Question I thought I had it all figured out...

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I am upgrading my PSU to give my son my EVGA B3 550w. I was set on this one from Seasonic: https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focu...x-650w/p/N82E16817151186?Item=N82E16817151186

I'm waffling now and instead leaning towards this one from Corsair: https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-rmx-s...a-650w/p/N82E16817139232?Item=N82E16817139232

The Corsair will be about $7 cheaper in the end. The Seasonic has a smaller fan, but it's of better quality. The Corsair has Japanese capacitors, but I've read Seasonic has good ones too. Tom's Hardware does pretty extensive reviews of PSU's and they seem to love Corsair. The Newegg reviews of both are no help, except Seasonic has a lot more reviews.

I was going to go 750w, but I have a 3600 CPU and don't plan on going any higher than a 3060ti for a GPU, which will last me as long as the PSU. My Sapphire 5700XT draws more power now than it will.

I know both will be good choices, but if pushed, which would you go with? Does one have significantly better/easier-to-route cables or some other intangibles? I've never owned either brand, but don't just want to get another EVGA...I like to try new stuff. I do however love the EVGA and how I never even notice that it's there...

Reactions: James3shin

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Sounds like you really can’t lose. It also sounds like your son may eventually receive this power supply so why not have him be the tiebreaker?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Sounds like you really can’t lose. It also sounds like your son may eventually receive this power supply so why not have him be the tiebreaker?

Yah, either way will be fine I'm sure, I'm just wondering if someone that has owned both brands could chime in. My son knows nothing about PSU's...he would just be picking based on how the box looks :D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That Corsair PSU is made by Channelwell, (CWT) so odds are, it's every bit as good as the Seasonic. Reviews say it comes with a 10 year warranty. That says quite a bit by itself. I have a Corsair (Seasonic built) PSU in a PC that's ~12years old and hasn't ever skipped a beat. Corsair USUALLY has their power supply units done right.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I am upgrading my PSU to give my son my EVGA B3 550w. I was set on this one from Seasonic: https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focu...x-650w/p/N82E16817151186?Item=N82E16817151186

I'm waffling now and instead leaning towards this one from Corsair: https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-rmx-s...a-650w/p/N82E16817139232?Item=N82E16817139232

The Corsair will be about $7 cheaper in the end. The Seasonic has a smaller fan, but it's of better quality. The Corsair has Japanese capacitors, but I've read Seasonic has good ones too. Tom's Hardware does pretty extensive reviews of PSU's and they seem to love Corsair. The Newegg reviews of both are no help, except Seasonic has a lot more reviews.

I was going to go 750w, but I have a 3600 CPU and don't plan on going any higher than a 3060ti for a GPU, which will last me as long as the PSU. My Sapphire 5700XT draws more power now than it will.

I know both will be good choices, but if pushed, which would you go with? Does one have significantly better/easier-to-route cables or some other intangibles? I've never owned either brand, but don't just want to get another EVGA...I like to try new stuff. I do however love the EVGA and how I never even notice that it's there...

If you want to save some money look at this one, it's identical to the Seasonic with a different brand on it:

I've been using mine for 11 months without issue.

Or get the Seasonic at Amazon, Newegg is gouging.
https://smile.amazon.com/Seasonic-G...sonic+650&qid=1609274550&s=electronics&sr=1-1

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
If you want to save some money look at this one, it's identical to the Seasonic with a different brand on it:

I've been using mine for 11 months without issue.

Or get the Seasonic at Amazon, Newegg is gouging.
https://smile.amazon.com/Seasonic-G...sonic+650&qid=1609274550&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Thanks, I never considered the Phanteks. On Amazon.ca it would however cost me exactly what the Seasonic would on Newegg (this is in Canadian $). The Seasonic all-in would be $138 CAD ($105 USD), same as the Phanteks. I am intrigued by the price of the 750w model though on Amazon ($116 USD after tax).

According to Tom's HW review it scores a little lower than the Seasonic, but is apparently based on the Seasonic platform. To quote the review: "The Phanteks AMP Series is based on the newest revision of the Seasonic Focus platform:" So, the exact same power supply with a different name? Why would they do that?

Phanteks, Seasonic and Corsair are all about the same price on my end. Knowing that, which one?

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks, I never considered the Phanteks. On Amazon.ca it would however cost me exactly what the Seasonic would on Newegg (this is in Canadian $). The Seasonic all-in would be $138 CAD ($105 USD), same as the Phanteks. I am intrigued by the price of the 750w model though on Amazon ($116 USD after tax).

According to Tom's HW review it scores a little lower than the Seasonic, but is apparently based on the Seasonic platform. To quote the review: "The Phanteks AMP Series is based on the newest revision of the Seasonic Focus platform:" So, the exact same power supply with a different name? Why would they do that?

Phanteks, Seasonic and Corsair are all about the same price on my end. Knowing that, which one?

Phanteks wanted to add power supplies to expand their product line so they contracted Seasonic. They aren't the only one's, many brands re-brand parts from other manufacturers.

Since the prices are all the same, I'd pick either the Seasonic or Phanteks. I liked the graphics on the Phanteks better, and it was $10 less in the US at the time, so it was an easy choice for me. Not really a fan of anything Corsair, but I'm sure its a good PS too.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Sounds like they are all made by Seasonic, so that's probably the one to get then, but I agree, I do like the look of the Phanteks. EVGA is tempting me today however as their B5 PSU just dropped in price by almost $10 again (to $68 USD). That's almost $40 cheaper than the others. From what I can tell, it's made by Superflower. It's basically the same one I have now (B3, for almost 4 years) but in a 650W. Actually the B3 doesn't have a quality fan like the B5 does. This is the only real review I could find, and it's for the 550w, but implies that the 650 is the same:

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/144901-evga-550-b5-psu-550w/

The difference I see is that it's bronze not gold, doesn't have Japanese capacitors throughout, just the main stuff, and only has a 5 year warranty, which I haven't reached yet with my other one.

I have another younger (14) son that doesn't really play video games atm, but his PC that I built him has a very old 430W Thermaltake PSU (with an i5 4690 and 1060 3GB) that will likely need replacing, just because of the heat and noise it generates. My point being that maybe I don't want to spend too much this time as I may be handing this one down soon anyways ;)

Anyone ever had issues with EVGA? How is their warranty dept. to deal with? Is EVGA junk and I'm just not seeing it yet with my current PSU? I'm also wondering if power usage of a Gold vs Bronze may make the Gold worth the investment over time, although my PC spends most of it's day in sleep mode, and from what I've read, the difference in power may take 30 years to make up on a single, low-use PC.

There's also this Fractal Design Platinum 660w that dropped in price and is now the same as the Seasonic:

https://www.newegg.ca/fractal-desig...k-660w/p/N82E16817580022?Item=N82E16817580022

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-660p-power-supply-review,6266-6.html

From the review, which was good overall: "One of the significant downsides of this product is the low bottom efficiency with 2% load."

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
The EVGA is only Bronze certified, and only has a 5 year warranty. That's why it's so cheap. I don't think Super Flower makes their power supplies at all any more. Also has less CPU and PCI-e connectors. I know my new board takes 8 + 4 pin power connectors. Seems many new boards do.

I'd still stick with the Phanteks or Seasonic.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
The EVGA is only Bronze certified, and only has a 5 year warranty. That's why it's so cheap. I don't think Super Flower makes their power supplies at all any more. Also has less CPU and PCI-e connectors. I know my new board takes 8 + 4 pin power connectors. Seems many new boards do.

I'd still stick with the Phanteks or Seasonic.

I think I will end up going with either the Phanteks, or the Seasonic, unless I decide to wait and see if the 750w Seasonic drops by $20 like it has in the past (to $107 USD).

The review of the B5 that I linked does say: "Inside, EVGA looks to have teamed up with Superflower who also OEMs for the aforementioned G3 PSUs", but there is no mention of this on the EVGA site, and others say it is now FSP built, and that Superflower EVGA ended with the G3. Not sure why this information is so difficult to find. My B3 550W is built by Super Flower. Maybe why it's been so good.

I don't like how EVGA pumps out 50 different models of PSU...really annoying. Call me an idiot, but what 8+4 pin are you referring to? The main power plug? I have a new B550 MB and didn't notice any issues hooking up my B3. I also wouldn't ever have more than a single GPU, or anything much more expensive than my 3600 for a CPU.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
CPU connectors are usually in the top left corner of the motherboard. Here's my example:

If the connections are there, I always hook them up. I think one 8 pin is enough for most CPU's, but who knows in the future. I plan to keep the power supply though another build or two.

Ok, I figured that's what you were talking about. My board has a single 8 pin (MSI B550 Gaming Plus). I always only hook one 4 pin up with my 3600. I did go back when I changed ram and hook both up as the other one was dangling there, but I didn't notice a difference. I bought this board based on HW Unboxed VRM testing where they even O/C a 3950X:

Under what circumstance would you need all 8+4 plugged in? Now, I will never be spending this much cash on a CPU for gaming, but from their review of the 5950X it uses less power than the 3950X, not more, which you'd *hope* would be the trend going forward.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Like I said, I'm sure the 8 pin is enough, although my manual does not say it's optional, it probably is.

But who knows what the future will bring. I remember when boards had no CPU convector, then 4 pin, then 8 pin, and now....

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Like I said, I'm sure the 8 pin is enough, although my manual does not say it's optional, it probably is.

But who knows what the future will bring. I remember when boards had no CPU convector, then 4 pin, then 8 pin, and now....

Yah, I suppose if you're always buying the expensive, high wattage CPU's it may make sense. I try to stick to 65W.

I'm still hopelessly undecided. I thought I was unique, but there are several threads on other forums asking the exact same question going back 3 years...Seasonic Focus gold/Phanteks, or Corsair RMx. I really wish the prices were further apart on them! The Corsair RMx series doesn't seem to get as much love on forums, but the pro reviewers all seem to think they're great. It seems to be that people are still thinking of older /other versions of Corsair that weren't very good. I've never owned one, so couldn't say.

I like that the Corsair has the larger 135mm fan and is quieter than the Seasonic, but I don't know that that's even an issue? It could be just as silent to the average person, and if Seasonic put a 120mm fan in a small chassis with a 10 year warranty, it must be ok. The other thing I noticed is that the Corsair PSU seems to only have SATA cables with 90 deg ends. This would be very annoying for me as I have a SATA SSD mounted to the back of my case vertically (Fractal Meshify C) and a 90 would not work at all. I don't feel like getting an adapter.

Does the Phantek come with 90 deg SATA cables too? I can't tell from the pictures I can find. Something that mundane may sway me one way or the other at this point :D

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
It comes with one 90 degree cable, same as the Seasonic. Cables are exactly the same.

I can't hear mine at all, it is completely silent. It does have a "hybrid" mode, where the fan won't even turn on at low temps. I don't use it, because I can't hear any difference with the fan on or off. I've never had the fan ramp up, even when stress testing. It's a 3700X at the moment.

As far as Corsair, I have built at least 200 computers (probably many more) for my employer over the years. We bought whatever was decent but economical. I don't think more than a couple PSU' failed with any brand. BUT, we had a ton of Corsair memory fail, at least a dozen sticks. And I probably only bought that brand for less than 40 comps. I don't buy anything with the Corsair name on it anymore. Admittedly, it was awhile ago,

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Just to make my decision a little tougher, this one's also on sale, and much cheaper for the 750w than either Seasonic or Corsair:

https://www.newegg.ca/thermaltake-t...on-ps-tpd-0750fnfaga-1-750w/p/N82E16817153397

Gets about the same review quality as the others:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-850w-power-supply

EDIT: pulled this from a review...off the list now: "Did not come with a straight line sata power connector. My previous Thermaltake power supplies have all come with at least one straight sata connector. This one did not. All of them were right angle power connectors. Makes it difficult to mount drives on the back side of the case."

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
It comes with one 90 degree cable, same as the Seasonic. Cables are exactly the same.

I can't hear mine at all, it is completely silent. It does have a "hybrid" mode, where the fan won't even turn on at low temps. I don't use it, because I can't hear any difference with the fan on or off. I've never had the fan ramp up, even when stress testing. It's a 3700X at the moment.

As far as Corsair, I have built at least 200 computers (probably many more) for my employer over the years. We bought whatever was decent but economical. I don't think more than a couple PSU' failed with any brand. BUT, we had a ton of Corsair memory fail, at least a dozen sticks. And I probably only bought that brand for less than 40 comps. I don't buy anything with the Corsair name on it anymore. Admittedly, it was awhile ago,

Oh, so it does have a straight SATA end connector as well? I do use my ECO mode switch on the EVGA, and never even know if it's running, even when gaming. I've never had it switched off though, so maybe there is no difference. I do like the silence.

You've had Corsair memory fail recently? I say this as I just bought the Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 kit for my son as it was quite cheap a month ago ($79 USD) and he wanted the bling. ;) I'm running 32GB of the Vengeance LPX in my system. No issues 6 months in. Did they fail right away or after several months/years? I usually buy G Skill, but changed it up this time.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I had a Thermaltake 520w last for 9 years before I replaced it (made by CWT). It's in a friends computer now that needed a quick replacement. I believe I bought it in 2003. It did sit idle for a couple of years, but that's about 15 years of use now.

I don't care for the RGB, but it wouldn't show in my new Define R6 anyways.

Get the one you like the looks of, you're overthinking it.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Oh, so it does have a straight SATA end connector as well? I do use my ECO mode switch on the EVGA, and never even know if it's running, even when gaming. I've never had it switched off though, so maybe there is no difference. I do like the silence.

You've had Corsair memory fail recently? I say this as I just bought the Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 kit for my son as it was quite cheap a month ago ($79 USD) and he wanted the bling. ;) I'm running 32GB of the Vengeance LPX in my system. No issues 6 months in. Did they fail right away or after several months/years? I usually buy G Skill, but changed it up this time.

It only has one 90 degree connector at the end of ONE cable, all the others are straight. Look at the pics, unless you have over a dozen drives, you should be all set.

No, the Corsair memory failures were at least 10 years ago, don't remember how long they lasted, but it wasn't very long, maybe a year. But I won't use them anymore, RMA's are just extra work/hassle for me. We don't build our own comps anymore, it's more economical to buy pre-built these days for the office locations. We do add extra memory to some. and I usually buy G.Skill.

I do still build a couple a year for friends, family, or my own use.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I had a Thermaltake 520w last for 9 years before I replaced it (made by CWT). It's in a friends computer now that needed a quick replacement. I believe I bought it in 2003. It did sit idle for a couple of years, but that's about 15 years of use now.

I don't care for the RGB, but it wouldn't show in my new Define R6 anyways.

Get the one you like the looks of, you're overthinking it.

Now you sound like my wife. ;) I know I'm overthinking it, but that's what I do. PSU's are a PITA to buy as there are so many different models for each brand at roughly the same price.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
It only has one 90 degree connector at the end of ONE cable, all the others are straight. Look at the pics, unless you have over a dozen drives, you should be all set.

No, the Corsair memory failures were at least 10 years ago, don't remember how long they lasted, but it wasn't very long, maybe a year. But I won't use them anymore, RMA's are just extra work/hassle for me. We don't build our own comps anymore, it's more economical to buy pre-built these days for the office locations. We do add extra memory to some. and I usually buy G.Skill.

I do still build a couple a year for friends, family, or my own use.

It can be hard to tell with some of the pics when the cables are coiled together. I was looking on my laptop, which made them hard to see too. I can clearly see them now on my 32" screen for the Seasonic one anyways. It does look like the Corsair PSU doesn't have any straight ones from the pics. I can't believe how stupid that is. Most new cases have vertical SSD mounts. As far as RAM goes, I know I'm jinxing myself, but that's another thing I've never had fail in over 30 years. Come to think of it, the only piece of hardware that has ever failed on me was a 320GB Seagate Barracuda HDD that only lasted a few years.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Personally, I've only had two pieces fail in my own computers. A sound card many years ago, and a motherboard when I built my current system a month ago on Dec. 1st. It ran great for one day, and just died on a reboot the second day.

It took Newegg three weeks to get me another board. It's been working since I put it back together on the 23rd.

But at work I mange about 60 computers (used to be more). With those numbers you are bound to have some failures. In 20 years probably about 25 hard drives, a few ps, a few motherboards, and all that Corsair ram.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've had issues with different kits of Corsair ram. Both times, they provided shipping both ways and turned around the replacement quickly.

As far as PS supplies, the only failures I've had in the last 15 years have been with Corsair as well, but that was on a unit from 2008 that lasted a good 8 years. Now I mainly purchase Seasonic, but also have 2 EVGA 1000W G3 supplies which have done well. I have also used an XFX model that was a rebranded Seasonic that has held up well. The only thing to watch for with Phanteks is the quality of parts they decided to use. For example, the Revolt X has had a lot of issues, though it was complicated by being dual system. Both Seasonic and EVGA have incredible support if it does comes down to an RMA.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I've always had good luck with EVGA too (video cards and PSU), but the number of models they have out and ridiculous amount of time I need to spend deciphering them all isn't worth it (i.e. which one's were actually made by Super Flower).

Any idea why Tom's is so in love with Corsair? Pretty much every review of the Corsair PSU's on their site is glowing, and they always seem to recommend the Corsair over Seasonic/Phanteks/EVGA if the prices are the same. I ordered the Phanteks 750w AMP on Amazon. Tom's says it's loud however:

"The strongest model of the AMP line, with 750W max power, offers high performance, but its noise output is quite high, reaching 33 dB(A). On the other hand, the similar capacity Corsair RM and RMx units, along with the Asus ROG Strix 750, offer high performance along with silent operation"

It was by far the cheapest quality 750w I could find, but it isn't in stock until Jan. 24th. I figure I can watch the prices of the other ones until then and cancel the order if something better priced comes along before the 24th.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Jonny Guru has reviewed many of the popular models still on the market or at least their direct predecessors. At least the Seasonic units I’ve purchased have done well and the same with EVGA. Can always check out his reviews of the Corsair products to validate.