I think that I am having buyer's remorse...

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Today I bought this Skil saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-469...&qid=1192327783&sr=1-8

I am currently on a project that involved cutting PVC pipe (only 1.5 inch). The best tool I had was this jig saw. I know that it isn't a great tool for this task, but i thought I could get the job done. It ended up being the worst cut I have ever had, and I through the pipe out. I then had to cut a simple chunk out from some plywood. This beast jumped all over the place. I could not control it. It is extremely hard to handle and to get a good cut.

I am now wondering if I should have gone with the Bosch they had. Home Depot had one very similar to the one linked below, except it was only $120.

http://www.homedepot.com/webap...D=401&locStoreNum=8125

Should I trade in this Skil saw for the Bosch? I am seriously considering it now.

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: TheTony
Were you using the right blade for the job?

Not for the PVC, but as far as the wood, it shouldn't have been as difficult as it was.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
A jigsaw is not the choice for cutting PVC piping, it's always going to jump around like that unless the object you are cutting is securely fastened down. Your alternative was to get blades that had reverse cut teeth, so that instead of pulling up they pushed down when they cut.

I have a Skil jigsaw with a light, it's done a good job for me so far. Blades make all the difference, though. I spend good money on blades and skimp on the tool itself, for the most part. :p

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
A jigsaw is not the choice for cutting PVC piping, it's always going to jump around like that unless the object you are cutting is securely fastened down. Your alternative was to get blades that had reverse cut teeth, so that instead of pulling up they pushed down when they cut.

I have a Skil jigsaw with a light, it's done a good job for me so far. Blades make all the difference, though. I spend good money on blades and skimp on the tool itself, for the most part. :p

On your saw, does the blade seem loose when you clip it in? Mabye this is just normal, but it is just different from my old one.

This is what I used to use by the way:
http://www.eaa180.org/toolbox/...kndecker_sabre_saw.jpg

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
They have this gadget that has two handles connected with a thick piece of wire and you use that for a saw. Cuts through PVC like butter and only costs like $3.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BradT

On your saw, does the blade seem loose when you clip it in? Mabye this is just normal, but it is just different from my old one.

No, there is zero looseness in the blade. I just checked your Amazon link and that is the exact saw I have, save for the laser. Try pushing it in harder. Yours has a collar to secure it, correct?

BradT

Jul 17, 2007

No, there is zero looseness in the blade. I just checked your Amazon link and that is the exact saw I have, save for the laser. Try pushing it in harder. Yours has a collar to secure it, correct?

There is a little gadget that you slide up for easy release. Its not a screw in or anything. I push it in as far as it will go and it can wiggle front and backwards.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

There is a little gadget that you slide up for easy release. Its not a screw in or anything. I push it in as far as it will go and it can wiggle front and backwards.

Something is not right. The blade should be completely solid to the moving arm.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I have an 18v cordless Bosch jigsaw and it's been a great tool. I've done loads of stuff with it and had no problems.... After 4 years the batteries are dying, but that's to be expected....

BradT

Jul 17, 2007

Something is not right. The blade should be completely solid to the moving arm.

Is yours the same kind of clip in for the blade where it has a push release?

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
the blade moving front to back a bit is normal in an Orbital Jigsaw. this could be what you are experiencing. Make sure the orbital control is set to low/no orbit. these cheaper models are kinda sloppy and you will experience some blade movement no matter what ime.

this is what you should have vought for cutting pvc pipe

Im not sure why you experienced rough cutting on the plywood though, If the material was clamped down and you were using a medium tooth blade to cut it everything should be fine. I prefer blades in the 12-16 tooth raange for plywood cutting.

you may get somewhat better results getting the bosch model, but the extra cost may not be worth it. The bosch is the professional line whereas the skil is more geared towards homeowners. They are both produced by the same corporation.

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
the blade moving front to back a bit is normal in an <Orbital Jigsaw. this could be what you are experiencing. Make sure the orbital control is set to low/no orbit. these cheaper models are kinda sloppy and you will experience some blade movement no matter what ime.

this is what you should have vought for cutting pvc pipe

Im not sure why you experienced rough cutting on the plywood though, If the material was clamped down and you were using a medium tooth blade to cut it everything should be fine. I prefer blades in the 12-16 tooth raange for plywood cutting.

you may get somewhat better results getting the bosch model, but the extra cost may not be worth it. The bosch is the professional line whereas the skil is more geared towards homeowners. They are both produced by the same corporation.

When I adjust the orbital control the device that holds the blade loosens to move backwards and frontwards. The blade stays at the same looseness.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The blade is going to be somewhat loose, this is how you get the orbital action. Sadly the blade doesnt get any tighter when you turn orbiting down/low. The guide behind the blade is supposed to get closer and tighter to the blade thus keeping it from moving around too much. Sounds like what you wanted is a basic jigsaw that has no orbital or scroll option, these have a fixed blade attachment. Although im not ruling out that you have a faulty quick connect. A bit of movement from the blade is quite typical for these type of saws.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
man cutting PVC with a jigsaw....

Based on that I'd take it to a Home Depot/Lowes/etc and ask someone if it seems right. These stores around me have some crappy employees and a few really knowledgable ones.