I want to make my own home gym which equipment's I need ?

rachelava

Dec 7, 2020
Please give me a unique idea of how I can make my own home gym. And also give me some online websites from where I can purchase home gym equipment.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Just decide what sort of exercises you want to do and from there you can determine what equipment you should need. Not everyone needs the same equipment. At the very least, I recommend a bench, a set of dumbbells (or a multi-selector dumbbell), and some general cardio equipment (jump rope, plyo box, etc).

Mac29

Jun 2, 2010
Many people can get results w/very little in the way of equipment. You can do a lot w/just dumbbells for instance. I sold my bench a while ago so last spring I used dumbbells and a barbell in the garage. Nothing bigger than 15 pound weights, did benches off the floor using crates and for cheating deadlifts. Then did chinups using both grips by placing the bar across 2 6' ladders. Situps and other calisthenics and running or biking. Not as effective as in the gym but helped. If you "google" you should find guys that made some machines using pulleys and cables. Not too hard. Easier to find a bench and focus on bench, squat and deadlift but again, as deadlyapp states: all depends on what you're training for. Good luck.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Maybe start by saying what you'd like to do in your gym at home? Like lifting, cardio etc.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What I've got, am doing, for some ideas:

Almost a year ago I purchased this resistance band set:

I have some dumbbells, a makeshift pulldown affair using a chinup bar and stretch banding material I was Rxed for physical therapy. Got a bike trainer, but took my bike off it to use in the street again and got a Concept2 Model D Rowing Machine, basically so I could get aerobic indoors (having developed knee pain from running up and down stairs!!!).

But what I'm doing "religiously" is skating the street 6 miles/day, when the weather permits (which has been a lot, it being a severe drought year here!!). That by itself has me in great shape... well, good shape.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
You said home gym, but not what type of gym you want. Cross-fit? Weightlifting? Powerlifting? Calisthenics?
Different equipment for different goals.

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
You should really provide a budget and explain how much space you have and what you want to do. What's your tolerance for hassle? What's your tolerance for clutter?

At the minimum if you just want to work out doing anything and space and money are a big concern:

Penniless:
  • Youtube videos
  • A step made of anything
Some Pennies:
  • A resistance band kit off the internet with some door anchors
  • A jump rope
  • A medicine ball made out of any cheap toy ball, sand, and duct tape
  • Youtube videos
Poor:
  • One standard bar
  • One set of homemade concrete plates or cheap weights off craigslist
  • A jump rope
  • A medicine ball made out of any cheap toy ball, sand, and duct tape
  • Youtube videos

Anything in between:
  • Give us more information about your goals, money, and space

The Other End of the Spectrum:

• If you have all the money in the world and don't want a lot of hassles or mess you can just get a Peleton and a Tonal and some virtual goober will tell you what to do. You could get a better gym for less but this is pretty good, small, looks nice, etc.