I think that we need a Coronavirus Poll on when the quarantine ends in the US!

When will the Coronavirus Quarantine in the US be over?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
With all of the negative news coming out regarding the Coronavirus pandemic, I think that we to should try to spin this into something interesting and thought provoking.

Therefore, I'm creating a Poll! Please take your best guess as to when the Coronavirus Quarantine ends in the US, and everything reopens. Let's see if the Wisdom Of Crowds picks the right timeframe for the crisis to be over!

Here are the rules, just to be clear:

1. By the "Quarantine being over", I mean that schools, stores, AND restaurants have reopened in at least 45 of the 50 US states.
  2. You have a week to make your response.
  3. Pick the closest date as possible, without going over. Price Is Right rules apply!
  4. People outside the US can participate in the poll, but the poll is for the US Quarantine only.
  5. And, YES, this is yet another Coronavirus thread... but it's the only one with a poll so far that I know of. Don't bitch about it!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I picked May 15th, because NASCAR racing is scheduled to restart around May 3rd.

It doesn't get more "MERICA!" than NASCAR... hell, Trump drove the first lap of the Daytona 500 in his limo.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
It will end when enough of the population have been exposed and the likelihood of a "spike" will not exceed our healthcare capacity. Or until a vaccine is available. It looks like our strategy is to slow down the infection rate, but in doing so will prolong the pain of quarantine precautions.

How long that takes idk. 18 months is a long time, and we should have a vaccine in a year. So my guess is a year. /Sigh...

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
it ends when the hospitals can handle the load again

right now it's assumed that they won't be able to handle the load without the quarantine

and almost certainly not even with it

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It will end when enough of the population have been exposed and the likelihood of a "spike" will not exceed our healthcare capacity. Or until a vaccine is available. It looks like our strategy is to slow down the infection rate, but in doing so will prolong the pain of quarantine precautions.

How long that takes idk. 18 months is a long time, and we should have a vaccine in a year. So my guess is a year. /Sigh...
I was just reading an article suggesting that repeated quarantines will be necessary.

Unless a miracle happens and either a vaccine or an anti-viral is approved quickly. Note that I'm trying to make a miracle happen with our Folding@Home team, and you can too. :)

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I was just reading an article suggesting that repeated quarantines will be necessary.

Unless a miracle happens and either a vaccine or an anti-viral is approved quickly. Note that I'm trying to make a miracle happen with our Folding@Home team, and you can too. :)

I started folding for team anandtech today with my nvidia 2070 that I hardly use anymore. The sooner this nightmare ends the better.

Reactions: Ken g6

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I voted May 31st... but really it's hard to tell so it's pretty much a wild guess. There will be lot of pressure from economic big wigs and rich investors to get the economy going again, while there will be pressure from medical professionals to continue the quarantine as it will take a long time to contain this. I think this whole thing will last through most of the summer but it will gradually taper off, so it won't really be all at once. I could see the schools remaining closed for the year, but other stuff starting back up in summer such as summer pro sports, maybe concerts etc. It will be gradual I think.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm with all the July people. It will be gone by then and the stock markets and the economy will go up right on through the end of the year. And in the meantime maybe there should be a Brazzers for women who want to see man pics. Unless there's already a section on it.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
At least we got a new category on the sites for coronavirus fetish now it seems. :p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow, the pessimism is strong in this thread. Lots of people voting for September 2020 or later.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I suspect the COVID19 virus thing will never totally be "over."
Yea, life will return pretty much to normal in a few weeks...hopefully sooner, but...don't hold your breath for the economy to recover quickly.
The virus itself will live on...and will probably mutate many times. (I know jack shit about viruses...merely speculating based on my vast knowledge from watching a couple of mediocre movies)

Reactions: highland145

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
The way our garbage fire government has reacted (and by reacted I mean did fucking nothing for weeks) I think you need to add 2021 to that poll and prepare yourself for it. This shit isn't going away in months, and by flattening the curve, you have to also extend the time it takes as well. People are still not taking this seriously and it will result in shelter-in-place nationwide for an indefinite period in my opinion. We're not even into the really serious period yet, we won't start seeing that until next week and the one after. That's when the bodies will start to really pile up.

People pointing to Wuhan for hope/insight into how things are going to go here are completely forgetting that China imposed extreme lockdown measures that we just aren't doing here, not fast enough, not hardcore enough, too little too late. I wonder what will happen in November when it's deemed unsafe to have an election. I would love to be wrong about all of this, but only time will tell.