I want to join the military

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'll be straight forward: I want to join the military and ship off to Iraq/Afghanistan for the money. (Also for citizenship)

Ok, the problem is my legal status. I am here under Temporary Protected Status (TPS).
Does anyone know anything on this? I once asked a recruiter but you know...they're not all the brightest of people. He was like, 'WTF?'

Thanks!

This may be a way for me to gain US citizenship so I can FINALLY jump start my life. I'm 24

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am aware of the $20,000 bonus

EDIT 2: Here are my thoughts better worded:

Ok, I realize that I should have worded my thoughts better.
I want to advance my life here in the US. I see becoming a US citizen as the 1st and biggest hurdle. Other than marriage, A way for me to do this without a strain money wise is by presumably gaining citizenship by joining the army and making some money while I'm over in Afghanistan. When I return (...) I may have some money in my pocket but most importantly become a US citizen.
there, I should have said it that way in he OP.

BTW, grammar is not my best topic -- sorry

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: shocksyde
For the money, are you kidding?

No Im not :D
But I'm not a college grad (can't go to college) and am not good at any particular craft other than exercise :p

TPS is an immigration protection status. I can work here with my work permit and I'm 'sposed to ship back to 'mexico' when they're done with me ;) (jk) btw Im from Honduras.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
While the U.S. Army's official policy is to only enlist citizens and legal residents of the U.S., military policies during times of military conflict, according to an Army spokesperson, are flexible and somewhat lenient.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: gersson

But I'm not a college grad (can't go to college) and am not good at any particular craft other than exercise :p

TPS is an immigration protection status. I can work here with my work permit and I'm 'sposed to ship back to 'mexico' when they're done with m ;) (jk) btw Im from Honduras.

You do realize that you do not actually get paid all that much for the work you do in the military. You should rethink your strategy.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

TPS is an immigration protection status. I can work here with my work permit and I'm 'sposed to ship back to 'mexico' when they're done with m ;) (jk) btw Im from Honduras.

You do realize that you do not actually get paid all that much for the work you do in the military. You should rethink your strategy.

well, the Army is currently offering $20k to accelerated candidates for 2 year enlistments. To some, that is a serious chunk of change.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

I heard they're giving all recruits 20 grand straight out of basic if you sign up for two years. Add the interest it will accumulate because you'll be in Iraq the whole time and you'll be set when you get out!

OP: So you're having trouble with your TPS reports? Did you get the memo?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Kwaipie

well, the Army is currently offering $20k to accelerated candidates for 2 year enlistments. To some, that is a serious chunk of change.

This is what got me thinking about it.

lol I just noticed that :D

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

I just saw a news blurb yesterday that the Army is going to give $20,000 bonus to those willing to sign upand go to Iraq/Afghanistan.

Link.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
You don't have to be a citizen, just a legal resident.

Join up :thumbsup:

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Originally posted by: dainthomas

I heard they're giving all recruits 20 grand straight out of basic if you sign up for two years. Add the interest it will accumulate because you'll be in Iraq the whole time and you'll be set when you get out!

Only if you aren't prior service.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the $20,000 signing bonus that was recently in the news.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

Thats nothing. Go get a labor job with a roofing company or somjething. You will make twice that in 1 year with less hours and not have religious crazed arabs trying to kill you.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the $20,000 signing bonus that was recently in the news.

umm you did and a couple of other already. :p
BTW, I should have mentioned that I am aware of the $20k bonus on the OP

Thats nothing. Go get a labor job with a roofing company or somjething. You will make twice that in 1 year with less hours and not have religious crazed arabs trying to kill you.

Its funny you mention it cos I already do that :p the problem is here in Miami everyone is doing it so wages are dirt low. No one pays more than 9 bucks for 10 hour work days and they all like to pay under the table.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Vonkhan
You don't have to be a citizen, just a legal resident.

Join up :thumbsup:

TPS isn't the same as being a legal resident. I suggest the OP contact an immigration lawyer to see if what he wants to do is in fact achievable.

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
"Thats nothing. Go get a labor job with a roofing company or somjething. You will make twice that in 1 year with less hours and not have religious crazed arabs trying to kill you.
"

LOL, it's true, but those roofing jobs are getting harder to find in some parts, poor economy

I think there plenty non americans that jioned the USA army in WW2?????????????I am not sure thou

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

Its funny you mention it cos I already do that :p the problem is here in Miami everyone is doing it so wages are dirt low. No one pays more than 9 bucks for 10 hour work days and they all like to pay under the table.

If you think you will only be working 10 hour days in the military :laugh:

your better off finding a better job and moving somewhere else in the states. trust me here do not do this for the money there are wayyyyyyy better options available to you hear.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
What kind of bonus does it yield?

You could probably call a recruiting office and find out within a few minutes if you can enlist or not.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I would bet one must be a US citizen to serve in it's armed forces...

I'd bet you would not be willing to put actual money into said bet.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

If you think you will only be working 10 hour days in the military :laugh:

your better off finding a better job and moving somewhere else in the states. trust me here do not do this for the money there are wayyyyyyy better options available to you hear.

I get what you're saying man but I'd rather pump bullets into taliban heads than to bathe in mineral spirits to remove all the 'chapapote' (tar) from my body. At least I'll be doing something that can bring me SOME honor