I want to buy a shotgun...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
Originally posted by: Antisocial Virge
Just bought this today. 870 Express. Sorry for the crappy pics
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Nothing says Merry Christmas like a firearm under the tree.

Very nice. Have you shot it? How does it feel?

Not yet. It feels pretty good and I like the pistol grip. I'm not a huge fan of the stock but I bought it because the wife is only 5 foot tall and she has to reach the trigger.

The only reason we bought it was because the neighbor beat up his wife and she ended up coming over here for protection. 22Lr target pistols are not as good as 12ga #4 buckshot.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Bozo Galora
Remington is junk.
Just buy a Benelli and be done with it.
No buyers remorse

Rem makes a good shotgun, Benelli makes a good shotgun but for different purposes.

If I'm going to break clay, I'll take the rem. If I'm going to IPSC, I'll take my benelli.

imported_MaxFSB

Oct 27, 2006
What are some good B&M and online sites to buy a home defense shotgun like the Remington 870? Is there something like a "Frys" or a "Newegg" for firearms? I am in CA, thinking about getting an 870 Express with a few accessories.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
I visited Hoffman's earlier today, and got to hold quite a few different guns. The man I talked to was very knowledgeable, and helped me answer some questions. I questioned him about several corresponding models from Benelli and other brands, and his impression was that Benelli is the most reliable hands down. The Benelli M2 was what I came to the store most interested in, and it seems as if it's what I will be buying. The gun felt very solid, it wasn't heavy, and looked very sleek. The man told me he was currently out of stock, and that he will get back to me tomorrow to tell me when the receive their next shipment. I'm hoping I will be able to get it in time for Christmas, but either way I'm really psyched!

Thanks for all the advice!

:)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxFSB
What are some good B&M and online sites to buy a home defense shotgun like the Remington 870? Is there something like a "Frys" or a "Newegg" for firearms? I am in CA, thinking about getting an 870 Express with a few accessories.

Cabela's is the closest thing to a national gun store chain that I can think of. I'd recommend visiting one if you get the chance, although there are currently none in California (or Connecticut, for that matter) right now.

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
Cool pic:beer:. Nice gun.

Edit: Is that little SOB legal?;)

No it is not, it is a title 3 firearm

And FWIW to everyone squawking abouit how good that 1950 (designed with soft metal stampings to be affordable) PUMP shotgun is, the OP said SEMI-AUTO

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

And FWIW to everyone squawking abouit how good that 1950 (designed with soft metal stampings to be affordable) PUMP shotgun is, the OP said SEMI-AUTO
It is classed as "A.O.W." (any other weapon) and a $5.00 tax stamp will bring it home to ya :D

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999

Do you mean Class III firearm? Then it is legal as long as you have the paperwork and the tax stamp paid. Same as machine guns and suppressors.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Antisocial Virge

Do you mean Class III firearm? Then it is legal as long as you have the paperwork and the tax stamp paid. Same as machine guns and suppressors.

Class III refers to the class of SOT that an FFL pays to the ATF to deal in NFA items. Class III is not a specific class of firearm, it is a specificl class of tax.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Serbu is not a class 3, it is an A.O.W.

Class 3 has, among other things, a $200.00 transfer tax where the A.O.W.'s are only $5.00 to transfer, that may be the only difference as far as ownership responsibilities go, I dont know.

I considered getting some class 3 stuff, it is big money though, and besides all the hoops you have to jump through I was told that the item has to be available for inspection at any time of the day or night by an authorized agent, not really a big deal but not something I want to have to deal with.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have a Beretta Over/Under 20 gauge and it is by far the best shotgun in my collection. I could shoot it all day long in comfort. It cost me about $1500 but you can get lesser models for about a grand if you shop around.

My friend has a similar gun in 12 gauge and it's a brute to shoot. Most 12 gauge shotguns pack a hard hit though.

I would go to your local gun store and shoulder a few different shotguns to see which feels best. I found Beretta shotguns to shoulder and point more naturally for me than Browning.

Edit-If you're in SoCal try shopping at Turner's Outdoorsman. You can check out their specials on their website. They frequently have a Beretta sale twice a year (and I think this is traditionally that time of year).