I want to play SNES games in a portable system, which one to get?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
So, I own a DS Lite which has been mostly gathering dust. The other day I got a used Chrono Trigger cartridge and ever since I've been hooked up on it, it's been great to relieve my SNES days and now I want to play other classics of the era, specially Super Metroid and Final Fantasy 6/III.

So what would be the best course of action? I've heard the DS can run homebrew emulators but SNES emulation is not very good. I also remember a friend showing me his PSP running FF6 and it looked pretty good. After doing a bit of research I found this and this.
I want flawless (or as close to it as possible) SNES emulation on a portable system, wouldn't mind getting a PSP for that sole purpose. Anyone have experience with it or can recommend those consoles from thinkgeek?

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I believe snes9x is available for PSP, which is probably as good as it would get. I don't have first-hand experience with the PSP however so I can't say for sure.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
I haven't played since early 2009, but I have an SNES emulator for PSP. I was playing Chrono Trigger on it, and unfortunately, it would randomly freeze decently often, maybe once an hour.

Because I never played any other games for any extended period of time, I don't know if the rom was buggy, the emulator was, or whatever.

It did run great, but unfortunately, for an RPG, it ruined my experience, so I stopped playing it.

RE: your links, I've never tried nor heard of either :p For the price $100 and $150, you can easily pick up a used or even new PSP though.

You can also emulate the PSX on PSP (and there's very, very, very limited n64 as well). I BELIEVE there is Genesis, definitely NES, and other random console emulation as well, but you could google that fairly quickly.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
Oh, can't you play SNES games on Ipod touch/ipad/iphone as well? Not really sure, I don't follow apple at all.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Oh, can't you play SNES games on Ipod touch/ipad/iphone as well? Not really sure, I don't follow apple at all.

You can if you Jailbreak IIRC. I have an Android phone that has an SNES emu that will connect to a wii-mote over BT (on screen controls suck), but I don't have a Wii-mote to test that functionality out.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
The PSP is the best out of those two for sure. I run a SNES emulator on my Droid phone and it works almost flawlessly. The iPhone has a SNES emulator as well.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I remember the SNES emulator on the PSP working great when I ran it years ago, so I'm sure it's even better now. IMO it's not worth it getting a PSP for just that reason, but that'd be the best choice if that's really what you want.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
I would try it out on the DS first. I have a PSP and DS, emulation on both, they both seem to work fine. I've read the DS has problems with some games though (Super Mario RPG is one).

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
You can probably find an older used PSP for way cheaper than any other portable that would emulate snes games, so that would probably be your best bet. There are quite a few PSP 1000's (first gen) for less than $100 on ebay.

Last edited:

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I bought my PSP just to use it for the emulators and it's awesome. Nothing like a PSP permanently sitting next to the toilet! But damn, those legs do fall asleep a lot!

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Get a good droid phone (Evo, Nexus One, Droid X... ect) and you can play nes, genesis, gba, snes, gbc, gamegear, and n64/psx whenever the dude finishes his emulation. All you gotta do is buy one and download the apps!

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I'd go for a PSP. I have an Android phone, and trying to use a touchscreen for even NES gaming is rough.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
search 'dingoo a320' on eBay. I'm probably going to get one this week. some come with 1000 games preloaded. controls and screen look good. works as a music player. <$100