I want a good sp role playing game

Carlis

May 19, 2006
I played baldurs gate I & II long ago and loved it. Now that I have some time off, can anyone recommend a nice single player rpg that can be played on a c2d 2.16 ghz laptop with 3 gigs of ram and a radeon RadeonX1600?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Torment still holds the top spot for SP RPGs, but NWN1, BG1/2, and more recently, The Witcher can also be added to that list. I would like to add NWN2, but I think its probably like wine, better with a little age.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Torment still holds the top spot for SP RPGs, but NWN1, BG1/2, and more recently, The Witcher can also be added to that list. I would like to add NWN2, but I think its probably like wine, better with a little age.

I've gotta give BG series the edge of PS:T even tho I loved both. If the OP wants a solid SP RPG experience, all he needs to do is play the BG series and PS:T and that'll be that. :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
NWN2 isn't bad, although it isn't anywhere close to BG2... not many games are in that league :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Kromis
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
KOTOR.

Then maybe Oblivion.

:thumbsup: to these fine choices.

Except Oblivion isnt even in the same league of RPG as Baldurs Gate, and will probably not play too well on an X1600.

KOTOR and Deus Ex are the best choices for the OP right now. They have very good stories and are a lot of fun to play. The game worlds and side quests arent nearly as deep, but the storytelling is fantastic, and you still have a little freedom to complete objectives as you see fit.

Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege 2 are fun games, but they are not RPG's. They are action games with stats and not at all what the OP is looking for.

EDIT:
As a big fan of the Baldurs Gate series, you may be disappointed by the lackluster gameplay of Neverwinter Nights.
Its sequel is a lot better but still doesnt quite measure up.
The pretty colors and shiny objects may be enough to distract you though.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens
KOTOR.

Then maybe Oblivion.

Except Oblivion isnt even in the same league of RPG as Baldurs Gate, and will probably not play too well on an X1600.

KOTOR and Deus Ex are the best choices for the OP right now. They have very good stories and are a lot of fun to play. The game worlds and side quests arent nearly as deep, but the storytelling is fantastic, and you still have a little freedom to complete objectives as you see fit.

Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege 2 are fun games, but they are not RPG's. They are action games with stats and not at all what the OP is looking for.

EDIT:
As a big fan of the Baldurs Gate series, you may be disappointed by the lackluster gameplay of Neverwinter Nights.

I wouldn't say it's "not at all what the OP is looking for." Yeah TQ/DS may not be RPGs to the fullest extent of the term as say Final Fantasy or a D&D game are, but they are still classified as an RPG type game. There are stats, character builds, item/gear, leveling up...if that's not RPG, then I don't know what is.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
KOTOR.

Then maybe Oblivion.

EDIT:

I wouldn't say it's "not at all what the OP is looking for." Yeah TQ/DS may not be RPGs to the fullest extent of the term as say Final Fantasy or a D&D game are, but they are still classified as an RPG type game. There are stats, character builds, item/gear, leveling up...if that's not RPG, then I don't know what is.
I agree, you dont know what is.
I think people need to actually sit down for a session of Dungeons & Dragons, Rifts, Shadowrun or something similar so they can learn.

RPG means Role-playing game.
Other than playing the role of an action hero who clicks a mouse button like a mad man, Titan Quest is not an RPG. Like I said, its an action game with stats.
A Strength score does NOT make a video game an RPG. Sadly, most folks think it does.

The Legend of Zelda most of its sequels would be better examples of a true RPG.
Final Fantasy really isnt quite up there with D&D and similar games, but the character interaction and storytelling are what set it apart.
Too bad that nowadays playing FF is more like watching an interactive movie than actually playing a game.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
KOTOR.

Then maybe Oblivion.

EDIT:

I agree, you dont know what is.
I think people need to actually sit down for a session of Dungeons & Dragons, Rifts, Shadowrun or something similar so they can learn.

RPG means Role-playing game.
Other than playing the role of an action hero who clicks a mouse button like a mad man, Titan Quest is not an RPG. Like I said, its an action game with stats.
A Strength score does NOT make a video game an RPG. Sadly, most folks think it does.

The Legend of Zelda most of its sequels would be better examples of a true RPG.
Final Fantasy really isnt quite up there with D&D and similar games, but the character interaction and storytelling are what set it apart.
Too bad that nowadays playing FF is more like watching an interactive movie than actually playing a game.

Well, that is your opinion and I respect that, but I still think a game like TQ can be classified as an RPG to some extent. And I think OP would enjoy a game like TQ.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
PlaneScape: Torment
Baldur's Gate Series (especially 2)
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (FPS / RPG hybrid, on steam, uses HL2 engine)
Deus Ex (another FPS / RPG Hybrid)
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (FPS / RPG Hybrid)
Star Wars KotOR

Modern:
Neverwinter Nights 2