I took a few pictures around the Rockford area and want to know your opinion of one of them.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I was inspired by a thread about urban photographs and decided to go and take a few. Here is one that I rather liked and wanted ATOT's opinion on it. Obviously, I don't like the car that is in it and some of the building is too modern looking, such as the doors. I also wish the telephone pole hadn't been there.

If anybody else wants to see some of the other pics, I'll upload them later.

Pic

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
cars and poles can be shopped.

Why did you pick Rockford? It's Rockford for god sakes :p

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Evadman

Because I now live in Rockford. :D And, it has a wealth of opportunities for pictures like this.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: loup garou
Did you go in?

The lower floor has tenents, and a couple of guys were around. I'm thinking about asking to be allowed in because they still have some of the brewery equipment. They'll probably tell me no. :(

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: loup garou
Did you go in?

The lower floor has tenents, and a couple of guys were around. I'm thinking about asking to be allowed in because they still have some of the brewery equipment. They'll probably tell me no. :(
Oh man, that's cool, it's an abandoned brewery? I'd love to wander around that.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I like, except for the car. Telephone pole doesn't bother me except for the covers over the guy wires, that makes it look more modern.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
My Attempt

With architecture you often have to distort the image to make the buildings look straight and natural.

I applied a gaussian blur to the car, parking lot, and buildings in the back.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
My Attempt

With architecture you often have to distort the image to make the buildings look straight and natural.

You killed the sky

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
My Attempt

You killed the sky

true

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I like the subject. I like to make old buildings like that a little darker. Excuse my sloppy photochopping of the car, but what do you think of the darker version?

Darker Version

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: montanafan
I like the subject. I like to make old buildings like that a little darker. Excuse my sloppy photochopping of the car, but what do you think of the darker version?

Darker Version

Well, I love the fact that the car is gone, but I don't know if I like the darker building. I guess that I felt like the original conveyed the true building, better. But that's just my personal preferance.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: montanafan

Darker Version

Well, I love the fact that the car is gone, but I don't know if I like the darker building. I guess that I felt like the original conveyed the true building, better. But that's just my personal preferance.

No, I know what you mean. My favorite photos are the ones that don't really need any processing, its just that for some reason whenever I take a photo of an old building like this, I end up darkening it or fooling around with it too much. I guess it's kind of like some people thinking the light pole is a problem and others not having a problem with it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Liviathan

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2001

Because I now live in Rockford. :D And, it has a wealth of opportunities for pictures like this.

Anything good in Rockford? I live in Chicago always looking for a roadtrip destination.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Liviathan

Anything good in Rockford? I live in Chicago always looking for a roadtrip destination.

anything good in rockford? hell no. nothing. it sucks.

ok ok it has a mall but thats not rockford its cherry valley. hmm yeap guess rockford sucks!

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

LOL, I live in Rockford too but I'm almost never there. So DainBramaged probably knows more about what to do in Rockford than me. There is Magic Waters there. It's a water recreation park.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy

ok ok it has a mall but thats not rockford its cherry valley. hmm yeap guess rockford sucks!

I haven't heard anybody say CherryVale Mall is NOT in Rockford. It's pretty much considered in the commercial district, since it's just off East State St.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: waggy

I haven't heard anybody say CherryVale Mall is NOT in Rockford. It's pretty much considered in the commercial district, since it's just off East State St.

everyone considers it part of rockford. but its actually in the city of cherryvalley (city limits anyway).