I thought it was not possible to go over the balance on a prepaid debit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
I'll keep this brief and to the the point:

Got prepaid card from rebate.
Used prepaid debit card+CC to make dell order.
Order does not ship for 2 weeks, no charges.
Have to call dell to cancel order, but was too late during day.
Decide to use prepaid card and cancel next day.
Order ships next day, can't cancel, card charged.
Prepaid card now has negative balance?
:confused:

I thought any charges to the prepaid card would have been refused since all the money on it was already spent, and that dell would stop the order or charge the rest to my CC. Emailed the support listed on the card and awaiting response, but any predictions as to what will happen?

Edit: Damn it.

"Overlimit Fee: At the discretion of Citi® Prepaid Services (formerly Ecount), a fee can be applied to the account if the total balance is less than $0.00. Citi® Prepaid Services reserves the right to collect the fee against the funding source of the account or initiate collection activity directly with the customer."

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
odd sure.. tho, having a prepaid card i've noticed situations where my card would have gone negative, should I not have had enough on it
such as when using pay at pump petrol, as they do a $1 auth charge which few days later magically morphs into the real cost

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think it's stupid that debit cards can go over the limit in any case, prepaid or not.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Ok, by definition a prepaid card should not allow you to spend more than is on the card.
We really do need some adult supervison of the credit card companies.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
I am confused.

Q. Can I spend more than my available balance?

A. No. You will not be able to spend more than your available balance. The merchant will decline your transaction.

Q. What if the amount of my purchase is more than my available balance?

A. In this case, your purchase will be declined.

But then:

"Overlimit Fee: At the discretion of Citi® Prepaid Services (formerly Ecount), a fee can be applied to the account if the total balance is less than $0.00. Citi® Prepaid Services reserves the right to collect the fee against the funding source of the account or initiate collection activity directly with the customer."

And I can't get through to customer support by phone. :( I don't see any options to send money to the account either.
It was only $30 so I hope it isn't much trouble.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
My ATM (aka Debit) card allows me to spend more than is in my account, unless I'm using an ATM.

I accidentally found this out... I had miscalculated the amount left in my account, used the debit card (as debit card not as CC) to make purchase (no indication at time of purchase that are not enough funds to cover).

Didn't know I had gone over until I get my statement... I had gone over by $5... and was charged a $70 fee because of it.

I knew I'd be cutting it close (it was right before payday), but would have expected it to be rejected due to insufficient funds... but I guess not.

I managed to get them to reverse the fee, since it was my first offense, but I wonder how much they are raking in on this.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: theknight571
My ATM (aka Debit) card allows me to spend more than is in my account, unless I'm using an ATM.

I accidentally found this out... I had miscalculated the amount left in my account, used the debit card (as debit card not as CC) to make purchase (no indication at time of purchase that are not enough funds to cover).

Didn't know I had gone over until I get my statement... I had gone over by $5... and was charged a $70 fee because of it.

I knew I'd be cutting it close (it was right before payday), but would have expected it to be rejected due to insufficient funds... but I guess not.

I managed to get them to reverse the fee, since it was my first offense, but I wonder how much they are raking in on this.

As much as they can. They'll process the largest transaction first, so you get as many over-limit fees they can impose, regardless of actual transaction order. Well, US Bank does, at least.

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
Does the CC company have your name, phone number and address? If not, tell them to pound sand.

If I were to pay them off with my other credit card then I'd tell that I will pay the amount that it went over and nothing more. I wouldn't pay any fees for either Dell's mistake or the CC company's mistake.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: theknight571

As much as they can. They'll process the largest transaction first, so you get as many over-limit fees they can impose, regardless of actual transaction order. Well, US Bank does, at least.

yep, and they will also let you overdraw and charge you a fee and they will start up a dead CC that shows a transaction (albeit with a $0 limit) and charge you overdraw fees. Luckily all this type of crap will go away with the new CC legislation.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
stop buying corsair xms2 memory.

But the deals, cannot resist!

Originally posted by: jdjbuffalo
Does the CC company have your name, phone number and address? If not, tell them to pound sand.

If I were to pay them off with my other credit card then I'd tell that I will pay the amount that it went over and nothing more. I wouldn't pay any fees for either Dell's mistake or the CC company's mistake.

Unfortunately they do. Seems they took the information from the rebate form.

If they want try charging me fees then I will quote their FAQ stating that purchases over the limit will be declined. I didn't think all of this would come attached when I signed up for the rebate, looks like they found a way to make rebates even worse.

I still haven't been able to get through by calling, guess I will try again.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
A lot of the time the POS system just verifies that the balance isn't negative and puts the charge through. Gas stations are the worst for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.