I wanna be good at math

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Besides getting off ATOT right now and studying, what should I do?
Willing to devote my life (math monk ftw).

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
Practice, Practice, Practice.

This is sincerely your only option.

Basically, start from a point in the book that you understand well, and progress through.

You cannot skip steps in math.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
I took some placement test and it said I could take calculus; I decided on precal instead. It turns out I barely even know algebra. So there is a little bit of struggle especially since my instructor isn't very good.

So far I just ordered a couple of self-teaching algebra/trig books from Amazon.
I really hope I can catch onto this stuff! :(

deepred98

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: gamepad
I took some placement test and it said I could take calculus; I decided on precal instead. It turns out I barely even know algebra. So there is a little bit of struggle especially since my instructor isn't very good.

you might have done better in calculus actually

at least in my school precal is a lot harder than calculus just because precal includes many diverse topic while calculus focuses on one thing

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: deepred98

at least in my school precal is a lot harder than calculus just because precal includes many diverse topic while calculus focuses on one thing

LOL..................

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Uhh...have you taken Calc I or II?

S

SlitheryDee

And then you divide by A.

Wait what's A? Oh here it is.

A equals the Square root of C multiplied by the mean distribution of X.

Great so C is the sum of R, K, and B (in feet per second), and X is 3 (omg an actual number)

So I divide by the square root of the sum of R, K, and B multiplied by 3.

This isn't right. I must have mistaken that smudge for a decimal point 18 steps back.

So that means...A equals an indigo elephant? Where's my calculator...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: us3rnotfound

LOL..................

Hes right, my precalc covers 45 subjects in as many days.

If you dont get one of those topics, you are left behind in the dust.

It's a very hard course, by nature.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Conquer delta epsilon proofs and you will know ALLLLLL!!211@%5$#!!

/not really, but sort of

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I dunno I don't really remember much from algebra/algebra II/trig in HS and did pretty bad in them - when I was taking college classes though it was easier to learn/remember prior concepts when working it myself or seeing professors work examples

I actually have done really well in math(4.0) whereas I got D's in HS

the key I found is really doing homework, working at the least, every other odd number, and usually every odd number and checking my answers.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yes, practice. I'm in a differential equations class right now. It's ugly stuff. It's calculus. Knowing Calc I and II was just the start. Those were nasty enough. Now this takes those numeric contortions and squishes them into single variables inside larger, even more insidious equations. Now a second-order derivative is just one variable inside an equation.

The only way to get it for the tests - do the homework, and practice. Some of the problems just have so many steps that build on previous chapters and classes; and they get so long, I sometimes forget what it was that I was solving for in the first place.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Carbo
Kumon

SIGH...

I really do not think that any elementary school should be allowed to use the term MATH. They teach arithmetic, not math.

There is a BIG difference between Arithmetic (what that link is about) and math.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ

Uhh...have you taken Calc I or II?

No, I agree with him and I have a minor in Math and a bachelor's in physics. Precalc is tedious and difficult. Calc I is easy, Calc II is hard, Vector Calc and Differential Equations are easy.

Precalc takes a lot more work than calculus because you're essentially deriving what you'll need to begin using calculus. Precalc is the hard way of doing everything. Calc is all of the shortcuts.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: Carbo
Kumon
Excellent service either for getting extra help or just wanting to get ahead in school, I highly recommend it.
I agree. I have my 9 year old daughter enrolled for the past year and a half. The progress has been noteworthy, to say the least. She is about a year ahead of her peers, and aced last year's FCAT's, (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test).

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
Practice. Also learn how to figure stuff without having examples in the text, as few books beyond Linear Algebra and Differential Equations include examples. Oh, and make sure to drink lots, you'll need the stress relief.