I think Paul Rodgers is the most underrated rock vocalist of all time

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Damn, i never realized how talented he was...

For most of my life I didn't either.

It's because he's not a "listen to how great I am. Look at ME" guy like so many vocalists. He's all about the music. I really respect that.

Interesting fact - he got asked to replace Jim Morrison.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
He isn't underrated at all. He's had a fuck ton of hits. I saw him with jimmy page at the coliseum in LA and he was pitch perfect.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
He isn't underrated at all. He's had a fuck ton of hits. I saw him with jimmy page at the coliseum in LA and he was pitch perfect.

Not "underrated" as in "nobody thinks he's any good". Everyone knows Paul Rodgers is good.

Underrated as in among the best ever. I've probably been in 100 "Who's the best rock vocalist ever" arguments in my life with 100 different groups of people. You'll get answers as varied as Robert Plant, David Coverdale, Brad Delp, Lou Graham etc.

But Paul Rodgers never seems to come up. I think part of the reason is that despite having an incredible set of chops he doesn't sing in a high register all of the time. He lets the music dictate where he sings, and that makes it all the more effective when he really lets go.

At this point in my life I think he's top 5 minimum.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Not "underrated" as in "nobody thinks he's any good". Everyone knows Paul Rodgers is good.

Underrated as in among the best ever. I've probably been in 100 "Who's the best rock vocalist ever" arguments in my life with 100 different groups of people. You'll get answers as varied as Robert Plant, David Coverdale, Brad Delp, Lou Graham etc.

But Paul Rodgers never seems to come up. I think part of the reason is that despite having an incredible set of chops he doesn't sing in a high register all of the time. He lets the music dictate where he sings, and that makes it all the more effective when he really lets go.

I see. I would put this man as one of the most underrated vocalists. I actually remember trading 2 of his albums for For vh1. Not only that but he still has his voice.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Think you have to throw Roger Daltry in that top 5 somewhere, "Love reign O'er me" is still stunning as it ever was.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I love that song.

Even in those great classic BC hits his musicianship and musical instincts are on such a high level.

He sings the song not as a glitzy over-the-top rock lead vocalist. He sings it like a storyteller, like a guy reminiscing about a friend he knew long ago. There's a sadness, a melancholy in his voice.

I love listening to the guy sing.

Reactions: BUTCH1 and stargazr

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I love that song.

Even in those great classic BC hits his musicianship and musical instincts are on such a high level.

He sings the song not as a glitzy over-the-top rock lead vocalist. He sings it like a storyteller, like a guy reminiscing about a friend he knew long ago. There's a sadness, a melancholy in his voice.

I love listening to the guy sing.
Yea, I never flip the station when this comes on, the line "Johnny's life passed by like a warm sunny day, if you listen to the wind you can still hear him play"..

Reactions: dasherHampton

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I think we should keep this thread going with more selections, while not typically known as a "rock"
band Three Dog Night did have some great songs and quite the lead singer in Chuck Negron, here's
"easy to be hard",
The sustain he's holding on that last note is quite a thing..