I was looking at the top people on set@home and...

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Wow, ha ha, I have 2 computers.

I cannot imagine the electrical bill on 50 or more.:D

:)

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
You can guarantee that the top people have work fleets. I have over 5,000 workstations at my job, but the cost of bandwidth prevents me from using them for DC. I have been able to use them for periods of tine in the past, but not really longer then a month at a time.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Crazee
You can guarantee that the top people have work fleets. I have over 5,000 workstations at my job, but the cost of bandwidth prevents me from using them for DC. I have been able to use them for periods of tine in the past, but not really longer then a month at a time.

Exactly.

Back when I was running SETI, and working for a different company, I had a fleet of about 15 PCs and several servers I could run SETI on. One was a quad XEON IBM server that for the time, really crunched the WUs.

Even now, I run a couple of PCs at work on SOB. :)

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
I have a rather small work fleet - around 15 computers (some have dual cores or dual processors though)

.. plus my mother, my sister, my nephew

... and then there are the other computers that run BOINC for me. There are many that I have no clue, physically, where they are. I received permission from the organization to run BOINC. I created MSI packages that are delivered through active directory and every computer in certain active directory groups gets BOINC installed at boot. The population of computers changes continuously as computers are retired, new computers arrive, the computers are re imaged for any number of reasons etc. I can't honestly tell you how many computers are doing what at any time.

I even have a "rogue" herd that runs Prime Grid. I've been very diligently trying to stamp out the Prime Grid element for a long time but it keeps coming back alive. I'd like it to run SIMAP instead.

I even have a friend who runs SETI on about 7 computers. When SETI is offline the computers run SIMAP for me! I have SIMAP set to a very low percentage of CPU time (like 2%) and SETI is offline or unavailable for new work more than that so I get a lot of SIMAP production now and then. Of course, SIMAP has no work for the next several weeks so a lot of cycles are not being utilized very well right now.

Yes ... those of us who have been doing this relentlessly for years have accumulated large fleets but not always work fleets. A few years ago ... I was able to tap into a work fleet of several hundred computers (find-a-drug) -- those were heady days indeed. I was able to make it into seventh place overall and would have risen further had the project continued. Find-a-Drug had a fairly significant distributed computing following.

Dwight Ringdahl sorta blew the sails outa my dedication to DC projects a few years ago and the herd has languished and dwindled. I need to update BOINC packages so SETI will run and get the herds back into shape. I also have 2 computers in pieces downstairs that I need to have up and running for other reasons as well as 2 older dual pentium III machines and some other cast offs ...

As my recovery continues I am now getting to the point that I can return to minding BOINC

mondo

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
I have 7 PC's at home running Rosetta and about 10 more at work. Then I run on machines I'm working on, home PC repair biz, so I can rack up some work. :)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
For about 3-4 months during seti classic, I had six of my own, plus four family member pcs running at odd hours. Usually it was just four or five at home for most of the year, with two pcs being my low point. Just so much stress with having individual, un-networked computers that have to be constantly watched. I sleep better now.

The Borg

Apr 9, 2006
I have just completed rebuilding 'The Borg' - 6 x P4 3GHz and a AMD64 3500+ in a nice tall stack. Then I have a AMD64 4800+, a Celeron 933 OC'd to about 1.3 GHz and a dual P3 600.

During my days doing SETI classic, I had about 17 machines at home (old P1' and P2's) and about 20 at work. I have had about 60 machines running at one or other time. Now with BOINC, it is a bit more difficult to set up remote machines.

It is always so much fun getting the machines running.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea I doubt that theose '50+' PCs are home rigs ,as been said they are probably work machines.

Myself I've 2 @home, & at least 6 remote rigs run by friends/family.
All but my main rig run SETI.

mondobyte
Good to hear you powering up :D