I want to get into Starcraft.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Can I play this game offline? or is it only online?

Do people still play it?

edit = Woops, this should be in PC Gaming!

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yes you can still play it on bnet and there are a lot of people there. There's actually been a bit of a resurgence because people want to get in the spirit for Starcraft 2

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
It has a brilliant (albeit graphically outdated) single player experience. Multiplayer can be frustrating since other players have been playing for years and probably cheat.

I would wait for SC2 for multiplayer.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
It's never too late. There ARE a lot of hackers on Bnet, though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
offline you can learn a bit from playing against the bots.
they are a bit dumb though, but they can still rush like any human opponent so you can learn a little basic defense.

think the official starcraft sites have a long breakdown of all the units their capabilities/armor type/damage type etc. read up. each unit has strengths and weaknesses you should know. humans of course are much sneakier than the bots if you play online. its never too late, its a great game.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
i tried playing it a couple years ago. the graphics are really, really dated. it might have been 'the bomb' back in 1995 or whenever it was released, but it doesnt hold up very well today

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i disagree, i think it holds up because its cartoonish 2d.
if it were 3d from back then it would look really crude.
but starcraft has a nice 2d retro look that ages well.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aflac

To be honest I used maphack. I mean I never did anything blatant, but you could tell that there was always at least one hacker on the other team. Like if I went in for drops they would reposition their AA units. It was stupid.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
mercenary4hire used to have his own b.net server it was sweet, i play at least twice a week with my buddy, best game ever for pc and thats a fact

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Aflac

To be honest I used maphack. I mean I never did anything blatant, but you could tell that there was always at least one hacker on the other team. Like if I went in for drops they would reposition their AA units. It was stupid.

Actually, me too... maphack and name spoofer were the ones I remember using. I once sent out a solitary wraith to attack a solitary dropship running to make an expansion.... that was stupid :D

May 31, 2001
If I knew where my disc was I would still play it. I have bought multiple copies over the years after losing them, loaning them out and not getting them back, et cetera. I have found two copies of Brood War while searching for my StarCraft disc, though.

I agree with OrooOroo, it still holds up visually because it was done in 2D rather than 3D.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Welcome to 1998!

now lets party like its 1999!

pick up Dune II: Battle for Arrakis while you are it.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Its not too late, but it may be hard to play multiplayer.
People playing now have had years of experience, so expect to lose a lot .
Blizzard had a world tournament for starcraft last year.
I watched it on the video game channel on dish network.
Those players were extremely good and moved so fast that games lasted mere minutes.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You guys!! Im seriously! My new comp is amazing, drool at these specs!

Pentium II - 450mhz
128 MB SD133
Geforce 2 GTS

OMGOMG!! Jealous? Ill bet you are! Ill win best rig of 98 :)

Anyways OP yeah totally, starcraft has so much going for it, when your done with the actual game try out some of the UMS maps, theyre really really fun and cater to all types of players. If your one of these nuts who likes to kill kill kill a "madness" map may be for you, or maybe you like blame games then try "The thing", or if you wanna show off your mouse clicking skills try a "bound" map, theyre very difficult sometimes. The UMS maps are why i think starcraft is the best game ever made and one of the contributers to its continued popularity amongst gamers (ya ya its got perfect balance etc etc whatever, ums is fun too).

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Its not too late, people still play it. But you have to keep in mind that some of those people have been playing since the game came out, and an even larger number for several years after. You will get rocked, theres no way around it (unless you play with friends).

Sure, the graphics are outdated, but its 2D outdated graphics. 3D outdated graphics will stop me from playing some games, just because my eyes can't take it (if you still have Glover for the N64 you will DEFINITELY know what I'm talking about). 2D outdated graphics can still look good.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Yea I just played it a couple months ago and it looks just fine. 2D graphics never get old.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Yea I just played it a couple months ago and it looks just fine. 2D graphics never get old.

I've gotta disagree to some extent. SC absolutely looks dated, 2D or not. Sure, 2D has more lasting ability than 3D does. The killer is the extremely low resolution.