I want to learn to fly?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
This has been an interest of mine for several years now, but I haven't had the money to do it. I am living in Columbus, OH now and working for UPS. UPS has a thing called earn and learn that will help pay for an education. I did a little research and found out that OSU offers some degrees in aviation. I'm just not sure I want a full blown degree, I really just want to be able to fly when I want to, not as a career. So I was wondering if anyone has any knowledege of whether or not I can just get my flight traing and ground school done at OSU, or do they only offer the full degree programs? Thanks

I just found this on the OSU site, but I am not exactly sure what it means.

"Any Ohio State student, regardless of academic major, may enroll in Aviation classroom and flight laboratory courses as electives. Operating an instructional fleet of fifteen airplanes and three flight simulators, approximately ten thousand hours are flown in flight instruction annually. Students may obtain the following airman certificates and ratings: Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Airline Transport Pilot, Flight Instructor-Airplane Single Engine Land, Flight Instructor-Airplane Multiengine Land, Flight Instructor-Instrument, Instrument Rating, Multiengine Rating."

Does that mean that they do offer just just the private pilot certificate, meaning I can go there just to get that certificate without the degree?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Please if you are going to comment on my spelling ability, please learn to "speel" yourself.

For the most part I know how to spell, it is my typing that I need to learn. I type with one sometimes 2 fingers. I am quite fast, but sometimes too fast and I press a key to soon or hit the key beside the one I want. But your right I do need to learn to type and spell, but right now I just want to learn to fly.

777joee

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001

Monel Funkawitz

<< How about you leanr to speel first? :) >>

As if you have never suffered from your fingers going too fast!

coolred got it right except for the fact of a transposition.

BTW coolred good luck with the flying.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yeah quit yelling at me, I'm not dumb, I'm stupid, theres a differance.

I did give them a call, but got voicemail, I also emailed them. I am just kinda curious and would like to know now rather then later.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I don't know about OSU, but if you take lessons from a private instructor, it'll probably cost you around $5000 to get your single engine VFR rating.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
how much would it cost to get your commercial pilots license??? and how many hourse do you need to fly for, let say, Continental?

i love flying as well, but the closest i got to doing the real thing was in a simulator. :(

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001

<< how much would it cost to get your commercial pilots license??? >>

250hrs time and about $20k give or take.

<< and how many hourse do you need to fly for, let say, Continental? >>

Several years of flying experience, probably around 2500-3000hrs+

I'd recommend avoiding a university program and just find an instructor you like to do it at your pace. As soon as you know you want to stick to it start getting the written done. That material will help you finish sooner. To finish sooner and at the least cost save enough money so you can fly twice a week.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001

<< This has been an interest of mine for several years now, but I haven't had the money to do it >>

It doesnt require money; you simply have to fall and miss the ground.

Feb 24, 2001

<< << how much would it cost to get your commercial pilots license??? >>

250hrs time and about $20k give or take.
>>

when i was looking at embry riddle, it would have been 50k+ for 4 years of training. that excluded commercial flight time. total costs would have been somewhere near the 100k mark. yowsa. they said it isnt that bad, and i couldnt just go get a license (well i could, but would never be hired). they arent hiring straight pilots now. you have to have a degree in flight mechanics or repair work or something useful and relating to aircraft. they dont want you sitting on your ass if you cant fly basically. and they said the other 50k of flight time could be done by giving private lessons. just takes years to do :(

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Well like I siad, the reason I am looking at OSU is because my employeer will pay for it. I currently do not have 5000.00 dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
<smartass comment> hike up to the nearest cliff and jump off...and start flapping your hands....you'll have 5-10 seconds to learn how to fly ;) </smartass comment>

Seriously though...i'm sure you can take those classes. Also check with airports, many of them have classes for private pilot's licenses. It'll run u about $3000 though...(maybe a little less if you learn fast).

-Ed

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
It was $75 an hour in a C152 when i learned... Took a lesson every weekend if I could, usually wound up being every other though.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I just start taking lessons 2 weeks ago, so far I only have had two lessons. The first time it has rained down here in GA for 6 monthes and it had to happen this past week thus cancelling 2 of my lessons. Anyways hopefully next monday I'll be able to go up. As far as OSU teaching it, I'd probably call them to find out since your company will pay for it. You can't beat that. It doesn't sound like you gotta be in any formal education plan to have that class kinda like a bowling class. Good luck.

KK