I want to buy a Motorcycle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
BTW Ross, when are you going to ride this bike?

Doesn't it rain 364 days of the year there?

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
I'd almost suggest you look at a Honda Nighthawk 750. A standard, longish wheelbase for stablility, not super fast crotch-rockety, ultra-reliable, comfortable on highway and in town. Cheap to keep (no valve adjustments)....last forever if you keep the oil changed. It is a vanilla bike, but for a learner, you could do worse. It'll cruise effortlessly, be more comfortable in town vs. a sport bike or crusier.

You should be able to find a mid-90's for $3K or so in great shape and low milage.

imho.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
LOL Thanks for the responses I might consider buying that Vespa 50cc from CostCo, after all it's only $849 and I'd only ride it for short < 25 mile trips.

The Ninja 250R sounds interesting, I might check one of those out.

Again I was just tinkering with the idea of getting a bike, the chances are very slim. I just went house shopping and I'm still at least 5 years away from paying off my new Honda Accord, paying off my cc debt and saving up for a hefty 20% downpayment.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
If you are thinking of a bike, DO NOT get a 250cc. Everyone I talked to said that they are just too small and too light for anyone weighing more than about 130. The suspension isn't built for anyone of size and they are geared towards female riders. Furthermore you are weighing about 1/3 less than a 500cc and, from what I've read, that is a problem anytime you get a vehicle of size driving in the opposite direction.

Even though I don't yet have my bike I'm pretty serious with the idea, and have the cash to cover it and associated expenses. Don't forget the cost of gear. A good helmet is $300 (at least) and most leathers aren't cheap, and a suitable racing suit costs $400+....and that's entry level.....I think buying cheap gear is like buying discount surgery, it's just not a place you want to cut corners. And you will have to buy the same gear whether you go 250cc or 500cc, and at two years used there is a <$500 difference betwen the two.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Bad news. My local CostCo no longer carries the Vespa 50cc ET2 scooter anymore plus it's max speed is only 25MPH but it doesn't require a motorcyle license and at $849 it's a freakin' bargain.

:(

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Bad news. My local CostCo no longer carries the Vespa 50cc ET2 scooter anymore plus it's max speed is only 25MPH but it doesn't require a motorcyle license and at $849 it's a freakin' bargain.

:(

That 25mph is restricted by law for unlicenced motorcycle riders. You can ride with a car licence, but you can change the speed by an easy carb mod. I know 50cc scooter (laura had one) and it would do about 50 mph no probs. But it couldnt go on the highway. it cruised upto 45mph no probs.50 was pushing it..

Laura's Bike It was her cheap way to get to school.. damn I should have used her idea.. buy it cheap and use it and then dump it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
drivin a scooter is like bangin a fat chick, it's fun while it lasts but you just dont' tell anybody about it

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
drivin a scooter is like bangin a fat chick, it's fun while it lasts but you just dont' tell anybody about it

I love driving scooters.. but that doesnt mean I like bagging fat chicks..

They are totally two different pleasures in life.

One has cushion for the pushing, the other has your balls in red.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
My vote is for the Suzuki SV650.

It's a mid sized bike, so you won't have a toy that you'll grow out of as soon as you complete your motorcycle training course. It looks great IMO. It's very light and nimble. The V-twin has good torque and it's pretty smooth for a twin. It will cruise comfortably at 65 mph. Comfortable riding position (as good as you're going to get for a non-cruiser/non-touring bike, i.e., heavy and clumsy). It looks like a Ducati Monster without the exotic price tag. It's just a great bang for the buck bike and it's such a versatile bike. It's sort of a modern Suzuki GS500 or 550, if you will.

The base price for a new one is very reasonable, but you can look for a clean used one in your price range.
Larger photo.

If you want a bigger and great all around bike, go for a Suzuki Bandit 1200 or even the 600. They are great UJM's (Universal Japanese Motorcycles or what I typically call them.. Standards because they are standard, do-it-all motorcycles). You can get great deals on either of these bikes used and they are bulletproof. The B-12 might be a little too big for you though.

Heh.. You may think that I'm a huge Suzuki fan too. I'm actually a Yamaha man myself, but I think that the Suzi SV650 is a great bike for you.

I'll have to agree with some that motorcycles are dangerous. Even if you're the best rider in the world, you are riding around the streets with a bunch of knuckleheads! You really have to watch those Aholes out there not paying attention driving their cages while jabbing away on their cell phones.

Sal