I think WebMD is bad for people.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Linux23
It saved my life one night about 8 years ago and diagnosed an Appendicitis. I had the exact same symptoms, went to the doctor, he pre-admitted me to the hospital, and the next morning I was in surgery.

that's one of the many times that webmd is good for people. like amused said, there's no such thing as too much information. it's just what you do with the information that matters. if you go into the doctors office and tell the doctor what you have because you self-diagnosed it and whatnot, a lot of times, doctors will decide to save money on stuff and get the drug company kickbacks and just prescribe the patients without being thorough whatsoever.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Absolutely. I went to my doc, he examined me and I never told him what I thought I had.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
my immune system is badass. all i get are colds/coughs. damn near invincible, i tell you :p

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I disagree. Around this time last year a lump, which I fondly referred to as my third testicle, began to appear in my scrotum (neat, eh?). Within about 10 minutes of searching online, and reading through sites like WebMD, it became clear that I had an inguinal hernia. I visited the doctor, scheduled the surgery, and was back on my feet two days later.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: eits
webmd CAN be bad for people... i don't think it necessarily IS bad for people. i think that it can be bad for people because it leads to too many self-diagnoses and that can be dangerous. then, they end up going to the doctor to get medicine for some diagnosis they gave themselves and medical doctors are often times pretty willing to give the patient whatever they want and whatever drug they ask for.

blam, straight from the dude with the stethoscope avatar.

just so there's no misunderstanding, i'm not a medical doctor. i'm a senior chiropractic intern.

You can do internships for pseudoscience now?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
my immune system is badass. all i get are colds/coughs. damn near invincible, i tell you :p

I predict that you will be dead by the end of the week... I mean, you're pretty much asking for it at this point :p

gururu2

Oct 14, 2007
in a time when doctors are under the thumb of insurance companies to suppress costs, I think WebMD can be a terrific resource. how many times have you gone into a doctors office, waited 3 hours to see a frkn RN, and have to take several more visits to get referred to a real doctor, only to spend another 3 hours waiting do he can spend 10 minutes with you telling you that your problem isn't a big deal and requires no treatment.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: MrLee
I really think WebMD leads to the paranoid. I've got a buddy that goes there religously when he gets the chills or feels a wierd pain somewhere real fast. I hope it doesn't get so popular that we are all diagnosing ourselves trying to figure out what's wrong with us when such little things occur and then thinking that we need some sort of treatment for it. And the bigger, more important things should really be handlded by a doctor, not some website. Get with it man!

You should explain this to him, then explain that he should instead post about any medical symptons here on ATOT instead, like so many others do.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I went to the doctors to complain about constant chest pain (which continues to this day). He printed out a WebMD article and handed it to me and was like, "I believe this is what you have." and basically just told me to take 4 Ibuprofen when it hurts. Apparently some muscle defect in the chest wall or something.

Yeah, I sure felt that health insurance was well spent. I should study WebMD so I can be a doctor like him. ;(