I tried to watch The Shield on FX.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I finally figured out where the FX channel is on my cable system and I wanted to catch an episode of The Shield. To my major disappointment, I couldn't watch the damn show. I HATE it when the DP decides that he/she has to make a name for themeselves and tries to work in all the weird camera angles. What was even more annoying was the quick zoom in on the characters. It looked like I was handling a new video cam and didn't have the hang of the zoom yet. Very annoying. I'm all for artistic camera shots, but when it's so annoying that it takes away from the story, it really sucks.

I had the very same problem with NYPD Blue when it first came out. I tried to watch it, but because of the f^cked up camera work, I couldn't stand to watch it. I think that Kim Delaney had a show that flopped about a year or so ago and it had the very same thing. Lousy camera work. I wonder if the same Director of Photography is working on all of these shows?

Doesn't this bug anyone else here?

Sal

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I've never watched the show, but I seriously empathize with regard to the poor cinematic techniques. Another good example: The SciFi Channel's DUNE miniseries. Every time the Harkonnens were shown, they were backlit in red and the camera was tilted. The overall effect was a campy Batman-esque (the tv show) ambience. Cheese.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
It's not really "artistic." It's used to add more of a raw, real feeling to the environments.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: bradruth
It's not really "artistic." It's used to add more of a raw, real feeling to the environments.

that's what i was thinking. I like it. It looks more like real life and less like a "tv show"

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
That "shaky cam" camera work is pretty cliche at this point.

But The Shield kicks ass. You're missing out.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I really can't believe that I'm the only one that this bothers. It's like tv for someone with ADD. I mean, they will have Michael Chiklis walking along talking on a cell phone and then they'll flash to a view from a second story building through some bushes. All this without the audio changing. Then, they'll have the camera on one of the actors and do a quick zoom close-up. They might flash to a shot from feet level on the actors faces. Very annoying..

I'm sure that the subject matter is good. Michael Chiklis is an excellent actor. I used to love him in The Commish. I just think it's a shame that the photography ruins it. At least for me, it does.

Oh well.. I guess I will miss out then. I missed out on NYPD Blue as well. There are still plenty of great shows to watch, so I don't think I'll miss it.

Sal

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I finally got through an episode. Turns out that it's not so bad if you either stand on your head or watch the show with the tv turned upside down. The jerky camera movements aren't that bad then.

Seriously. I just can't stand the camera work on this show and I can't believe that I'm the only one that doesn't find it annoying. If they are going for the reality/documentary look, they should watch COPS more often. Even people with handheld cameras chasing criminals in real life do a better job with the camera than the people that film The Shield.

Sal

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
vic mackey will keeeeelllllllllllllll yooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I really like this show. Just got the first 2 seasons on DVD through the Fox deal and it's great. Reminds me of The Sopranos.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Can't you just set your mental filter to block it out? IOW, kind of ignore the camera work and focus on the content of the show? The only time I can't ignore crappy visual effects is when I'm watching TV in a darkened room and they start switching from bringt lights to dark, back and forth, very quickly.