I think this is how a lot of people feel about Trump supporters

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
"We have NO idea who wrote them" is about as an absurd of a claim as one could make. Everything we know about the authorship of the gospels is that the names attributed to them are the people who wrote them. There isn't a competing contender as author for any of them.
Agree. His source is "dubious" at best.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
As a parent it's pretty pathetic that I have to run a non-stop bullshit filter against a presidential candidate.

Not against the candidate, but the talking heads who slander the candidate into being the devil incarnate.

Nov 30, 2006
My source is Wiki on that. I do know and have known for quite awhile that the consensus by Biblical scholars is that the Gospel authorship is unknown and written significantly AFTER the Pauline writings.

timeline.png
Source of graph is dubious (http://rationalfaiths.com/). Most scholars calculate the death of Jesus between AD 30 and AD 36 (most likely April 3, AD 33).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Jesus

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I object to your tone. You come off like a right winger raving about welfare queens. It's divisive & it plays right into Trump's game.

Trump voters will likely have 4 years to figure out that they've been conned. Top down class warfare & financial looting will only intensify. They won't be on the winning end of that any more than the rest of America.

To be clear about this, the problems with "welfare queen" terminology was never the part about people getting subsidy money, but the racism from their imagery of lazy black women. Racism because white people get far better welfare, and the sheer intellectual dishonesty in trying to blame minorities for a welfare state that largely benefits themselves.

Of course Trump will continue to loot and help out anyone who helps him in turn; clearly this isn't really about class anymore given his followers (and beneficiaries) come from all economic backgrounds, but how much ass they can suck, and quite a few here are earning their keep. It's all standard fare for that type of leader.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
If Mark didn't write Mark then why would somebody make up a secondary character like him?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah...wtf does Wikipedia know anyway! Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Josephus know nothing. You sir, are clearly much better informed!

It really doesn't take much to be more informed than a parrot; just don't start with the conclusion and work backwards to justify it. Simple.

I'm told I am rather well read on antiquity actually. I blame Goscinny and Uderzo for getting me hooked when I was 7. Informed enough to be thoroughly unimpressed by your name drops btw. Sorry, if I was as easily impressed as you seem to be we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There is no historical evidence that jesus existed. None. Practice whatever ethos you want, but deal with it. And incidentally if you can take an honest look at Mithra, Horus, Buddha, Dionysus, Krishna and all the others that predate your jesus and not have your inner skeptic pipe up, well... I definitely stand by my previous jesus freak comment.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Glad to see you acknowledge his existence. Everything else aside (some of which I also struggle with)...perhaps his words will have meaning for you. The history surrounding his words and the authenticity of what was actually said is very interesting reading as well for those so inclined. It's amazing to see just how much this subject has been intensely studied during the past 2,000 years. Perhaps Jesus was not God in the way you and others may think of God, but he clearly was an exceptional historical figure worthy of attention.

If Jesus were that exceptional historical figure worthy of attention then more people would've written about various miraculous exploits while he was still around instead of resurrect these stories well after death.

Christianity is in any practical measure a mythology and social org system like any other, with its benefits and pitfalls. If people want to use a positive role model to be/do good, that makes the world a better place, but we also see many examples here of supposed christians using their lord's name to violate every ethical standard they claim he represents.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
To be clear about this, the problems with "welfare queen" terminology was never the part about people getting subsidy money, but the racism from their imagery of lazy black women. Racism because white people get far better welfare, and the sheer intellectual dishonesty in trying to blame minorities for a welfare state that largely benefits themselves.

Of course Trump will continue to loot and help out anyone who helps him in turn; clearly this isn't really about class anymore given his followers (and beneficiaries) come from all economic backgrounds, but how much ass they can suck, and quite a few here are earning their keep. It's all standard fare for that type of leader.

Please. 60M Trump voters will get bumpkus out of top tier tax cuts, deregulation, military spending & cuts to social welfare programs of all kinds. They'll get some kind of temporary economic bubble like the Iraqi war & the ownership society followed by collapse of the scam & severe economic contraction for all the usual reasons.

The wall won't make any difference nor will keeping muslims out of the country. Trump's SCOTUS picks will work to lock in the advantages of the financial elite for decades. Tariffs will just mean we'll pay more & buy less so there's no point in investment in a contracting market. If we don't make trade deals to open markets to our own exports then investment will flow to other places where that can happen.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Please. 60M Trump voters will get bumpkus out of top tier tax cuts, deregulation, military spending & cuts to social welfare programs of all kinds. They'll get some kind of temporary economic bubble like the Iraqi war & the ownership society followed by collapse of the scam & severe economic contraction for all the usual reasons.

The wall won't make any difference nor will keeping muslims out of the country. Trump's SCOTUS picks will work to lock in the advantages of the financial elite for decades. Tariffs will just mean we'll pay more & buy less so there's no point in investment in a contracting market. If we don't make trade deals to open markets to our own exports then investment will flow to other places where that can happen.

Did you miss this thread?: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...nearly-1-000-carrier-jobs-in-indiana.2493134/

Notice they got theirs from yet another taxpayer handout. I suppose one day their little fascist econ scheme will collapse, but that might not be for a while, by which time the most backwards experienced ones will be retired/dead anyway.

They clearly give zero shits about screwing you or the next gen so why such prison dilemma love for them?

Nov 25, 2013
It really doesn't take much to be more informed than a parrot; just don't start with the conclusion and work backwards to justify it. Simple.

I'm told I am rather well read on antiquity actually. I blame Goscinny and Uderzo for getting me hooked when I was 7. Informed enough to be thoroughly unimpressed by your name drops btw. Sorry, if I was as easily impressed as you seem to be we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There is no historical evidence that jesus existed. None. Practice whatever ethos you want, but deal with it. And incidentally if you can take an honest look at Mithra, Horus, Buddha, Dionysus, Krishna and all the others that predate your jesus and not have your inner skeptic pipe up, well... I definitely stand by my previous jesus freak comment.

History from only the best of sources. :p

perso3-4.png

:D :D :D

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I can't believe I'm reading this and I'm not getting punkd or something. The comparisons with Mithra and Horus are PATENTLY ABSURD then you have the gall to talk about somebody's "inner skeptic". I'm literally looking for Rod Serling over here because you can't be real. This has to be the Twilight Zone.

If you have one atom of skepticism you should be able to see that Mithra and Horus couldn't have spawned a completely fictional Jesus of the bible. This is 'meme atheism' and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Did you miss this thread?: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...nearly-1-000-carrier-jobs-in-indiana.2493134/

Notice they got theirs from yet another taxpayer handout. I suppose one day their little fascist econ scheme will collapse, but that might not be for a while, by which time the most backwards experienced ones will be retired/dead anyway.

They clearly give zero shits about screwing you or the next gen so why such prison dilemma love for them?

1000 jobs is bumpkus, kinda like the ballyhoo over Ford jobs that weren't going away in the first place. It's all flash, like a twenty wrapped around a roll of ones.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
1000 jobs is bumpkus, kinda like the ballyhoo over Ford jobs that weren't going away in the first place. It's all flash, like a twenty wrapped around a roll of ones.

Keep in mind all this is but a taste of what's come when he's actually president.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
History from only the best of sources. :p

I always thought of it as a good primer for Monty Python. Had a PG-13 Life of Brian quality to it.

And what a segue! Remember 12 Tasks of Asterix? Heracles is a son of god. Born of virgin mother. Dies and vanishes to heaven. He's no Horus, but still.

Nov 25, 2013
I always thought of it as a good primer for Monty Python. Had a PG-13 Life of Brian quality to it.

And what a segue! Remember 12 Tasks of Asterix? Heracles is a son of god. Born of virgin mother. Dies and vanishes to heaven. He's no Horus, but still.

My first Asterix

08gb.jpg

asterix-and-the-british.jpg

Nov 30, 2006

So let me get this straight, all the references to Jesus in history were fabricated, even the references made by several non-Christian historians?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
So let me get this straight, all the references to Jesus in history were fabricated, even the references made by several non-Christian historians?

There are no existing eyewitness or contemporary secular accounts of Jesus that I am aware of.

The strongest evidence for Jesus's existence is the Gospels. It seems implausible to me that those authors would make up a story about somebody who didn't even exist. There probably was a man named Jesus and he was probably crucified.

Jesus's last words were supposedly "my God my God why have you forsaken me" according to Mark (the earliest gospel). This makes absolutely no sense unless Jesus was NOT God. It would be like me saying "bshole bshole why have you forsaken me". It is also indicative of a person who was perhaps surprised and anguished by his predicament, not an entity that was fulfilling a purpose he had planned for before the creation of the universe....... sacrificing himself (well sorta, 3 days as a spirit in the underworld is hardly a "sacrifice") to himself so that he could create a belief test (as a barrier to heaven and an entrance to hell) which the vast majority of civilization would fail..... this in spite of the fact that we now know SCIENTIFICALLY that belief is not a choice but simple brain physics that God put into our heads.

I find it very troubling that Jesus's last words were then changed by later authors in Luke and John to indicate something completely different, first "into thy hands I commend my spirit" and finally "it is finished". This is pretty direct evidence of a theology in development.

Last edited:

wetech

Jul 16, 2002

Something tells me the 1000 people who get to keep their jobs don't think this way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Something tells me the 1000 people who get to keep their jobs don't think this way.

Which changes what I said not at all. It's good for them while being insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

Repubs have been highly successful blowing things out of proportion in whatever direction they want it to go. This is no different.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it all is that we're already doing pretty good in the wake of the economic nut kick of the Ownership Society. All Trump has to do to claim victory is to claim responsibility for it down the road even though he's played no part at all.

His fans will eat it up. Hail Trump!