I Took the Plunge! (A Tale of Sushi)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poop

Oct 21, 1999
I have found that Americans generally like their meat EXTREMELY done. The media has everyone paranoid of this and that disease. If you buy non ground, fresh meat you are ok. As long as the animal was not diseased, you will be fine.

I enjoy both well done meats (poultry, fish) as well as more rare meats (mainly steak). I have not tried sushi, though I really want to. I have also heard of some poultry being prepared in a syshi-style roll (raw w/ rice, no seaweed). There is simply more natural flavor in the more raw meat.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just for the record, I don't eat my meat medium-well to well done due to any scare of bacteria or disease. I've alwasys liked it well cooked. Even before the paranoia about disease. I just like the way it tastes. :)

amish

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
Isla, sushi is a taste which once aquired can have a dramatic affect on your credit card balance! I like the tuna too. My first experience, my friend had me try some other creature which was totally disgusting.. I can't even remember what it was at the moment. After that first one... [I remembered, sea urchin] tuna was pure joy...

"I guess I should just keep eating them until I get over myself?"

If you think eating sushi will help you get over yourself... have at it! ;)

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
I love sushi, I started a recent thread on japenese food a while ago. but, the only thing I don't really like is fish eggs.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Just for the record, I don't eat my meat medium-well to well done due to any scare of bacteria or disease. I've alwasys liked it well cooked. Even before the paranoia about disease. I just like the way it tastes. >>

What way is that? Lack of flavor? Cooking meat anything over medium ruins the taste.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I concur with Napalm. It is not a good idea to get a really expensive steak and get it medium well or well done. Those steaks are usually the screw up steaks. They could be a piece of leather for all you know.

But to each their own. My wife likes her steaks well done also and I can't seem to get her to change either.

BTW: If you are ever in NYC and want a good steak try Sparks and get the sirloin. That place is the best.

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
here is a nice poem about Rocky Mountain Oysters by Baxter Black.

THE OYSTER

The sign upon the cafe wall said OYSTERS: fifty cents
&quot;How quaint,&quot; the blue-eyed sweetheart said, with some
bewildermence.
&quot;I didn't know they served such fare out here upon the plain?&quot;
&quot;Oh, sure,&quot; her cowboy date replied, &quot;We're really quite urbane.&quot;

&quot;I would guess they're Chesapeake or Blue Point, don't you think?&quot;
&quot;No, ma'am, they're mostly Hereford cross...and usually they're pink.
&quot;But I've been cold, so cold myself, what you say could be true
&quot;And if a man looked close enough, their points could sure be blue!&quot;

She said, &quot;I gather them myself out on the bay alone.
&quot;I pluck them from the murky depths and smash them with a stone!&quot;
The cowboy winced imagining a calf with her beneath
&quot;Me I use a pocket knife, and yank them with my teeth.&quot;

&quot;Oh, my!&quot; she said, &quot;You animal! How crude and unrefined
&quot;Your masculine assertiveness sends shivers up my spine.
&quot;But I prefer a butcher knife too dull to really cut
&quot;I wedge it in on either side and pry it like a nut!

&quot;I pry them out. If they resist, sometimes I use the pliers
&quot;Or even Grandpa's pruning shears if that's what it requires!&quot;
The hair stood on the cowboy's neck. His stomach did a whirl.
He'd never heard such grisly talk, especially from a girl!

&quot;I like them fresh,&quot; the sweetheart said and laid her menu down
Then ordered oysters for them both when the waiter came around.
The cowboy smiled gamely, though her words stuck in his craw
But he finally fainted dead away when she said, &quot;I'll have mine raw!&quot;

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love sushi but is it safe?

First time i ate it i couldent stand it, second time it was ok, third time i was hooked ;)

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Rocky Mountain Oysters are SHEEP TESTICLES...

sorry, I don't care how tasty they are. I have a rule about not putting testicles in my mouth...

l2c

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
I was really nervous trying sushi for the first time....now I almost wish I never tried it! Rather expensive habit... :Q

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm... I LOVE eating Sheep Ballz.... NOT! What the hell is wrong with you people??? :D lol!

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Hmmm....there is a Mall(yes, a mall! with McDonalds and all!) that has a Sushi bar in ther...looks VERY nice, but I have not gone in there yet...I just need to get over the fact that I will be eating Raw Fish, with salmonella and such....help me get over it! :) I would have no problem eating it if it wasnt for that...

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Ijust walked in from having dinner with my old bosses and my girlfriend! We had salmon, tuna, yellowtail, shrimp and a whole slew of rolls. Dinner and tip was $175.:Q:Q:Q Fortunately, I only had to kick in $25 for the tip. Whew...

I was weirded out by sushi at first. I mean, &quot;Ick! Raw fish?!?&quot; But what's the difference between sushi and canned tuna fish and sardines, other than sushi's waaaaaay more expensive.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< with salmonella and such >>

Salmonella is usually specific to fowl and reptiles. The biggest risk to eating sushi is the parasites.

<< But what's the difference between sushi and canned tuna fish and sardines, other than sushi's waaaaaay more expensive. >>

higher grade of meat and the freshness of the meat.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
One of the travelling shows i watched (lownley planet), the hot girl with the nice rack ate a boiled pig penis... thats right... pig penis. :disgust:

Can't remember the Country... but it was white (pig penis... the other white meat ;)).

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
One thing about sushi.

If you really want to avoid getting food poisoning, eat it at a real Japanese restaurant. Not a Japanese/Chinese or Japanese/Korean restaurant. Japanese sushi chefs are well trained and have been doing it for years and take precautions when preparing your sushi. You don't want to eat it from some guy who picked it up in community college class.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Ah, the culinary delights I have yet to discover...

And I would never even know about them if it were not for the jolly crew of ATOT!

:D

lavie

Mar 1, 2000
Isla?

There is no need to try to eat sushi when you do not like the taste. It is not a required eating.
I am not saying in a cynical manner.

I am a Japanese, and there are many Japanese (especially women) who do not enjoy sushi due to the queasy feeling of raw fish you were talking about. Of course, these women are well loved by other friends and relatives who can take their share of sushi. ;) Sushi is extremely expensive in Japan!

The taste depends on the freshness of the fish and the culinary skill of the chef. Not all sushi are created or born equal. :)

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
that green stuff that comes with sushi is deceptive
it looks so good
but its so hot!!!!!!

*kat. <-- the hot girl with the nice rack ate a boiled pig penis... thats right... pig penis, ok not really

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
LMAO @White trash sushi!

Pass the tartar sauce, Bubba!

:D :D :D

The sad thing is, I think my kids might go for that....

;)