you're gonna grammar check everything. loosen up! :p

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: sygyzy

you're on the wrong forum if you're gonna grammar check everything. loosen up! :p

Don't try to give me grief because you prefer uneducated babble. I did not address you.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Assuming the story is true..

Is there some rulebook somewhere, a codex where regulation 4856.355-2a specifically prohibits middle-aged people from experiencing and expressing the rush of giddy emotion brought on by a crush?

But marriage is forever, you say? Sure, go ahead and impose your own uninformed moral judgement on a situation you know little about. In your mind feel free to play judge, jury, and executioner. The world, not to mention that particular couple, will not care.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Assuming the story is true..

Is there some rulebook somewhere, a codex where regulation 4856.355-2a specifically prohibits middle-aged people from experiencing and expressing the rush of giddy emotion brought on by a crush?

But marriage is forever, you say? Sure, go ahead and impose your own uninformed moral judgement on a situation you know little about. In your mind feel free to play judge, jury, and executioner. The world, not to mention that particular couple, will not care.

Everything I stated was true. I didn't pass judgement at all. I tried not to assume anything and simply retold the story. It is you who is assuming that I passed judgement.

There is nothing wrong with middle aged people carrying on, crazy in love. I just wondered how long they had been together and what the secret to their happiness was.