i think there's about to be a heroin epidemic in the USA....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
It sounds like you have a legit reason to utilize medication to improve your lifestyle. The problem is all the make-believe "My neck hurts" or "I have fibroid-mialgia" bullshit that gets people addicted to opiates and other drugs.

We should probably just commercialize and regulate natural narcotics. Control the type of weed and other things people get. But I have a hard time figuring out what commercialized heroin and crack cocaine would look like....so where do you draw the line between legal/illegal?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
opium, and cocaine? or cannabis? GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.

The movement is at least behind legalizing cannabis...which honestly has the least side effects and harmful effects then everything (except for lung cancer risks)

I'm not sure how you could commercialize street levels of opium and cocaine though, people can act REALLY strange on that stuff. Street drugs does not = the early forms of narcotics.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Aren't there medications that help you ween off heroin? I thought there were.

There is Kratom for opium addiction and in fact it is fully legal in the US and you can probably buy it online or at some niche distributor around you. What it would do for heroin or morphine addiction I would have no idea.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
i dont see a problem with opiate use to control pain..... it's an ancient medicine...only in the last 100 or so years have we had it rammed down our throats that's the worst stuff ever...

really it's the government, our government that is the problem, it's a bold faced lie, the way they've stigmatized all of the natural, ancient meds.....cannabis, opium, cocaine...

Cocaine is actually an extract from the Coca plant so not exactly a natural ancient medicine. However use of unprocessed Coca is fully legal in many South American countries.

As for opium well it is not that bad on a dose by dose consideration. But the long term effects and addiction can be very bad.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
considering it's a felony, i think they're gonna take the easier route.. and go see the neighborhood mexican..

it's almost like some backroom deal was made with the DTO's (drug trafficking organizations, and cartels)...

pot used to be the cash crop, supported the whole operation.. now it's being legalized, and more importantly, produced in commercial quantities here in the states... it's almost like the government is handing the opiate market to them to fill the gap..

just some quick math... before people were spending ~150-300 for the doctor visit, twice a year, and spending about 80 a month for the actual meds (based off the price of what i pay for 120 norco 10/325..

now that's gonna go to 150-300 every month, plus the 80 on top of that.... so upwards of 300-400 a month as opposed to ~100/month averaged, if you were getting 6 refills (seeing the doctor twice a year).....that's quadrupled..

heroin comes down to about 10 bucks a day for 100mg a day.... and 100mg of diamorphine is actually much more potent than 40mg of hydrocodone a day.... it's about 4x as potent mg/mg compared to hydrocodone.....so a person only using when needed, could knock that down to 5 dollars a day......

so about 150-300 a month if you went that route instead.....

it's a no brainer..

Guess what crops the Mexican drug cartels down where those students went missing are actually growing now?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's difficult to get through you're paranoia, but it appears that the drug classification was changed because of over proscribing and abuse. I understand why that concerns you, but I think most non-addicts aren't going to be worried about it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The shits everywhere out here. Hell, its crazy that I even know where to buy the shit. Dumb asses. What simpleton minds in every generation keep coming up with the idea they can chase the dragon and get away with it. Hell, in my day it was cool cause Mick Jagger was on junk. Never understood those idiots.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
It sounds like you have a legit reason to utilize medication to improve your lifestyle. The problem is all the make-believe "My neck hurts" or "I have fibroid-mialgia" bullshit that gets people addicted to opiates and other drugs.

We should probably just commercialize and regulate natural narcotics. Control the type of weed and other things people get. But I have a hard time figuring out what commercialized heroin and crack cocaine would look like....so where do you draw the line between legal/illegal?

maybe bring back laudanum. It was sold over the counter for decades. the strength and potency could be regulated. Until society comes around to the fact the the real problem is the desire to intoxicate..separate from legitimate pain control..this social problem will persist.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
The U.S is way too restrictive on opiods, other countries are much more relax. Look at codeine, a low grade opiate, that you need an RX to get almost everywhere. In most countries it is sold OTC and kids can buy it like they buy candy.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It's difficult to get through you're paranoia, but it appears that the drug classification was changed because of over proscribing and abuse. I understand why that concerns you, but I think most non-addicts aren't going to be worried about it.

As someone who's had their life ruined by doctors pussy-footing around with my treatment, I can tell you that's not the case. Almost three years since my body crapped out on me due to a genetic condition and still don't have effective pain management. I've pretty much settled on being a cripple for the rest of my life.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The U.S is way too restrictive on opiods, other countries are much more relax. Look at codeine, a low grade opiate, that you need an RX to get almost everywhere. In most countries it is sold OTC and kids can buy it like they buy candy.

No shit I'm moving to the UK! :D

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I am tired of writing quarterly checks to the irs so we can babysit drug offenders and enrich prison owners.

If someone wants to abuse percodan, let them. I would rather we stop releasing violent criminals so we can fill cells with junkies and pill poppers.

As long as the addicts are satiated with drugs they do not bother anyone.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I am tired of writing quarterly checks to the irs so we can babysit drug offenders and enrich prison owners.

If someone wants to abuse percodan, let them. I would rather we stop releasing violent criminals so we can fill cells with junkies and pill poppers.

The vast majority of drug addicts get probation anyway, it's probably more of a boone to the probation & parole system then actual prisons. The guys and gals in prison for drugs are extremely fucked up people. I'm sure some who land in there are not terrible people, but it's hard to find them.

I'm not sure how much you know about the prison system, but to my knowledge the people who are in there long term are usually the violent and deranged type criminals who have little hope of functioning in society.

In regards to this, many addicts steal, cheat, and in extreme circumstances harm to get their next high. Nothing will stand between them and the ability to get doped up, not even their own children. If they OD in their basement on their own, then I see your point, but don't believe people addicted to crack/heroin etc. have zero impact on society. The underground drug trade is an extremely dangerous business and the root of a lot of gang activity.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
The vast majority of drug addicts get probation anyway, it's probably more of a boone to the probation & parole system then actual prisons. The guys and gals in prison for drugs are extremely fucked up people. I'm sure some who land in there are not terrible people, but it's hard to find them.

I'm not sure how much you know about the prison system, but to my knowledge the people who are in there long term are usually the violent and deranged type criminals who have little hope of functioning in society.

In regards to this, many addicts steal, cheat, and in extreme circumstances harm to get their next high. Nothing will stand between them and the ability to get doped up, not even their own children. If they OD in their basement on their own, then I see your point, but don't believe people addicted to crack/heroin etc. have zero impact on society. The underground drug trade is an extremely dangerous business and the root of a lot of gang activity.

You honestly think we have 25% of the worlds prisoners despite having 5% of the population because we only incarcerate the most deranged people in society? Or maybe it's because our prisons are good at making people deranged and training them to be further criminals?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Most low-grade users I've been friends with are completely functional when they have their normal dose of opiate. The thing that destroys their life isn't the drug, but the illegality of the drug. Huge junkies like the people that shoot up are screwed, but I'd argue there are a lot more people popping illegal pills that shooting up with hard drugs.

The government says drugs destroy lives, but the government is the one breaking up families by sending drug users to jail, not the drugs. Messed up logic.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
How about we treat them rather than jailing them? Didn't we use to do this as a country in the past?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, the changes for hydrocdone from C3 to C2 will have a huge impact. Chronic pain sufferers will have even more difficulty in treating their symptoms. Functional addicts will be risking a lot more "trouble", and many I am sure will switch to alternate "easier to find" or "cheaper" (and potentially far more lethal!) alternatives.

Also, when people get oral surgery, or when they get inuries, they are likely going to be prescribed a less effective medication, since doctors can get in trouble for prescribing "too many" CII scripts.. and its more paperwork, and more hassle to prescribe...

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
HAHA you guys wanna hear something crazy as fuck!

i have a friend that just had to take a little trip to the ER after a car accident, broke a couple of ribs.....

guess what they wrote him........this is INSANE. Suboxone 8mg/2mg...x45.....no shit.

he's not going to take them because he knows what they are... but can you imagine ANYONE else in his shoes..... after taking 45 suboxones.....your GOING to have an addiction. period.

that's the whole plan though isn't it?

StarTech15

Oct 21, 2014
Hydrocodone formulations are being rescheduled by the DEA, moving from CLASS III, to CLASS II which is going to like QUADRUPLE the demand for illicit opoids.. and we all know exactly what's going to fill that newly created gap.... good ole mexican tar.

We already have a heroin epidemic. This will just make it even worse!