I want to get rid of cable TV.... but I love HD

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
My deal just expired and I had the pleasure of looking at what a 'real' cable bill looks like. The only channels I watch are HD and yet I'm paying such a ridiculous amount of money that I have trouble rationalizing the expense. I can afford it but the issue is the cost per channel I feel like I'm paying.

I basically watch the broadcast stations (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/etc.) that I can get in HD for free with an antenna. The only additional stations I watch are Discovery HD/TNT HD/ and ESPN HD. I can live without the first two but ESPN is pretty much a necessity since I am a huge sports fan. The problem is that if I look at it like that it means I'm paying my entire cable bill just to have ESPN HD which I could bum from a bar or a friend's house if I really want to watch a specific program.

I guess this is a mini-rant / brainstorming post that boils down to the 'a la carte' pricing scheme that I wish would happen. I cannot stand paying an entire cable bill when I watch maybe 5% of the offering and the majority of that 5% is something I could get for free with a bit of hassle on my end.

Does anyone else find themselves facing this same situation? For those of you who did and decided to go a different route, what did you do?

Cliffs:
Cable TV costs are ridiculous since I only watch HD channels
Considering alternatives (OTA HD channels are available)
Anyone with similar situation?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What provider?

With Comcast you can rent the HD Set-Top box for ~$6 a month (or ~$10 for a HD DVR) and get all the unencrypted QAM HD + OnDemand.

Alternatively if your TV has a QAM tuner you don't need to rent the box, though you lose the OnDemand capability.

I run internet + basic cable (because it's cheaper together than just internet) and then a $6 box rental. Cheap, HD, & I'm not paying for the dozens of channels I don't want.

Viper GTS

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
Similar situation here. We only pay 8 bucks for standard cable (don't know why) plus 8 more for the HD receiver. I would really like ESPNHD, but the price would jump from 16 to 60-something per month. Not worth it just for that, really. An OTA antenna isn't an option in my condo, but if you have a spot for a good outdoor antenna, your picture could be as good/better than cable.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What provider?

With Comcast you can rent the HD Set-Top box for ~$6 a month (or ~$10 for a HD DVR) and get all the unencrypted QAM HD + OnDemand.

Alternatively if your TV has a QAM tuner you don't need to rent the box, though you lose the OnDemand capability.

I run internet + basic cable (because it's cheaper together than just internet) and then a $6 box rental. Cheap, HD, & I'm not paying for the dozens of channels I don't want.

Viper GTS

This might be good info here Viper. I have Comcast service in the Nashville area. Are you saying that I could just rent the HD box and only pay for the HD content? There is a package available for that? I do have a tuner but one boon to the HD box is the DVR functionality so I actually do not mind that portion of the cable bill.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
The problem with Dish is that their HD channels are much more compressed than others providers, so it might not be great for HD only viewing. I have not viewed a Dish HD picture in person for awhile, though. OTA should theoretically provide a better picture with a good signal.

Viper, you don't get ESPN in HD though, correct? ESPN, TNT, and Discovery are only available on expensive cable packages or OTA (I think ESPN is OTA in Chicago, not sure though).

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

This might be good info here Viper. I have Comcast service in the Nashville area. Are you saying that I could just rent the HD box and only pay for the HD content? There is a package available for that? I do have a tuner but one boon to the HD box is the DVR functionality so I actually do not mind that portion of the cable bill.

You don't need to "pay for the HD content." The box alone (with just basic, $9.whatever a month cable) will give you all your locals in HD. You'll also get a couple extras like INHD, maybe Discovery, etc.

You'll need to walk into a local office rather than trying to do it over the phone. They will just hand you the box over the counter, saving you the install fee. You're also much less likely to get someone trying to force you into a digital package (which means $$$).

Viper GTS

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
I went through the same thing! I loved Discovery HD but they played the same stuff over and over. I couldn't stand paying $135 to Time Warner every month for HD+Internet so I canceled everything and went with AT&T for DSL(which is faster!) for only 40 bucks a month. I bought one of those Zenith things to get the over the air HD and it works well but there hasn't been anything to watch in a while. I still download the majority of the shows because I'm never at the TV at the right time and I hate commercials.

I actually lived without the internet and cable at home for a month to see what I would do with my free time if I couldn't get online. That was interesting.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005

You don't need to "pay for the HD content." The box alone (with just basic, $9.whatever a month cable) will give you all your locals in HD. You'll also get a couple extras like INHD, maybe Discovery, etc.

You'll need to walk into a local office rather than trying to do it over the phone. They will just hand you the box over the counter, saving you the install fee. You're also much less likely to get someone trying to force you into a digital package (which means $$$).

Viper GTS

I rent an HD box from Comcast for 8 bucks a month. When I bought it, channels like INHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, and Discovery HD were only available onl digital cable packages (60+ per month). That isn't listed on their site where it used to be, so I'll have to call them up. I'm in Chicago, BTW.

Jun 19, 2004
I have the exact same dilemma with Charter. I'm sick of paying what I do, and I don't watch the lower channels. I let my service almost lapse last time, and was about to just let them disconnect, but at the last minute I got anxious and sprung for it to keep my HD channels :(. Sad I know.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Viper GTS

I'll do this tomorrow. I actually already have the HD-DVR box so I'll see what I can do. It does sound like I could just call in and downgrade my service to the most basic available service and be exactly where I want to be though. Thanks for the tip.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
I have the exact same dilemma with Charter. I'm sick of paying what I do, and I don't watch the lower channels. I let my service almost lapse last time, and was about to just let them disconnect, but at the last minute I got anxious and sprung for it to keep my HD channels :(. Sad I know.

Nah it's not sad at all. Most of us have had cable all our lives and it's almost seen as something you have to have even though we all know that isn't entirely true.

luckysnafu

Jul 11, 2003
OTA HD FTW! Go to a sports bar to watch a game you really want to see or go to a friends house. I have rabbit ears hooked up to my HDTV in my 3rd floor apartment and pick up every HD channel in the area, crystal clear.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
most of the good HD channels are encrypted, so you still need the settop box, plus I am not sure if they are still doing it, but you need to get certain package to get any those good HD channels (like INHD, TMC, etc). Comcast sux.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: bum

Viper GTS

I rent an HD box from Comcast for 8 bucks a month. When I bought it, channels like INHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, and Discovery HD were only available onl digital cable packages (60+ per month). That isn't listed on their site where it used to be, so I'll have to call them up. I'm in Chicago, BTW.

I have a feeling they will tell you that you have to buy some $60 package in order to get those 4 channels. I would not be so reserved about the price if more channels were in HD but as of right now I have 3 that I watch that are not already available for free over the air.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: bum

They definitely want you to buy a digital package, but it isn't necessary.

INHD1/INHD2 were always included for me. Discovery HD was sometimes there & sometimes not (more often not in recent months). I never got ESPN or TNT, which I didn't care about anyway.

I just moved and haven't yet picked up a STB. My installer seems to think they won't give me one without a digital package. I'm hoping that won't be the case if I walk into an office, because I absolutely will not pay for anything more than basic cable. I'll get my HD OTA if it comes to that.

Viper GTS

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I recently canceled my digital cable package with road runner, down to basic cable (with local's in HD) and road runner lite. $113.79 to $39.84. That's a savings of $887.40 a year!

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001

With charter, you don't need the expanded basic channels to subscribe to HD. I get basica cable (channels 2-26) for $14.xx and then rent the HD DVR for $14.99 and then pay for the HD package which is $6.99. The HD package includes, HDNet, HDMovies, ESPNHD, Discovery Theater HD and Universal HD (Part of USA network). Depending on your area, you also get local channels in HD, I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS. My total cable bill is then $44.xx after taxes. Only downside is that you won't get any bundle with internet (luckily I get a charter business account through work).

I had a cable technician at my house a few weeks ago and he told me that I have the best plan, because I get the most expensive channel (ESPN) practically for free without paying for all the other channels. He also told me that I could add any of the other packages I wanted (sports tier, family tier, movie tier, and a few others), without adding expanded basic for only $5 per tier. He told me that if any of the CSR said I had to add expanded basic first that I should hang up and call back to talk to someone else or ask for a manager.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Tifababy

With charter, you don't need the expanded basic channels to subscribe to HD. I get basica cable (channels 2-26) for $14.xx and then rent the HD DVR for $14.99 and then pay for the HD package which is $6.99. The HD package includes, HDNet, HDMovies, ESPNHD, Discovery Theater HD and Universal HD (Part of USA network). Depending on your area, you also get local channels in HD, I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS. My total cable bill is then $44.xx after taxes. Only downside is that you won't get any bundle with internet (luckily I get a charter business account through work).

I had a cable technician at my house a few weeks ago and he told me that I have the best plan, because I get the most expensive channel (ESPN) practically for free without paying for all the other channels. He also told me that I could add any of the other packages I wanted (sports tier, family tier, movie tier, and a few others), without adding expanded basic for only $5 per tier. He told me that if any of the CSR said I had to add expanded basic first that I should hang up and call back to talk to someone else or ask for a manager.

This is genious. I wonder if Time Warner will do it? Sounds so similar to their lineup and pricing schedule. I also dont care about bundled internet since I have a business account.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Then get a Samsung DTB-H260F Tuner with a nice large back yard antenna. The total cost will run you about 6 months worth of paid TV. Or if you have a little bit extra a cash, a Coolsat 8000 HD will pick up free sattelite broadcasts.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
My deal just expired and I had the pleasure of looking at what a 'real' cable bill looks like. The only channels I watch are HD and yet I'm paying such a ridiculous amount of money that I have trouble rationalizing the expense. I can afford it but the issue is the cost per channel I feel like I'm paying.

I basically watch the broadcast stations (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/etc.) that I can get in HD for free with an antenna. The only additional stations I watch are Discovery HD/TNT HD/ and ESPN HD. I can live without the first two but ESPN is pretty much a necessity since I am a huge sports fan. The problem is that if I look at it like that it means I'm paying my entire cable bill just to have ESPN HD which I could bum from a bar or a friend's house if I really want to watch a specific program.

I guess this is a mini-rant / brainstorming post that boils down to the 'a la carte' pricing scheme that I wish would happen. I cannot stand paying an entire cable bill when I watch maybe 5% of the offering and the majority of that 5% is something I could get for free with a bit of hassle on my end.

Does anyone else find themselves facing this same situation? For those of you who did and decided to go a different route, what did you do?

Cliffs:
Cable TV costs are ridiculous since I only watch HD channels
Considering alternatives (OTA HD channels are available)
Anyone with similar situation?

I'm right with you. If I could just get espn and espn2 in HD, along with the local channels, I'm set. I'm hoping in the future they allow you to just purchase single channels.