I think pet ownership is somewhat cruel

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
Dog ownership especially. It's like having a psychological leash around somebody all the time. The only thing I can compare it too is slavery. Does anybody agree with me?

This would not appear to be either politics or news, so off to OT it goes.

Rainsford
AnandTech P&N Moderator

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Yes, its much better for them to have never lived. I wouldn't want all my needs catered to only to offer fuzziness and affection in return.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Originally posted by: eilute
Dog ownership especially. It's like having a psychological leash around somebody all the time. The only thing I can compare it too is slavery. Does anybody agree with me?

Drink too much?

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
What if the pet chooses the human?

Someone I know wanted a cat. She went to the local animal shelter to meet some cats. One cat latched onto her and would not let go, so she ended up taking that one home. The cat seems very content.

Is that cruel? I dunno.

Edit: I would say pet ownership is cruel only if the animal is mistreated or does not want to live with humans.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Owning a pet is very similar to having a 5 year old (except less mood swings, less money and NEVER grows up).

I am willing to wager that my dogs are happier than most humans ;) Not because I spoil them, but because I treat them properly.

Either way, its not like slavery. Unless there were some VERY lazy slaves that only went for walks and ate crap out of the trashcan despite just being served dinner.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Pandaren

Someone I know wanted a cat. She went to the local animal shelter to meet some cats. One cat latched onto her and would not let go, so she ended up taking that one home. The cat seems very content.

Is that cruel? I dunno.

Edit: I would say pet ownership is cruel only if the animal is mistreated or does not want to live with humans.

IMO, not walking your dog (ie - sticking it in the back yard and expecting that to cover for a "walk") is mistreatment. Not disciplining your dog as needed (ive never hit my dog, despite being VERY dominant - only a firm touch or a quick word takes care of it if you are the dogs owner and not vice versa) is mistreatment, IMO.

Short of abuse, I cant think of how you would mistreat a cat, since you dont ever really own one, they own you.

And yeah, Im pretty sure slaves would produce more than poop and a plentiful supply of snot I have to clean off the window everyday.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I used to think this way, when I was much younger (like 12). I don't agree with it at all anymore. I especially thought training was along the lines of slavery, but my dog LOVES to be trained and do tricks. I got over that feeling pretty quick, only last a year or so.

But like I said, my dog loves learning new tricks and performing them. So I don't think it is slavery at all. Much more like having a kid that doesn't really grow up, like Kappo said.

halfpower

Mar 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Pandaren

Is that cruel? I dunno.

I think in the situation, the cat does not have sufficient intelligence to consent to the ownership.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
My dog waked me up @ 6am every morning for an hour jog or so...as well as "tells" me when hes hungry/needs a walk/wants to sleep.

Sometimes I feel like he owns me =/

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Uhhh, no. I believe you have it completely backwards.

My dog and cat actually own my wife and I.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Someone in a older thread (the one about the US Marine throwing a puppy into a ravine) put it very well, along the lines of:

Animals (pets) are precious little jewels. They have only so much time to spend on this Earth, and the entire time they offer you unconditional love that's yours to waste.

I think that pets really only belong in the hands of people who have the capacity to care for and love them as they righfully deserve. Fuck this whole 150 dogs in a house in Florida bullshit. Those people should be shot.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse

That explains a lot of your posts.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

No. Growing up with dogs around, I think it's obvious to anyone that dogs love to be part of people's lives. They thrive when they feel as though they're "part of the pack." They love pleasing their owners and, if their owners treat them right, they live incredibly good, productive, loving lives.

Dogs don't think like we do. They don't want independence. They want to be told where they belong - be it at the bottom, in the middle, or at the top.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

You know we all live in a comfy society when people starting worrying about this crap.

Move to OT plz

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

You are anthropromorphizing dogs' view of things. As has been pointed out, dogs with kind, responsible owners unquestioningly and unconditionally LOVE the pack within which their principle owner is the Alpha.

Both dogs and cats live much longer and healthier lives in the care of good humans than they ever would/could do on their own.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yes, but now I suppose you're going to come out and say slavery is always bad, and the world doesn't work with black and whites does it? Ask my fat useless cats if they'd rather I boot them from the house instead of provide unlimited water and food and comfortable spots in a climate controlled house. They scratch you. Except they can't because I removed their front claws hah!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
My dogs are treated and eat better than most humans.

When one was diagnosed with cancer at one year of age. She had surgery, chemotherapy, has had back surgery for a ruptured disc and is a happy/healthy 10 year old puppy.. I think most slave owners would have put a slave down with these kind of illnesses.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I guess you didn't know the earth is in a bottle on the play desk of a baby Q.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I don't think so. It is only cruel when they are mistreated/neglected/abused. Dogs' existence in a large part depends on humans. It is a natural, mutually beneficial relationship both physically and psychologically. Before modern times (and in some cases still), dogs offer us companionship, protection, and assistance (hunting, tracking, etc.). We offer the same to them. Dogs (as opposed from wolves) mostly require a human-based food supply.

Dogs give us their all, and all they ask in return is our time and attention.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre

That explains a lot of your posts.

:confused:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For once I agree with palehorse, my wife and I have two dogs and two cats, they own us as much as we own them. Maybe having pets is not for everyone, but its an enriching experience for us. We do spay our pets, but they ask so little and give so much.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
A couple problems...

1) there is a major surplus of 'pets'...'being owned' is a lot better than dying.

2) pets don't think like people, they don't need as high a level of stimulation to be happy.

3) Dogs are pack animals, if they can't be alpha; the long to serve the alpha. A solidary dog is a sad one.

In reality, sure pets would probably be happier without boundaries and rules. So would people though.

Much like your toddler than thinks they should be able to go roam the neighborhood at night, so does your pet...they may balk at first but eventually they learn the rules.

We walk our cats on a harness around our property.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As has been stated, my dog probably lives better than about 3 billion other people on this planet.

Kind of sad when you think of it that way.