I think the quarantine has established most parents see school as day-care, not education.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why does it have to be one issue? Isn't it likely that many of those parents have to go to work? Isn't it possible that they feel their children aren't being well educated through remote learning? Maybe they're also concerned about their kids being socially stunted?

The clowns on the school board stepped up to the plate and demonstrated their "I don't give a fuck" mentality. Maybe now they'll be able to find a couple folks that do give a fuck.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Sure, that is true, but it is also true that a LOT of kids' experience with online learning has been crap.

I am grateful that our school district has opened up a bit (they go to school 2-3 days, online the rest of the week). I need to constantly bug them to do their work instead of watching youtube on their online days. I tried just blocking youtube, but the teachers use it to post videos of lessons. And there are plenty of other distractions online besides youtube. Getting some interaction with their peers has done wonders for one of my sons who was seriously depressed with online only.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Kids are required by law to go to school. All of sudden that decades long paradigm has been suspended and people whine about how parents don't have a backup plan.

Here's a hint, there are no daycare centers for school aged kids, because kids are supposed to be at school learning. Most jobs don't let you bring kids to work everyday, so no school, no daycare, means no job. Our entire society is built around the fact kids go to school.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Why does it have to be one issue? Isn't it likely that many of those parents have to go to work? Isn't it possible that they feel their children aren't being well educated through remote learning? Maybe they're also concerned about their kids being socially stunted?

The clowns on the school board stepped up to the plate and demonstrated their "I don't give a fuck" mentality. Maybe now they'll be able to find a couple folks that do give a fuck.

Is that the mentality they were displaying or was it the exact opposite?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I heard some of the spilled words.

Schools in my town have been closed since around mid-late March 2020. (Berkeley, CA, whose public schools are very highly regarded, one reason for the high property values). My neighbor has 2 kids, aged around 6 and 9, I'm guessing. She's been doing my grocery shopping, I talk to her occasionally. I told her on the phone that a lot of people home school their children, have done so since before, way before the pandemic and that a lot of those kids become very successful. (Many of the most successful people around, if you look into it, were home schooled, not schooled in public or private institutions).It's partly because their parents are highly motivated to educate their kids personally, have the notion (correct!) that they can do a better, in many cases MUCH better job in educating them. I wasn't presuming that she wanted to or is capable of doing that but I know she's intelligent enough to understand this and I think it's a really good thing to have in mind at this time. I added that it can and probably should be seen as an opportunity to awaken your own understandings.

It's also obviously an opportunity to connect on more levels with your kids. Yes, I understand that people are busy, but many parents have done this with great success for years and years, so it's possible. Of course, it works a lot better and easier for well educated parents!

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
These people obviously have no business on a school board right now. If they honestly think the only reason a parent wants their kid at school is so they can have free time and get high. Do these people not think anyone else works? Or do they think parents don't honestly care about their kids' education, mental health, and socialization?

What this quarantine has actually shown us is that the American society cares more about bars than educating children.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
These people obviously have no business on a school board right now. If they honestly think the only reason a parent wants their kid at school is so they can have free time and get high. Do these people not think anyone else works? Or do they think parents don't honestly care about their kids' education, mental health, and socialization?

What this quarantine has actually shown us is that the American society cares more about bars than educating children.
I was watching at least an hour of nightly news since the pandemic started in Wuhan. I find it hard not to keep hitting FAST FORWARD through much of it now, particularly the local news what with the focusing on how and when bars, nail salons, etc. are doing. I almost never go in a bar and if I do it's because it features music (there's been no live music here since March 2020). I've never been in a nail salon in my life and it's been 15+ years IIRC since I went in a barber shop. When I don't prepare my food, once in a while (more like a blue moon) I get take out, so I don't care who and to what extent is preparing indoor dining. Don't have kids, so I'm losing interest in keeping abreast of to what extent kids are getting their education at schools indoors and the ins and outs. I'm interested in the science of the pandemic in a major way but the things they present in the news usually has scant facts and is accessible in more detail and sooner elsewhere. I also have little patience for video interviews of people who have little understanding of the science of the pandemic. Why should I care what they think personally?

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was watching at least an hour of nightly news since the pandemic started in Wuhan. I find it hard not to keep hitting FAST FORWARD through much of it now, particularly the local news what with the focusing on how and when bars, nail salons, etc. are doing. I almost never go in a bar and if I do it's because it features music (there's been no live music here since March 2020). I've never been in a nail salon in my life and it's been 15+ years IIRC since I went in a barber shop. When I don't prepare my food, once in a while (more like a blue moon) I get take out, so I don't care who and to what extent is preparing indoor dining. Don't have kids, so I'm losing interest in keeping abreast of to what extent kids are getting their education at schools indoors and the ins and outs. I'm interested in the science of the pandemic in a major way but the things they present in the news usually has scant facts and is accessible in more detail and sooner elsewhere. I also have little patience for video interviews of people who have little understanding of the science of the pandemic. Why should I care what they think personally?
I can't stand local news even in normal times, I've almost entirely ignored it since the pandemic started.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

If you as a parent think that's the problem, then you're part of the problem.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I think the quarantine has established most parents see school as day-care, not education.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't have any children do you because if you did you would realize what a horse shit statement this is. And FWIW that school board was way the fuck outta line and it's no surprise at all that all of them resigned.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If you as a parent think that's the problem, then you're part of the problem.
If you are worried that your kids aren't getting a proper education and socialization right now you are part if the problem?

Do you actually have school aged kids?

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
If you are worried that your kids aren't getting a proper education and socialization right now you are part if the problem?

Do you actually have school aged kids?
As a matter of fact, we do have school aged children. I am saying that parents who think the school district is solely responsible for their children's education and socialization are part of the problem. Parents have just as much, if not more, responsibility for their children's education and well-being as the school district. To be clear, I am not absolving the school district of responsibility and I do agree that there needs to be improvements on how they handle this pandemic situation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Personally I think there are good and bad reasons why kids should stay home from school and why they should not. I think that when a conflict arises between those four positions people who already hate themselves and don't know it will react with hostility to anybody on the other side. That is because if a person with self hate is told they are wrong about something their general mental health issues get triggered. The feeling is always that somebody is trying to make them feel worthless and the response is to insult the source to convince one's self one is OK. Birds of a feather will flock to together and crow about the other side. Aren't we great, they sing.

Thank God I'm above all that sort of shit and two hundred percent American because I hate everybody and their kids. A bunch of walking germ bags

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The union in NYC is pretty much onboard with the re-opening plans here - a combo of increased testing and teachers getting the vaccine now with prioritty. Two women I spoke to on dating apps that work in schools both already have had their two doses.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As a matter of fact, we do have school aged children. I am saying that parents who think the school district is solely responsible for their children's education and socialization are part of the problem. Parents have just as much, if not more, responsibility for their children's education and well-being as the school district. To be clear, I am not absolving the school district of responsibility and I do agree that there needs to be improvements on how they handle this pandemic situation.
It’s hard to see how a reasonable person would take his post to mean that the school district is solely responsible.

The reality of the situation is it plays a large role though, as a huge amount of a child’s life revolves around school and parents are right to be concerned that their children are being poorly served. I suspect we will see a ripple effect, especially in the kids in say K-5 that will last years and years, especially among the poor.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
It’s hard to see how a reasonable person would take his post to mean that the school district is solely responsible.

The reality of the situation is it plays a large role though, as a huge amount of a child’s life revolves around school and parents are right to be concerned that their children are being poorly served. I suspect we will see a ripple effect, especially in the kids in say K-5 that will last years and years, especially among the poor.
You're right, there is no telling what the thoughts were behind his post but it sure sounds a lot like this:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Parents have responsibility and should take an active role in educating their kids. However, to claim they are the primary source of book education is ridiculous unless they are home schooling. Most even well off middle class married families I know don't go beyond the assigned school work.

This is also a horribly unempathic view, as many kids of one parent who has to work 50+ hours a week with multi-hour commutes. I guess those kids just don't deserve educated? If you have a stay at home mom, no-education for you.

I don't believe any one said anything about well being, we said socializing. But let's talk about well being. Child abuse complaints are WAY down since school has been out and a pretty high percentage of kids get their only decent meals through the schools. For many kids the only place they can afford to play sports, or have a safe place for physical activity, is at school.

We have made school an integral part of our society, it has allowed women to leave the house and given poor children the chance to break the cycle of poverty. People are right to be upset about it being made unavailable so bars can stay in business.

Also, I promise these shutdowns will be used by conservatives to attack school funding for years to come.

To be clear, I'm not saying we should have in person schooling damn the consequences. I'm saying making school safe and available should've been one of the top priorities for the country, not the dead last priority, which is what we have now.

Reactions: pmv

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Parents have responsibility and should take an active role in educating their kids. However, to claim they are the primary source of book education is ridiculous unless they are home schooling. Most even well off middle class married families I know don't go beyond the assigned school work.

This is also a horribly unempathic view, as many kids of one parent who has to work 50+ hours a week with multi-hour commutes. I guess those kids just don't deserve educated? If you have a stay at home mom, no-education for you.

I don't believe any one said anything about well being, we said socializing. But let's talk about well being. Child abuse complaints are WAY down since school has been out and a pretty high percentage of kids get their only decent meals through the schools. For many kids the only place they can afford to play sports, or have a safe place for physical activity, is at school.

We have made school an integral part of our society, it has allowed women to leave the house and given poor children the chance to break the cycle of poverty. People are right to be upset about it being made unavailable so bars can stay in business.

Also, I promise these shutdowns will be used by conservatives to attack school funding for years to come.

To be clear, I'm not saying we should have in person schooling damn the consequences. I'm saying making school safe and available should've been one of the top priorities for the country, not the dead last priority, which is what we have now.
No one disputed the fact that single parents have a legitimate grievance. My gripe is with parents who are merely inconvenienced by the circumstances that we are all in. They are a problem because they marginalize the situation. Hence, we end up with these board members making a mockery of them. Not to say what the board members did is excusable but when all they hear are entitled parents complaining about missing their manicure appointments they can't take them seriously. Put pressure on the board members but it serves no one to incapacitate them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
No one disputed the fact that single parents have a legitimate grievance. My gripe is with parents who are merely inconvenienced by the circumstances that we are all in. They are a problem because they marginalize the situation. Hence, we end up with these board members making a mockery of them. Not to say what the board members did is excusable but when all they hear are entitled parents complaining about missing their manicure appointments they can't take them seriously. Put pressure on the board members but it serves no one to incapacitate them.
I agree there are some parents that just want school to go back so they can get high all day. I'm guessing this is a very small set of parents.

There are parents that want in person school no matter what damn the consequences, damn any planning. Depending on location this is a bigger set.

But I think most parents honestly want what's best for their kids. We tried hard at home with our pre-K'er. Had a schedule, downloaded materials, worked with her a lot. But her education and happiness significantly improved once she could return to in person school.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I agree there are some parents that just want school to go back so they can get high all day. I'm guessing this is a very small set of parents.

There are parents that want in person school no matter what damn the consequences, damn any planning. Depending on location this is a bigger set.

But I think most parents honestly want what's best for their kids. We tried hard at home with our pre-K'er. Had a schedule, downloaded materials, worked with her a lot. But her education and happiness significantly improved once she could return to in person school.
Exactly - the closure of pre-k and elementary schools is especially harmful. Middle and high school kids aren't well served by remote learning but it's not nearly as bad. You stand a chance of getting a 16 year old to sit still and listen to class on an iPad. A four year old though? Not a chance.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I can't speak for those with older kids, but as someone who's eldest isn't even 4 yet--YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I NEED MY DAYCARE! Thankfully my eldest's pre-school never shut down during the pandemic--not once (I'm in between 2 huge research hospitals so plenty of frontline workers sending kids there.) We pulled her out in March and only sent her back in October, but we still paid a monthly portion of her tuition to a) keep her spot and b) pay her teachers/staff.

Unfortunately, we were late in securing a spot for her newborn sister, so still dealing with the constant interruptions.

Reactions: Zorba

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Exactly - the closure of pre-k and elementary schools is especially harmful. Middle and high school kids aren't well served by remote learning but it's not nearly as bad. You stand a chance of getting a 16 year old to sit still and listen to class on an iPad. A four year old though? Not a chance.

I think it's probably safe to say that a large majority of kids need some sort of guardian around to act as the structure that teachers (and/or their aides) would normally provide in a classroom setting. This can place a large burden upon a parent that may be trying to juggle work along with their child's education, and not all jobs are that flexible. I don't think it's surprising that we've seen negative reactions to parents' complaints; some of these people making negative remarks just aren't in the same situation. It can be hard for people to back up and look at things without the bias provided from their own perspective. In less words, we suck at empathy.