Question I upgraded my Modem and Router from my ISP, but my "old" network name is still visible and active.

RPH6464

Oct 9, 2020
I had an xfinity modem/router combo and there is a wired access point also installed in my house. I replaced the old equipment with a new stand alone modem and stand alone router (Both xfinity approved). I renamed the SSID for the router and it is visible and I can connect to it wirelessly. But my old network is also visible and I can also connect to it as well. I ran a speed test on both networks and the "old" one is significantly faster. That's not what I was hoping for when I changed the modem/router. How can the "old" network still be there if the old modem is unplugged and no longer active? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
What exactly is Old Network?

Do you mean that there is still an SSID that was there in the past?

May be it is the Access Point SSID.

Reactions: ksosx86
Nov 20, 2009
When you replaced the old cable modem did you call Comcast and register the new MAC address with them? If not, that is your reason for it being slower. You would be on a default traffic-shaping profile. Also, do you know if the new cable modem had a firmware upgraded by Comcast (done remotely)?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Because if you connected your old wired access point to your new router, it is still connected to the Internet. Be happy that it's fast as that's a good thing, but it points to your router's wireless not being that great.

RPH6464

Oct 9, 2020
What exactly is Old Network?

Do you mean that there is still an SSID that was there in the past?

May be it is the Access Point SSID.
I mean when I search for SSID's that I can log into, the old one called "mywifi" and my new one are both available and I can log into both using the password for each. Maybe I just don't understand access points, but how can it still have the old SSID name and password when the modem and router are no longer there?

RPH6464

Oct 9, 2020
When you replaced the old cable modem did you call Comcast and register the new MAC address with them? If not, that is your reason for it being slower. You would be on a default traffic-shaping profile. Also, do you know if the new cable modem had a firmware upgraded by Comcast (done remotely)?
I did call them and had them disconnected my old Comcast supplied modem/router. Yet I still see my old SSID. I don't know if Comcast did a new firmware update. How would I find that out? Thank you for your reply.

RPH6464

Oct 9, 2020
Because if you connected your old wired access point to your new router, it is still connected to the Internet. Be happy that it's fast as that's a good thing, but it points to your router's wireless not being that great.
OK. I freely admit I am dumb as a stump when it comes to all this, but isn't the access point's ability to connect to the internet dependent on the modem? If I disconnect and replace the modem, how is the SSID from the "old" network still ?available?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Kind of a confusing post, but if you had your old modem replaced, it was replaced with an new purchased modem, and router? The access point is it purchased or Comcast supplied, if so, it has the old wifi info in it?
Is this correct? are you using MOCA?

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
I had an xfinity modem/router combo and there is a wired access point also installed in my house. I replaced the old equipment with a new stand alone modem and stand alone router (Both xfinity approved). I renamed the SSID for the router and it is visible and I can connect to it wirelessly. But my old network is also visible and I can also connect to it as well. I ran a speed test on both networks and the "old" one is significantly faster. That's not what I was hoping for when I changed the modem/router. How can the "old" network still be there if the old modem is unplugged and no longer active? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's your WAP - hard reset it, reconnect it to your LAN again, run through the guided setup wizard of the WAP & presto'

Reactions: Ranulf and QuietDad