I want to start riding a bike...

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
I want to get into riding bikes. I live around my college and there are a lot of surrounding cities so I will be able to bike to surrounding areas very easily.
I think I want a road bike, but theyre SO expensive! The cheapest one I have seen after looking at 3 local stores was $325. It looked pretty decent and it was about my size.
I don't really like the look/size/weight of most of the mountain bikes I have been seeing, but they are less expensive (in the 200's). So what should I do? Do road bikes exist that arent super expensive? Should I just give up and buy a mountain bike? Bite the bullet and spend 300+? I also need to factor in a helmet and bike lock...

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Dude, 300 bucks for a road bike is CHEAP...what's the frame made of? Cast iron? Just get a part-time job--you'll make the money you need pretty quick.

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
I have the money...I dont want to spend it. and I know that 325 is cheap in the scope of road bikes....but it is still a lot of money for two wheels and some metal

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
If you are looking into roadies, 500+ is about right for entry level

For entry level, they are usually equipped with Sora components, (nothing wrong with Sora, but you will feel a difference in shifting, crisper & more precise with 105 and Ultegra ones)

I bought a Giant OCR3 about 1 year ago, so far I am satisfied with it, because I use it mainly for recreational riding.

Entry level mountain bikes can be had for as low as 200 from specialized and trek

By all means, go with Road bikes, you can get a used roadbikes from ebay, but then you have to pay shipping cost, cost of assembly (if you don't know how to do it)....at the end it may not be a much of a difference from buying a new one from LBS in the first place.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
I'm also thinking of getting a bike ... I won't be able to drive for another year and my school is abot 3½ miles away, so walking would take a while ...

Next year (Junior year), I have school from 7:20 until 4:00 :(

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Amol
I'm also thinking of getting a bike ... I won't be able to drive for another year and my school is abot 3½ miles away, so walking would take a while ...

Next year (Junior year), I have school from 7:20 until 4:00 :(

schedule sucks for you :(

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If you're going to be riding on the street, get a road bike. The extra $100-200 you save by buying a mountain bike is NOT worth it if you're going to be riding on the road. Bite the bullet and drop the $300+. Seriously though, a road bike is SOOO much smoother and faster on the road. Go to your local bike shop and test ride both of them for even just half a mile, you'll want the road bike.

BTW, this advice comes from someone who spent more than the $350 you're considering on a fork alone.

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Originally posted by: saltedeggman
If you are looking into roadies, 500+ is about right for entry level

For entry level, they are usually equipped with Sora components, (nothing wrong with Sora, but you will feel a difference in shifting, crisper & more precise with 105 and Ultegra ones)

I bought a Giant OCR3 about 1 year ago, so far I am satisfied with it, because I use it mainly for recreational riding.

Entry level mountain bikes can be had for as low as 200 from specialized and trek

By all means, go with Road bikes, you can get a used roadbikes from ebay, but then you have to pay shipping cost, cost of assembly (if you don't know how to do it)....at the end it may not be a much of a difference from buying a new one from LBS in the first place.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep this in mind and try to convince myself to spend a tad bit more. Any recommendations on entry level bikes?

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
If you're going to be riding on the street, get a road bike. The extra $100-200 you save by buying a mountain bike is NOT worth it if you're going to be riding on the road. Bite the bullet and drop the $300+. Seriously though, a road bike is SOOO much smoother and faster on the road. Go to your local bike shop and test ride both of them for even just half a mile, you'll want the road bike.

BTW, this advice comes from someone who spent more than the $350 you're considering on a fork alone.

haha...ya fork out the money !!

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004

:Q Nice fork, and thanks for the advice

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
the entry level ones are

Trek 1000, Raleigh (steel frame, IIRC, but forgot the name), Specialized Allez, Giant OCR3

The entry level are usually a tad more from Cannondale (made in USA)

Remember to look at some previous year models because shops usually lower the price on those to clear their inventories preparing for the newer models

edit: forgot about Bianchi (usually campy components), Lemond, and some others

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
also if your area where you will be riding a bike do not have high grade incline, a Triple crank will be useless

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
My fiancee has a Specialized Sirrus that she got new for about $450. It's a pretty nice bike for the money. She's been happy with it, and I've ridden it and it really rides pretty nice.

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
I myself, have a 2004 Specialized HardRock Sport. It was a great deal at the $335 that I paid for it with all of the accessories (was worth $410).

However, I now regret that decision and wished that I had paid the $600 for the Specialized Allez.

Not to mention that the guy who assembled my bike must have drank too much beer.

Michael

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
My fiancee has a Specialized Sirrus that she got new for about $450. It's a pretty nice bike for the money. She's been happy with it, and I've ridden it and it really rides pretty nice.

Its a hybrid :) crossover between MTB and Roadie

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: wanmichael
I myself, have a 2004 Specialized HardRock Sport. It was a great deal at the $335 that I paid for it with all of the accessories (was worth $410).

However, I now regret that decision and wished that I had paid the $600 for the Specialized Allez.

Not to mention that the guy who assembled my bike must have drank too much beer.

Michael

hehe... you can always buy an extra bike :) if financial status allows

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
I would spend the extra money and get an unsuspended mountain bike. Anything below a certain price point isn't (IMO) worth getting at all, unless you're on a hard budget and need wheels. A cheap mountain bike will take abuse better than a cheap (+$100) road bike due to its design, so I would go with that if you're limiting yourself to those 2 choices.

Have you ridden a road bike before?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world
I'll give you anything
Everything if you want things

I've got a cloak
It's a bit of a joke
There's a tear up the front
It's red and black
I've had it for months
If you think it could look good
Then I guess it should

I'll give you anything

I know a mouse
And he hasn't got a house
I don't know why
I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old
But he's a good mouse

I'll give you anything

I've got a clan of gingerbread men
Here a man
There a man
Lots of gingerbread men
Take a couple if you wish
They're on the dish

I'll give you anything

I know a room full of musical tunes
Some rhyme
Some ching
Most of them are clockwork
Let's go into the other room and make them work
:music:

MIKE

Nomada

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Go spend $100 at the local backyard mechanic's on an old 10 speed and have at 'er. It's the only way to go if it's your primary ride. You won't cry if you wreck it.