I was at Best Buy today...

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
And I saw an open box Pioneer VSX-D810S for $229. I wanted a home theater in a box setup for my dorm room next year, but that was most likely going to be around $500 and only 5.1 sound (I was looking at the Kenwood HTB-505). I bought the receiver and the 4 year replacement plan (which was only $35, it's going to college with me, so I thought it was worth it). There are two downfalls to this receiver that I see: no Dolby Prologic II, and one of the hinges on the covering (on the front) is busted, so it has to be opened gently. Do you guys think I got a good deal? It was $286.42 with tax. This was an open box floor model that I got. I hooked it up to the four shody speakers that I had left over from my previous stereo shelf system, and it sounds pretty good, even at pretty loud volumes (currently hooked up via miniplug-RCA jack on my computer). I want to hook it up to my XBOX and DVD player as well, once I get the right cables. Also, I'm looking for some advice on a set of 5.1 (or 6.1?) speakers that can be had for around $250 or so. The guy at the store recommended a set of Sony's, but what do you guys think?

Do you think I could have done better for the price? Here are the specs: Link. Keep in mind though, one of the front hinges is busted so it is slighlty cosmeticly defective (although it appears to work fine).

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
woah, but they want $32 for shipping, and no 4 year replacement..not really comparable I dont guess.

Also, I got the remote for the 850S (the above model) the guy gave it to me, hehe.

Would Pioneer fix the hinge?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: erub
woah, but they want $32 for shipping, and no 4 year replacement..not really comparable I dont guess.

Also, I got the remote for the 850S (the above model) the guy gave it to me, hehe.

Yes, and it should be free. Call (800) 421-1404 Monday thru Friday.

chickendinner

Banned
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Muadib

Yes, and it should be free. Call (800) 421-1404 Monday thru Friday.

Thats awesome.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i dunno if it's a good deal or not, but i think you could have gotten the service plan at half off or some kind of discount... those open box they want to sell usually as fast as they can... and if you happen to come in when they are trying to push it out ASAP, you can usually say "include the service plan, and you got yoursefl a deal." You have to be persistant tho.. and get a manager to be helping you from the get go.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
<<woah, but they want $32 for shipping, and no 4 year replacement..not really comparable I dont guess.>>

I think that is comparable. You get a busted up pre-used unit for not much less than you can get a brand new one. I guess it's all personal taste.

If something doesnt happen in the first year of the receiver, they generally dont fail for a long time. It all depends on how you treat your equipment. I've never purchased an extended service plan on anything....and never needed to.

Mister T

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Also, best low budget sub:

Sony SA-WM40

can be found for about $150 online.
So the JBL set + Sony woof should run you about 400.

If you can swing about $700, then go with the Energy Take 5.1 setup.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Will that JBL speaker set + Sub (actually I was already looking at that subwoofer, hehe) plus this receiver (will all total about $650-700) be a good deal better than a Kenwood HTB-505 system (which is about $500 off of ebay)? That's what I was leaning towards getting until I saw this receiver. I can still easily return my receiver to BB if necessary..

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus01
<<woah, but they want $32 for shipping, and no 4 year replacement..not really comparable I dont guess.>>

I think that is comparable. You get a busted up pre-used unit for not much less than you can get a brand new one. I guess it's all personal taste.

If something doesnt happen in the first year of the receiver, they generally dont fail for a long time. It all depends on how you treat your equipment. I've never purchased an extended service plan on anything....and never needed to.

I agree. Service plans are a joke, unless you have little ones.

Mister T

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Will that JBL speaker set + Sub (actually I was already looking at that subwoofer, hehe) plus this receiver (will all total about $650-700) be a good deal better than a Kenwood HTB-505 system (which is about $500 off of ebay)? That's what I was leaning towards getting until I saw this receiver. I can still easily return my receiver to BB if necessary..

If I were you, I would take back the receiver. These would be my candidates for receivers in the sub 300 range:

Sony STR-DE685 ---- $243
Sony STR-DE885 ---- $299

http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/sony4.html

Pioneer VSX-D711S ---- $240
Pioneer VSX-D811S ---- $298

http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/pioneer2.html

All four of these receivers have Dolby Pro Logic 2 and are brand new in box.

Some people may say that Crazyeddie is a shady dealer, but I bought a 36 WEGA XBR450 from them on a Friday and they delivered it Sunday night. And I got the TV $500 off retail :)

I would not go with a Kenwood HTIB just because I like picking the best components. I think in your price range, and the features you want, Sony/Pioneer for receiver, JBL for speaker, and Sony for Sub. If you are looking for DVD, check out Toshiba, Panasonic and Sony.